Kids and Mentors Outdoors (KAMO)

8/23/12 @ 4:50 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Onalaskan
Onalaskan
USER since 1/24/02
KAMO is a Wisconsin-based non-profit organization that gets kids off their earbuds and into the outdoors. Never before has there been such a substantial need for adults to pass their outdoor skills on to a younger generation that has become disconnected with nature. KAMO has 5 chapters - Florence, Ladysmith, New Lisbon, Baraboo, La Crosse/ Onalaska. Kamokids.org is the group's website and provides details, contact information and photos of the group's activities. KAMO is unique in that members of the group plan, organize, and finance activities year around. These activities can be done one on one, small or large group. KAMO mentors are encouraged to contribute the time what they can comfortably give and are not pushed for more. KAMO has been popular and can always use new mentors who bring their ideas and energy to the group. The La Crosse group I'm a memeber of could use some people for Learn to Hunts or other mentored hunting experiences for events on the river and local Mississippi Valley properties. We are open to someone who may have horses or places to camp as that is what our kids are asking for.I will try to post our activities on here once in a while.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 111 Posts
TODAY @ 2:12 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

A few more pics from one of our longer term hunting mentees fro some outings this year. I tried to rotate the one pic, but no matter what, it still shows like it does.

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 2:05 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Have received two phone calls from a group in Dane County that is willing to provide resource support to outdoors people in Dane County interested in starting a KAMO chapter there. It takes four people to get one going. 

All I have to say is "Many were called, few were chosen".

Post Your Comment
11/19/17 @ 7:27 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Letter from parent. Sums up why KAMO exists, why mentors do what they do, and the results of long-term participation.

Hi Mike,  

I wanted to share with you and all the other KAMO Mentors that Nathan got his 1st deer last night! No, it was not during a KAMO outing, but it NEVER could have happened without everything KAMO has done for him, AND myself. Hunter Safety on the Prairie for both of us, countless hours of mentorship, & leading by example!   

He's had a great year duck and goose hunting as well.

Thank you so much for everything. I am quite certain as soon as he is able, Nathan will someday follow in your footsteps and be a mentor to other youth.

Post Your Comment
11/18/17 @ 8:41 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Archer Chauderay with his first deer. His grandpa, Darvin, took him out near La Crosse.

Post Your Comment
11/12/17 @ 1:34 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

The KAMOKIDS we're at Friday night's LA Crosse Chill game fifteen strong plus some Mentors and parents. The youngster on the right through a puck that landed in the tire on the ice which was good for $305.

Post Your Comment
11/12/17 @ 11:45 AM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Views from Tundra Swan viewing day. Thousands of birds of every description. Tundra swans use their feet to dig tubers out of the bottom and then eat the equivalent of two jars per day.

Post Your Comment
11/12/17 @ 11:37 AM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Mentor Fritz Funk with a youth, Adam, he works with at swimming pool where Adam competed.

Post Your Comment
11/2/17 @ 6:28 AM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Pics from the La Crosse School District's day off from school on October 30th.

Mentors Tim Collins, Fritz Funk, John Wetzel, and Jim March were involved.

Pictured are mentees Tony Dodge and Caleb Harter.

My prediction from this spring that this KAMO blog would be viewed 40,000 times by the summer of 2018 was proven inaccurate by you followers. It has been viewed over 40,000 times as of October 2017.

That's what I'm talking about! 

Post Your Comment
10/27/17 @ 4:40 PM
kamojimkurz
kamojimkurz
USER since 3/21/17

All seven KAMO Chapters have been active this summer of 2017.  Fall usually emphasizes hunting but other things as well.  Check out our monthly newsletters at kamokids.org for our recent activities.

Our "Joe Hunt" at the DNR's MacKenzie Center near Poynette requires a lot of work from our Baraboo River and Poynette Chapters, but then when you take 20 or 30 kids out deer hunting, each with a mentor, there is a lot of organizing, snooping the area for willing landowners, and signing up kids and mentors!

Jim Kurz, Indianhead Chapter in Ladysmith--Join us!

Post Your Comment
10/21/17 @ 4:22 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

KAMO mentors took some kids out duck hunting on their day off from school. This youth got a galdwall, a pintail, and another kind (I'm not a duck guy).

Edited on 10/27/17 8:26 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 111 Posts