irrigation

6/22/14 @ 7:45 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
I live just north of Madison and drove up to Wisconsin Rapids yesterday. The area of the state that I drove through was hit with heavy rain for most of the week. My question here is why were all the irrigation systems running when they had more water than they needed last week? I realize this is sandy soil but if they need to use that much water after what Mother Nature provided last week maybe they need to rethink what that land is used for? They sure don't seem too concerned about how much water they are pumping out of the ground there. Tim
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
6/24/14 @ 11:48 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
I am so happy I don't live there any more. Where is the largest mobile home park in Adams County ? Arrowhead South.

Post Your Comment
6/24/14 @ 11:31 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
Allot of the land East of hwy. 13 towards Plainfield was swamp 80+ years ago. That changed when the "ditches" were dug. Now Plum Creek is selling off the land because the dilapidated old paper mills no longer need as much red pine. IMO. It is more efficient to run a very large dairy operation with tight controls than several small operations with little control. That is why California is now the dairy state. Mega Golf Course, that will get used for 6-7 months tops in a good year. Good luck turning a profit.

Edited on 6/24/14 11:49 PM
Post Your Comment
6/23/14 @ 3:58 PM
deskjockey
deskjockey
USER since 1/23/10
If you think they're using up their ground water now, wait until that mega dairy farm (15 high cap wells) and the upscale golf course resort start pumping it out. Both are going in south of Rapids off 13.

Post Your Comment
6/22/14 @ 10:45 PM
brews4995
brews4995
USER since 4/2/10
Maintenance maybe but yes probably the fertilizer, pesticide application. And they are often run on preset timers so that is why they are sometimes running when it is raining.

Post Your Comment
6/22/14 @ 9:46 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Some fertilizers and pesticides are applied through the irrigation. While obviously water intensive, it is less energy intesive, less compaction on the soil and smaller amounts can be applied each time resulting in less waste of the chemical as well as less groundwater contamination.

Post Your Comment
6/22/14 @ 9:10 PM
Perchhound
Perchhound
USER since 12/5/07
There is a very good chance they were doing maintenance on their system and you have to run it to test it.

Post Your Comment