Grey wolf sighting Big Cedar Lake Washington Country

5/31/15 @ 9:27 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Perchhound
Perchhound
USER since 12/5/07
Grey wolf was caught on camera on the East Side of Big Cedar Lake Washington County. It was confirmed in Jan by the DNR. I don't know how to post the link but go to youtube and search "Wolf by Big Cedar Lake" to view the video. Makes you think twice about ice fishing at night. You can clearly see it was a collared wolf. Story is on Washington County Insider facebook page. Just goggle washington county insider,up it, then scroll down to 5-31 posting on the right hand side for the story. In the last couple of weeks I've had yutes and red fox running all over in my back yard. I'm on the West Side of Cedar. Is this wolf pushing them my way?? Nature conservancy is in my backyard. www.facebook.com/pages/Washington-County-Insider/1487295938219369
Edited on 6/2/15 9:17 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
6/21/15 @ 10:23 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Consider remote places like Isle Royal and Boundary Waters in northern Minn. Thes are historically well populated with wolves, yet each year thousands of backpackers and canoeists go on week long treks armed with little more than a pocket knife. Many of these people travel solo and it appears that this vulnerability does not attract the aggression of wolves either. Its the bears they have to guard against.

Edited on 6/22/15 6:01 AM
Post Your Comment
6/19/15 @ 7:52 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
It's been a while now but a wolf was documented hit by a car in I94ear Johnson Creek.

There's been a few hit by cars in northwestern IL. Genetic testing showed they came from northern WI.

Young male wolves travel great distances looking to establish their own pack. They're probably getting more accustomed to living around people.

I'm sure there will be new areas where it is no longer safe to leave the pet dog out on a chain....but it never occurred to me to be afraid to go icefishing at night in areas with wolf packs. The next time I go night fishing in those areas it STILL won't occur to me.

Post Your Comment
6/16/15 @ 7:23 PM
cabinbum
cabinbum
USER since 4/1/10
imagine that! right on an illegal bait pile..... Speechless

Post Your Comment
6/16/15 @ 1:09 PM
Jackbass
Jackbass
USER since 1/29/02
Here's the youtube link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHvkRpX-v2g

Post Your Comment
6/16/15 @ 1:05 PM
Jackbass
Jackbass
USER since 1/29/02
Um...that's not a wolf.

Post Your Comment
6/11/15 @ 7:55 AM
piker_biker
piker_biker
USER since 12/27/07
Point is they shouldn't be this far south. Didn't go to the link, (too hard to copy and paste) but if it was confirmed to be a wolf that's quite a big deal IMO. You always hear about people seeing wolves or bears being farther south than they should be but it's usually from an old guy walking out of the woods smelling like he's been there for weeks and has no photo or video proof.

Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 2:59 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
After looking up where Washington county is in Wisconsin, it all makes perfect sense to me now. I live in North central Monroe county and we have three packs within a 10 mile radius of my home. I have heard them at night calling and have seen them in daylight only 3 times in six years. I spend a lot of time in the Black River State Forest and the adjoining Meadow Valley Wildlife area in Jackson, Juneau and Wood counties and have NEVER felt threatened. My thought is, if nature scares you, stay at home. No need to fear monger over these majestic animals. They are part of the ecosystem and deserve respect and should be observed at a very safe distance. I know some people in Jackson county carry sidearms when bear hunting (a few dogs have been killed by wolves while bear hunting) but that is because wolves are territorial by nature. Bottom line is that you have nothing to fear.

Post Your Comment
6/5/15 @ 8:08 AM
Musky99
Musky99
USER since 8/8/11
"Makes you think twice about ice fishing at night"

Why????

People night fish all over northern WI, MI and MN, and I have yet to hear about anyone getting eaten!

Post Your Comment
6/4/15 @ 10:04 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
No big deal. Before too long all of those critters will be wolf scat. Circle of life.

Post Your Comment