Kids and Mentors Outdoors (KAMO)

8/23/12 @ 4:50 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Onalaskan
Onalaskan
USER since 1/24/02
KAMO is a Wisconsin-based non-profit organization that gets kids off their earbuds and into the outdoors. Never before has there been such a substantial need for adults to pass their outdoor skills on to a younger generation that has become disconnected with nature. KAMO has 5 chapters - Florence, Ladysmith, New Lisbon, Baraboo, La Crosse/ Onalaska. Kamokids.org is the group's website and provides details, contact information and photos of the group's activities. KAMO is unique in that members of the group plan, organize, and finance activities year around. These activities can be done one on one, small or large group. KAMO mentors are encouraged to contribute the time what they can comfortably give and are not pushed for more. KAMO has been popular and can always use new mentors who bring their ideas and energy to the group. The La Crosse group I'm a memeber of could use some people for Learn to Hunts or other mentored hunting experiences for events on the river and local Mississippi Valley properties. We are open to someone who may have horses or places to camp as that is what our kids are asking for.I will try to post our activities on here once in a while.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 117 Posts
12/12/17 @ 8:51 PM
kamojimkurz
kamojimkurz
USER since 3/21/17

Hi Folks,  this is Jim Kurz, KAMO State Secretary with some comments and news about KAMO.  My friend Floyd and I drove down to Poynette about 200 miles, home to our 6th chapter this last weekend.  (Our 7th chapter is in the Marshfield/Stevens Point area--check out our web site for contacts.)  We mentored 2 kids out of 23 kids total on a deer hunt Friday afternoon, Saturday, and Sunday morning, harvested 10 antlerless deer; the novice hunters could have shot a buck but it didn't happen this year.

The "Joe Hunt" is a big deal as you might imagine.  Board and room was at the MacKenzie Center and took a lot of effort just for that.  Also many landowners offered their land for hunting and that also took a lot of communication and scouting time by the Lake Wisconsin Chapter and by the Baraboo River Chapter.

While there some of us discussed why we can't get more chapters going across the state, when EVERYONE we discuss KAMO with think it's the greatest idea for kids they hafve ever heard of.  What do you think we need to do?  I think we need more people to actually pitch in their time and efforts and friends to make new chapters.  We'll help.

Jim Kurz

Post Your Comment
12/12/17 @ 1:27 PM
hodge91
hodge91
USER since 12/31/03
Some pics from a fishing outing

Post Your Comment
12/11/17 @ 7:27 AM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

A few pictures from KAMO's recent outing at the McKenzie Environmental Center. 

Post Your Comment
12/10/17 @ 5:33 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

A shot of the section of dorm bunks the Coulee Chapter stayed in for two nights while hunting with our kids near Poynette. Chilling in the cafeteria. The Saturday night bingo event. In all 24 hunting pairs participated. Nine kids got a deer - for most their first.

Post Your Comment
12/10/17 @ 5:24 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Mc Kenzie Environmental Center - site of "The Joe", a mentored hunting experience during the 2017 statewide anterless deer hunt. The buildings are the dorms, a shot inside the lodge, a young mentee on dishes detail.. 

Post Your Comment
12/10/17 @ 5:18 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Mentoring kid at arm's distance from stuffed chair. I read and look out one direction. He looks out the other direction and lets me know when my attention is needed. Hunting a DMAP property weeding out some of their many, many does. This was his first deer.

Post Your Comment
11/23/17 @ 2:12 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

A few more pics from one of our longer term hunting mentees fro some outings this year. I tried to rotate the one pic, but no matter what, it still shows like it does.

Post Your Comment
11/23/17 @ 2:05 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Have received two phone calls from a group in Dane County that is willing to provide resource support to outdoors people in Dane County interested in starting a KAMO chapter there. It takes four people to get one going. 

All I have to say is "Many were called, few were chosen".

Post Your Comment
11/19/17 @ 7:27 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Letter from parent. Sums up why KAMO exists, why mentors do what they do, and the results of long-term participation.

Hi Mike,  

I wanted to share with you and all the other KAMO Mentors that Nathan got his 1st deer last night! No, it was not during a KAMO outing, but it NEVER could have happened without everything KAMO has done for him, AND myself. Hunter Safety on the Prairie for both of us, countless hours of mentorship, & leading by example!   

He's had a great year duck and goose hunting as well.

Thank you so much for everything. I am quite certain as soon as he is able, Nathan will someday follow in your footsteps and be a mentor to other youth.

Post Your Comment
11/18/17 @ 8:41 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Archer Chauderay with his first deer. His grandpa, Darvin, took him out near La Crosse.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 117 Posts