late fall oysters?

11/10/14 @ 7:58 AM
ORIGINAL POST
ohioguy
ohioguy
USER since 4/19/05
Look like late fall oysters to me - any other ideas? Any dangerous look-a-likes?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
11/18/14 @ 5:48 AM
ohioguy
ohioguy
USER since 4/19/05
jack-o-lanterns I think are more orange, and have a more defined stem. these guys were tasty. I found some more beautiful clumps of smaller oysters in a guy's yard on some logs on Saturday, even after snow (in NH, not Wi.).

Post Your Comment
11/17/14 @ 8:17 AM
Foundry Rat
Foundry Rat
USER since 1/21/10
As far as I know, the only mushroom that grows on the side of trees that is toxic is the Jack-o-lantern. It looks a little like Chicken mushroom or Oysters but if you turn off the lights, in a dark room, it glows. Hence the name. Shelf mushrooms and Polypores are very safe that way. Some you won't want to eat but only the Jack-o-lantern is toxic and only causes upset stomach for a couple hrs. to a couple days.

Post Your Comment
11/11/14 @ 5:32 AM
ohioguy
ohioguy
USER since 4/19/05
Yes, they came off a tree. I hadn't previously seen them this late in the year, or with the brownish color. These are too big for angel wings, and had no stem like the elm oysters have. A buddy at work is pretty good at IDing, so once I check with them they'll be cooked up!

thx

Post Your Comment
11/10/14 @ 7:57 PM
ttreebark
ttreebark
USER since 7/6/06
Oysters yes if came off a tree, as far as look-a-likes. Angel wings and Elm Oysters, both are edible. Angel wings good flavor I don't care for Elm oysters. From what I've seen Oysters grow on very dead trees. I see Elm Oysters on live trees where a wound is. Angel wings grown on Conifers. All are white to grey and have gills and grow on wood. Again this is what I've observed.

Edited on 11/10/14 7:59 PM
Post Your Comment