Lake Puckaway's Vanishing Act

4/16/14 @ 12:44 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Reel Finny
Reel Finny
USER since 6/21/07
Sadly,because of politics,lack of concern and power of boaters as well as a DNR that is unwilling to engage the aforementioned,the lake is doomed . A thank you however to the Lake Assn. for doing what it can.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
5/11/14 @ 8:22 PM
chuckc
chuckc
USER since 3/21/14
The "old days" were not necessarily better days or more game rich days. Things change and evolve. When a forest reaches maturity it crowds out (blocks the sunlight) everything beneath and you end up with very little food in that huge forest. We are beginning to experience that now, again, as the forests that we clear cut and harvested years ago are again mature enough to crowd out the under story. Many of the lakes that are present now were not present "back in the day", because they are impoundments (created via dams).

Yes, there was a lot of certain critters, and in fact there were other critters that are no longer present here and in some cases anywhere outside of the Smithsonian.

Times change, not always for the better, not always for the worse. ChuckC

Post Your Comment
4/18/14 @ 8:42 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
The book consistently describes the richness of the mammal and fowl population. Buffalo and elk were abundant from Lake Superior and everywhere south. Turkeys were abundant from the Illinois/Wisc border and south from there. Despite the popular myth that Indians didnt waste food, overharvesting by natives was not uncommon. Killing buffalo just to harvest the tongue and some internal organs for a midsummer feast of delicacies was often witnessed. But population dynamics was such that this behavior was not considered wasteful.

Winter time in the north was a whole other story. Starvation was common in some years. Hunting game was near impossible in winters of heavy snow.

What strikes me the most was how mobile the native people were. Rivers and lakes were the main travelways. So people along the great lakes as far away as Lk Huron and Lk Erie were familiar with those people living in southern Illinois, Missouri and Iowa. This is even before the Europeans introduced the fur trade. Not that such long distance travel was highly common. But it was common enough.

Post Your Comment
4/18/14 @ 6:38 AM
piker_biker
piker_biker
USER since 12/27/07
When I lived in the area I always wondered how beautiful and rich with game it must've been way back before people lived in WI. There's a reason Indians settled there. Same where I live in Waukesha county now. There had to be so many fish and so much game it was incredible. I often wish I could go back in time and live here in the 1700s. Even if I wouldn't have a rod and reel.

Post Your Comment
4/17/14 @ 10:10 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
That book I just returned to the appleton public library so the online address is apl.org. Then click on infosoup then click on library catalog. The book is called "Up Country-Voices From the Great Lakes Wilderness" and is series of excerpts taken from the diaries of different french and english explorers in the 1600s up to the revolutionary war. Also you can search for the various explorers and see if the library has their diary. many of these complete diaries are availabel from the library. Most libraries in the area share books so you might be able to get it shipped to your local library for pickup.

Up Country has excerpts from diaries of over 20 people including Marquette, Renard, Allouez, Hennepin, plus some of the men that started the big trading companies back then.

Right now i am reading Raddissons diary, a french trapper/hunter that got screwed by the french govt so he joined forces with the English and founded the Hudson Bay Trading Co. Lots of fun living in them days Wink

Edited on 4/17/14 10:21 PM
Post Your Comment
4/16/14 @ 10:15 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
I am in the middle of what I consider a very interesting read of the diaries of Fr Marquette and 2 others who explored the Fox in the 1600s. This lake was so congested with wild rice and grass that the canoes path would take 5 miles of river to travel 1/4 mile of progress. They also remark on the heavy population of waterfowl, they could shoot more than they could ever eat or want.

Post Your Comment