From the graveyard discussion moved here

3/10/15 @ 7:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
Since I will admit to being the guilty party to moving the discussion we were having that was axed and then re-started by me on the graveyard thread, I am moving it here as it has become a pretty good thread actually. Carry on, Tim
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
3/17/15 @ 1:03 PM
FriFishFry
FriFishFry
USER since 6/3/06
The elk herd discussion is of interest to me due to the fact that the extended range will be 30 miles from our hunting land. I did some clicking around and learned that 10 elk have been relocated there so far. Also found some info from an article quoting DNR elk biologist Laine Stowell concern reproductivity within the clam lake herd: --in 2013 Spring 45 to 50 calves were born. the calves were filmed on trail cams --the 2014 Spring followed a brutal winter and the birth rate plummeted with stillbirths, deaths due to exposure or starvation, or no births at all. Only one calve showed up on trail cameras

on a different matter, the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation has issued a statement on the reduction of DNR science positions, of which they are opposed. Just saw that report today

Post Your Comment
3/13/15 @ 9:23 PM
yahay
yahay
USER since 11/28/07
T,

Just jackin' with ya. Trying to get this party started is all.

Live long & prosper. (Oh, & by the way, I don't drink).

Post Your Comment
3/13/15 @ 3:09 PM
yahay
yahay
USER since 11/28/07
Why, did I stutter??

Post Your Comment
3/13/15 @ 1:17 PM
yahay
yahay
USER since 11/28/07
Got arrested for 3rd Offense OWI Tuesday night , so been in jail since then and just got out, thank God. Couldn't wait to get home to resume our conversation about the Clam Lake elk herd, low & behold its been moved over here. Soooo, ummmmmmm, yaaaaa, ummmmm, whistling now, ummmm.................huhhhhhhhhh, ok, alrighty then, ummmmmm, I hear crickets..................ummmmmmmm........................right in the konicky.............

Post Your Comment
3/10/15 @ 10:51 PM
FriFishFry
FriFishFry
USER since 6/3/06
IIRC last year there were plans to upgrade the walleye stocking from smaller fingerlings ( like 2 inches) to larger fingerlings (6-8") the larger ones have better survival rates but cost more to raise ( like $2.50 each vs .50 cents per) I guess the survival rate goes from 5% to 20% . makes sense to me

I think some millions were budgeted for the upgrades and costs and 1 million for 2 years thereafter. They planned on going from around 40 thousand released to 500 thousand

The upgrade money was cut from the budget. It is unclear to me whether just the 1 million for 2 years or the 6-8 million for new hatcheries

The original 500k of the budget remains. Unclear if it's for larger or smaller fry. I think there are some private organizations which participate as well and tribal funds

The WWI came out of the NRB

Edited for more info

Edited on 3/10/15 11:03 PM
Post Your Comment
3/10/15 @ 10:03 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
I have to make a clarification on something I said in a prior post on the other thread.

I said that the Walleye Initiative was slated to be gone in the new budget proposal. That is partly correct.

The $500k of funding to buy walleye fingerings for stocking from private farms will continue. What was taken out was a million that was in the original plan that was money for private hatcheries to upgrade their facilities. That money was given out sort of like grants in that these hatcheries had to apply for a portion of it.

I am not sure if the "walleye initiative" was in a budget or was it a separate piece of legislation. Does anyone know?

Tim

Post Your Comment
3/10/15 @ 9:45 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
Background: A week or so ago someone began a thread that was related to the proposed cuts to the DNR in the Governor's budget. As you can imagine it got testy and then axed as it was 'political '. A no-no here. I re-started it on the graveyard thread and it turned into a pretty good discussion. It was essentially a thread buried in another thread.

Only wish one could copy and paste all the posts to this thread but I think those of us who were participants know what has been talked about.

One could go back and read basically the last three days of posts from the graveyard thread. It's about all that was discussed there.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Post Your Comment
3/10/15 @ 8:58 PM
FriFishFry
FriFishFry
USER since 6/3/06
Thanks very interesting and informative discussion. Perhaps you could elucidate in the headline of this thread the topic ( I believe Elk relocation to Wisconsin or clam lake elk herd -andded to title?)

Edit to add: the current issue of Wisconsin Outdoor News has a front page article on relocating some elk from the butternut splinter group ( 9 of 22) to the extended range near flambeau state forest

Edited on 3/10/15 9:24 PM
Post Your Comment