Kids and Mentors Outdoors (KAMO)

8/23/12 @ 5:50 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Onalaskan
Onalaskan
USER since 1/24/02
KAMO is a Wisconsin-based non-profit organization that gets kids off their earbuds and into the outdoors. Never before has there been such a substantial need for adults to pass their outdoor skills on to a younger generation that has become disconnected with nature. KAMO has 5 chapters - Florence, Ladysmith, New Lisbon, Baraboo, La Crosse/ Onalaska. Kamokids.org is the group's website and provides details, contact information and photos of the group's activities. KAMO is unique in that members of the group plan, organize, and finance activities year around. These activities can be done one on one, small or large group. KAMO mentors are encouraged to contribute the time what they can comfortably give and are not pushed for more. KAMO has been popular and can always use new mentors who bring their ideas and energy to the group. The La Crosse group I'm a memeber of could use some people for Learn to Hunts or other mentored hunting experiences for events on the river and local Mississippi Valley properties. We are open to someone who may have horses or places to camp as that is what our kids are asking for.I will try to post our activities on here once in a while.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 97 Posts
9/17/17 @ 7:52 AM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

My youth assistant Ken and I hosted a scavenger hunt/ kite flying event at Myrick Park on Saturday, September 16th. These pictures do not convey the excitement shown by the kids as they searched for hidden pins in the park and later constructed kites out of a Drachen kit, colored them up, and flew them. This scavenger/ kite combo is a great combo activity. A group of older kids enjoyed their first duck hunt on Lake Onalaska with seasoned mentors and duck hunters Tim Collins and John Wetzel.

Post Your Comment
9/9/17 @ 5:01 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

I couldn't really find a discussion topic thread to put this comment on, but since this  concerns a boat I use to take KAMO kids fishing, I'll start here and let my readers offer suggestions that will be followed up on. If you can think of an appropriate thread on this site, for example, I can tell the story there too (I already did a search in a couple topics such as boats and motors).

Early in the morning of Thursday, September 9/7/2017, my boat motor was stolen from my boat which was parking in my driveway in La Crosse.

This motor was a 2009 black Mercury 25 horsepower 4 stroke with manual start. It weighs 160 pounds and was bolted on to my transom with industrial grade fasteners. 

The serial number is OR150492.

Yes, the police came and did a report and they have pictures of the motor and serial number.

The thieves were bold. My driveway is illuminated by a motion detector flood light. It would be nearly impossible to enter the driveway area without having this come on. Additionally, my driveway is about 15 feet from the corner of the Northside La Crosse Fire Department building, which is also lit by lights. There are firemen in the building 24/7 and someone is always awake.

They had to have come prepared with appropriate tools and at least two people to lift that big heavy motor.

I actually heard the activity of them unbolting and removing it as I was sleeping restlessly that night, but due to the windows I had open that night being on the other side of the house, I just couldn't figure out and pinpoint what could be making the unusual noises. I looked out several windows and turned some lights on. I looked out every window but the one that would have given me a view of the activity. I thought the noise might be from a night rain pelting against the house real hard or something.

So now I am without propulsion for awhile. I will likely sell my trailer and boat as is and look around for a used or new complete unit and already have an indoor secure storage place lined up to put it in.

The only positive thing I can say about getting ripped off is that it gives me an excuse to upgrade. The boat and trailer would not quite fit in the garage I have and has been sitting out in the driveway under lock and key for about three years.

But life is still good!!!

Post Your Comment
9/1/17 @ 8:47 AM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

O.K. KAMO Fans, here's the latest from the Coulee Chapter:

This is a list of KAMO’s upcoming GROUP activities. They are free and open to the public. If you are interested in participating, please contact the lead person in advance. For planning purposes we need to know ahead of time about numbers for lining up mentors, food, etc.  Please like us on Facebook

Saturday, September 9th - 9:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M. Must arrive at approximately 8:30 for registration. Chasebuurg Youth Day/ Waterfowl Education Day. Archery, shotgun, .22. , black powder, hatchet throw. Includes props and DNR supported activity. D.N.R. will host a waterfowl I.D. and general education portion.. Sign up by nine.There will be an emphasis on identifying ducks. John Wetzel lead - 608-526-4238.

Saturday, September 9th - Open House - Upper Midwest Environmental Services Center Activity Day - 10:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M. Science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) - Outdoor activities. 2630 Fanta Reed Road. More info - 608-783-6451. Mentors will be on site already.

Saturday, Sunday - September 16-17 - Youth Waterfowl Hunting Weekend. Hunting will take place EARLY. Must be 10 years old and hunters education recommended. Must have mentor. May participate as an observer. Tim Collins lead - 608- 385-2143.

Saturday, September 16th - 9:30 A.M. - 12:30 P.M.. Scavenger Hunt. Myrick Hixon Park. Mike Brown lead - 608-799-5037 or brownmtjc@gmail.com

Saturday, September 23rd - 9:30 A.M. - 12:00 P.M. - Hike at Hixon Forest. Mike Brown lead - 608-799-5037 or brownmtjc@gmail.com

Saturday, September 30th - 9:30 A.M. - 12:00 P.M. - Rod and gun club outing - Meant as a preparation for upcoming hunting seasons. Mike Brown lead - brownmtjc@gmail.com

October 7-8 - Youth Statewide Deer Gun Hunt/ Camping Trip - Meadow Valley State Wildlife Area east of Warrens. 10 years and older. Must have mentor/ license and have shot at range. May participate as an observer. Mike Brown lead - 608-799-5037 or brownmtjc@gmail.com

Looking further ahead:

October 18th - Creepy Critters at the USFWS Visitors Center on Brice Prairie.

October 22nd - Pumpkin carving - Locally or at Norskadalen

November 12th - Swan watch - Brownsville overlook.

Other options by arrangement - Rivoli matinees, fishing float or boat trips, pontoon rides. Contact Mike at brownmtjc@gmail.com for details. 

Post Your Comment
8/28/17 @ 9:45 AM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Although not big, the perch fishing was good on this Friday trip to a backwater near La Crosse. The jumbos will arrive in these locations soon if history is any gauge. Our fish were up to 9 - 91/2 inches.

Post Your Comment
8/28/17 @ 9:40 AM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

The Soulpad near the shores of the Radisson Flowage near Winter on a wet and wild weekend. Rained most of the weekend, but the tent remained dry. 16 foot diameter. 200 square feet inside. cots, chairs, tables, standing room. Have it fitted with woodstove for winter use.

Post Your Comment
8/21/17 @ 6:57 AM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

There are chapters in Poynette and the Marshfield/ Stevens Point area now.

Post Your Comment
8/19/17 @ 9:33 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Scenes from today's trap/ pigeon shooting event at the Francis Schmidt farm south of La Crosse. We started with firearms safety, demonstrated what a dog on point does and the need to watch out for the dog's safety, followed by clay pigeon shooting and the release of live pigeons. And then my famous super dogs, chips, baked beans. All preparation for the upcoming hunting seasons. The first one, youth waterfowl is just around the corner.

I've been out in the Mississippi backwaters with some kids and the fishing has been solid making it perfect for those who have less patience.

Post Your Comment
8/19/17 @ 9:21 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

KAMO went to two Loggers games in August thanks to our Big Brothers/ Sisters partners and in turn, their sponsors. Kids had a great time and were served free food and beverages throughout the game. And boy - did they take advantage of that.

Post Your Comment
8/9/17 @ 10:06 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Took some kids and their mother fishing this evening on a Mississippi backwater. With the water level now at normal it is so much easier to locate and catch fish. Everybody did well and I left my cell in the truck so don't have pictures to share. Yes, that's the new excuse, feel free to use it.

Post Your Comment
7/25/17 @ 6:15 PM
Oalaskan
Oalaskan
USER since 10/2/14

Looking ahead to the fall hunting seasons, the time to start planning is now. Chaseburg Rod and Gun Club is putting on a Kids Shooting Day on Saturday, September 9th in combination with a Waterfowl Education with Brenda Kelly from DNR. Shooting practice plus duck I.D.

Coulee KAMO is looking for participants for its trap/ pigeon shoot on August 19th on a private farm just south of La Crosse. The kids shoot clays and then take a crack at a pigeon released electronically with a dog holding point near the bird. Then we have a lunch. If people knew how good bacon/ jalapeno wrapped grilled pigeons were, they'd be an endangered species.

The Statewide Youth Deer Gun Hunt this year will be on October 7-8. We will camp near the site of three hunting locations in the Warrens area - two on public and one private. If you have a kid between 10-15 and you don't know where to even start with them in hunting or you are just looking for a place to take your kid, send me a PM. If you would like to try volunteering as a mentor for a kid, we'll need a few more.This is what KAMO is about - introducing families/ kids to outdoor pursuits. Hunting whitetails, campfire stories, starry night skies, delicious meals. 

And did I mention our Youth Duck Hunting Camps on Lake Onalaska? We take the kids out on their days off of school that come along in the La Crosse, Holmen, and Onalaska School Districts. Hunting followed by a pizza party at a mentors house right on the lake.

It is all free to you and cheap for us.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 97 Posts