Fireflies, or do you call them Lightning bugs

7/5/18 @ 10:02 PM
ORIGINAL POST
split shot
split shot
USER since 6/19/01

I was on the veranda this evening enjoying a cold pop when they lit-up. It was about a half hour after sundown. These are some amazing creatures. There were hundreds of them flashing. Simply beautiful.

I’ve seen other “bursts” of Fireflies in Northern Illinois and Central Wisconsin, but really no place else. It might be a timing issue, or maybe it is geographical.

Are any of you as fascinated by these bugs as I am?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
7/12/18 @ 8:07 AM
redhook
redhook
USER since 12/25/09

If you know what Goldenrod grubs are they are like that only different, as in different bug and different plant.

Post Your Comment
7/12/18 @ 7:44 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

Care to elaborate on weed worms?? Do you dig them up like regular worms? I'm intruiged...

Post Your Comment
7/11/18 @ 4:06 PM
Carpio
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Redhook.  I thought I was the only one left who picked “ Weed Worms”.      Awesome winter perch bait.  CARPIO 

Post Your Comment
7/10/18 @ 2:46 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

They are all over by me.  We call them lightning bugs around here.

Post Your Comment
7/7/18 @ 12:42 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02

lightning bugs

Post Your Comment
7/7/18 @ 9:48 AM
redhook
redhook
USER since 12/25/09

If you are an ice fisher person (PC) Lightning bugs I believe are the adult version of weed worms, it should be a good year for finding them. 

Post Your Comment
7/7/18 @ 8:24 AM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Rufus T Firefly  (Marx brothers ) . 

All you need a a warm humid night and I see them in my yard . If I go out to the farm land to the west , some nights you can see thousands . 

Someone on Facebook had a video of a frog that ate one and it would pulse and glow through the frog .

I don't think I have ever seen one where soil is sandy .

Edited on 7/7/18 8:25 AM
Post Your Comment
7/6/18 @ 12:21 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

A rose by any other name.........

I guess I never really thought about it before.  I seem to lean toward fireflies 

Post Your Comment
7/6/18 @ 8:18 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

I think the "bursts" of them depend on when the larva hatch. I just started noticing them about a week and a half ago in west central WI, they should start popping up more and more now.

I used to collect them at my grandparents house as a kid and put them in a mason jar. They'd be my night light for the night and I'd let them go the next day.

Not that I'd ever do it intentionally ;), but if you smash them they would make your hands glow too.

Always called them lightning bugs personally. One of my favorite bugs

Post Your Comment
7/6/18 @ 6:39 AM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11

I once drove through a large swarm of them somewhere around Tomohawk about 20 years ago. Lit up my whole windshield, then got 100X worse when I hit the washer fluid. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts