Lets talk Post Frame/Pole Barns

3/13/14 @ 4:15 PM
ORIGINAL POST
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
Lets talk pole barns! I didn't see a thread about buildings so thought I'd start one. Don't worry about Hijacking this thread...lets talk about anything. I'll start out with this question. I'm finally going to have a post frame building built this year. Has anyone ever had any experience with Strat-O-Span ? Their pricing is good, looks like a decent building for the money. Even though they were founded in 1899...I'm having trouble finding ANY conversation regarding this company on line...good or bad?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 18 of 18 Posts
3/20/14 @ 9:54 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I use a Hot Dawg propane heater in mine. Biggest issue is that my exhaust pipe got bent from snow sliding off the roof. Last fall I installed a snow bar to prevent this from happening. Same damn thing happened this year, lot of good that did!! That stainless exhaust pipe is pricey too. I have to figure something else out this year. Just wanted to pass that along, vent out a gable end if you can and you would avoid that issue.

Post Your Comment
3/20/14 @ 6:59 AM
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
Thanks for recommending Schley, I just sent them a request but not sure they'll be willing to travel down here to us? We're app. 30 miles south of the WI, IL line. Our building will be 48 x 80 x16 with an insulated liner panel ceiling and walls. If anyone else has a comment about a post frame builder you've had experience with in our general area, feel free.

I'm thinking about installing a wall to divide the building for heating purposes. 30' of the 80' length would be cold storage. The rest will have (1) hot dawg 123K heater and wood burner on the inside. Anyone heat there building with wood? What type of insulation do you have? Unless someone talks me into something different, I'm planning of blown R-38 in the ceiling and fiberglass R-19 in the walls.

Post Your Comment
3/15/14 @ 7:39 PM
huntfish
huntfish
USER since 6/16/03
I agree with a 6/12 pitch roof minimum to avoid snow buildup, and if it does, should slide off during warm-up.

Edited on 3/15/14 7:39 PM
Post Your Comment
3/15/14 @ 1:46 PM
brookie1957
brookie1957
MEMBER since 5/25/07
I live in Phelps WI and I had Schley builders put up my 42 x 63 x 14 ft side walls pole building. I had over 2 feet of snow on the building this year and it hled up great. They custom build them and are very reasonable in cost. Highly recommend them Schley builders 715-546-3634

Post Your Comment
3/14/14 @ 9:44 PM
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
Yeah I agree. It does seem like most post frame builders base design skimps on the roof... posts on 10' centers and a 3/12 or 4/12 pitch roof. All of them will gladly include posts 8' OC and trusses 4' apart if you ask for the extra cost. Utah, I agree, doubling up the trusses like that has got to be better, just don't see many done like that around here ( Northern Illinois).

Even though the building is costly, the real shock from a money stand point came with the concrete cost.

Anyone had an experience with Strat-O-Span builders? There from around the west central part of Illinois /St. Louis area.

Post Your Comment
3/14/14 @ 2:14 PM
utahman
utahman
USER since 3/9/03
A heck of a lot of barns have caved in this year and last. Mostly older ones with wooden gussets, and old oxidized galvanized steel. Thats not the question here now, though.I am a home builder and the best tip I could give you I learned from a pole barn builder out of Brigham City, Utah. Double your trusses. NOT together but, like on a 10x10 post you put one on each side. 1 1/2"for the truss, 6" space,1 1/2" on the other side and then put solid blocking between, all the way up and between both trusses. It will cost more for the extra trusses but guaranteed to be at least twice or better stronger.Also I see on alot of even newer barns the pitch is too low, even with newer steel the snow isnt sliding off. I think a 6/12 pitch should be minimum. After a couple of years dirt starts sticking to the metal and other factors make snow stick.

Post Your Comment
3/14/14 @ 5:26 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
This is my buddies shed in Oneida Co. Two boats inside. Glad one of my boats wasn't in there! So on discussion, I wouldn't try and pinch pennies on the roof. That building was probably built to specs, but not specs for Norther Wisconsin. This winter has put a lot of unsuspected hardships on all of us. Just go heavy duty on the roof.

Post Your Comment