SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

DNR Safety Program Instructor Trainings

1/10/17 @ 10:57 PM
INITIAL POST
Oalaskan
PRO MEMBER User since 10/2/14

If you are currently a safety instructor and want re-certification or would like to be certified for the first time there are a number of instructor certification classes coming up statewide. These courses are set up to make it easy for you - done in one session.

These courses are for ATV/ Boat/ Snowmobile, hunter ed, archery ed.

They are held in a few locations mainly up north from late January - early May.

I took a picture of the course sheet which I hope anyone reading this is able to view.

A class that doesn't appear on the sheet and which is going to be held at the Brice Prairie USFWS Visitors Center near La Crosse is an an internet hunter's education field day course on Sunday, January 29th. It is open to currently certified hunter's ed instructors or someone who isn't already certified. The non-certified people would have to take a test on open book test using an on-line manual (it's easy) and help with one class.

I've been teaching hunter's ed on and off since the 1990's and enjoy meeting new people and introducing them to firearms safety.

Maybe you have a passion for your outdoor sport and would like to teach someone new to be safe while their getting started.

Any questions P.M. me please.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
8/20/20 @ 3:55 PM
Oalaskan

If anyone is interested in becoming certified as an internet field day Hunter's Education instructor, you can get that done through a combination of helping with running a class or two, passing a background check, and completing a procedural manual reading and test which takes just over an hour. If interested, please pm me.

The demand for IFDs is sky high and that isn't going to change.

I would be willing to help other instructors with their field days as well.

2/3/20 @ 1:59 PM
Oalaskan

I am leading a Hunter's ed internet Field day class in April in Onalaska. If I can find a couple more instructors, the number of students can be increased. This is a good opportunity to become certified IFD. I was skeptical about the IFD model, but after doing three classes, I now like it. If interested, please contact me.

2/1/20 @ 11:48 AM
Oalaskan

Hello Hunter Education Instructors,

Below is a free Wisconsin Mentor Training in your area with NWTF Coordinator John Motoviloff and your WDNR staff. Your attendance is not required, but it is a great opportunity to hear about other programs and a chance to network.   

Date/Time:Feb. 20 from 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM.

What:Attendees receive liability insurance and mentoring tips plus complimentary appetizers. Spend a fun evening learning about the future of conservation!Attached you will find more information about the Mentor program.

If you are available and would like to hear more or to RSVP for a light meal and materials contact John directly or visitgowild.wi.gov.

1. Go togowild.wi.gov
  2. Obtain WI DNR Customer ID Number
  3. Click: Enroll in the Safety Education tab
  4. Select “Hunter Mentor Training” as Course Type
  5. Select “Enroll” for Viroqua/Vernon County.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Feel free to pass this to anyone who may be interested.

11/22/19 @ 12:19 PM
Oalaskan

What is a method to ensure that there are more fishermen and women in the future? Reach out to people in your community and teach them the skills.That's what the R3 movement is about. Recruitment/ retention/ reactivation. Get new people involved,keep the current fisher people interested, and get people formerly interested back into it.There is an R3 Instructor Workshop in at Lussler Family Heritage, Madison on Wednesday, Jan.8th, 2020 and one at the D.N.R. Service Center in Spooner on March 19th.

You can also arrange for a training in your area. Four hour classes for certification. The curriculum is basically - Fish and habitat/ know your gear/ outing or two/ cook your fish.

Registration is available on the GoWild site or by contacting Andrew Krismer 608-333-2057 or Theresa Stabo 608-577-6332.

4/1/19 @ 5:15 PM
Oalaskan

Twenty three people from seven counties came in to an Onalaska class (mentioned in an earlier post) on Saturday to get either their recertification or initial certification for hunter's education instructor. The recerts were out in two hours and the rest stayed for an afternoon session.

3/20/19 @ 11:52 AM
Oalaskan

The latest on hunter's education instructor certification classes. You can attend just the morning for a recertification. The whole five hours for a new instructor. It doesn't get any simpler than this. It is also easier than ever to maintain your certification than ever afterwards without even having to be an active instructor by attending a short recert class you will be notified of. The La Crosse County class currently has 5 participants signed up. We'd like it to be more. Is it worth driving a little ways to participate in one of these? You bet. One and done.

Contact Linda Xiong to register - 715-214-4211/ [email protected]

La crosse Area

Hunter Ed & HE Internet Field Day Instructor Certification

Mini-Academy Saturday March 30  10:00am – 3:00pm 

La Crosse County  Upper Mississippi River NW&FR N5727 County Road Z, 

Onalaska, WI 54650 One day training to certify new instructors or recertify veteran instructors (morning).

Eau Claire Area

Hunter Ed & HE Internet Field Day Instructor Certification

Mini-Academy Sunday April 14  10:00am – 3:00pm 

Eau Claire County Fairchild Sportsmen’s Club 300 Pond Rd, 

Fairchild, WI 54741 One day training to certify new instructors or recertify veteran instructors (morning). 

2/21/19 @ 1:03 PM
Oalaskan

This just went on GoWild this morning. A 5 hour class to become an internet field day hunters ed instructor. This one is in Onalaska. There may others near you if you look under GoWild.

If you are in a group that does shooting or hunting, you can't go wrong by having one or more people in your group have an he instructor certification. Opens the door for Learn To Hunts, classes at your convenience, etc.

HUNTER MINI ACADEMY 

3/30/2019 10:00 AM - 3/30/2019 3:00 PM 

Upper Mississippi River NW&FR, N5727 County Road Z, Onalaska, 54650 

LINDA XIONG  

[email protected] 

Phone: (715) 214-4211

2/20/19 @ 4:59 PM
Oalaskan

Two hunter's education instructor certification classes are being set up In Onalaska (and possibly some other locations in the state).

There will be a weeknight class some time in March or April - a 6-9 pm event. This is for people who already have the traditional he instructor license and want to obtain the internet field day certification.

There will be a Saturday class from 10 am - 3 pm for people who do not have either certification, but want to become certified for the first time.

When the exact location and dates become available, I will post them.

You can P.M> me anytime if you are interested.

1/17/19 @ 11:34 AM
Oalaskan

The Wisconsin D.N.R. is trying to beef up the number of Hunter's Education Internet Field Day instructors statewide.

This field day is a follow up for people who have completed an on line course. A Wisconsin Hunters Education certification is accepted in all 50 states and in just about every country out there.

The IFD is all hands demonstration in in the morning. The students test in the afternoon. Currently, these field days can be hard to find unless you live in an area where a club is active in promoting them.

I was skeptical about this approach in the beginning. After getting the certification and offering some classes in the La Crosse area, it is clear to me now that this does work well and is not going away.

If you think you might be interested in becoming an Internet Field Day instructor, please let me know. If enough interest can be generated, the DNR will come in and support a mini academy - a one day certification class.

I helped put together a one day IFD cert class in 2017 and it was attended by folks from Hudson, Marshfield, and La Crosse.

7/3/17 @ 10:12 PM
Oalaskan

There were 19 Hunter's Education Internet Field Day classes statewide registered on GoWild. If you are a regular hunters ed instructor who wants to get certified as an internet one, this might be a good opportunity to help with a class. Your Recreational Safety warden could tell you about any other criteria you might need to complete (such as a training).

This January the DNR came in to Onalaska and trained up three groups - Coulee area, Marshfield, Hudson. One of these state people then came back a couple weeks ago, stayed in a hotel, and helped our group run our first class the next day - June 19th. Bravo!

That got our group off to a great start - now we can run more classes in the area with confidence. I got a list of HE Internet Field Day instructors from my county from Linda Xiong. I called those I could and made a group e-mail list so we can help each other. A few people don't know what they are doing and thus are reluctant to do a class, but now that our group had a supported class, we can help them.

I'll admit to being skeptical about the quality of the internet vs. regular, but the students proved me wrong. They really did a nice job on the practical - probably as good or better than a regular class (it's all fresh in their mind). 

The written test has been revised. If ten adults took it off the street without the class, but with a little firearm background, I'll bet several would pass it.

The regular he class offerings are starting to pop up on GoWild as well.

2/18/17 @ 10:05 PM
Oalaskan

These are the current spring he classes listed in the La Crosse area. They are made possible by devoted volunteers, several of whom became certified through the DNR's safety program instructor trainings that this thread is about.

What is not mentioned is an upcoming internet field day hunters education class currently being planned for June. This class will appear in the Onalaska Parks and Rec catalog and Go Wild.

I took out the lead instructor's contact info - it is their own business where their phone number and e-mail appear in public. This is just an informational message. You can look them up on GoWild if interested..

Traditional Hunter’s Education Classes -

West Salem Elementary - March 25th 8:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M., April 1st 8:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M. 

April 4th 6:00 P.M. - 8:30 P.M. 

Unknown class size, but last year it was 35.

La Crosse Archery, Onalaska - March 27, 28, 30,31 6:00 P.M. - 8:30 P.M. April 1st - morning field day.

Will be capped at 20 students

Bethany Free Church, Cty Highway B - March 14, 16, 21,23,28,30. 6:00 - 8:30 P.M.

Unknown class size

Living Word Christian Church, Ward Avenue, La Crosse - March 21,23, 28,30 6:00 P.M. - 9:00 P.M. April 1st - field day. 

Unknown class size

Don’t see a class that fits your schedule? There will probably be a few in August.

2/7/17 @ 9:18 AM
Oalaskan

We had an on-line field day instructor certification class in Onalaska on January 29th. There were four from La Crosse, three from Marshfield, and three from Hudson.  I thought the DNR did a nice job with it. It was fun. They also brought in gun sets (excellent condition), laser training (modified air rifles) units, deer model, fences, safety harnesses for us to use for upcoming classes. The sets, of course, come with some paperwork.

They said once you run a couple online field day classes, you won't want to go back to the traditional classes. my understanding is that on this side of the state, online field day instructors are far and few between. That might explain why the DNR has been running their own field days in the area once in awhile.

As far as our group goes, we will probably offer our first field day in late spring or June. The DNR guy said that he would be glad to come in and offer support for running the first class.

1/28/17 @ 11:16 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

Log into your GoWild account and click on the Instructor Dashboard.  All the upcoming classes should be listed there.  Also easy to contact the RSW in your area for class schedules......

1/26/17 @ 10:59 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

You just gotta get in the habit of looking at class listings frequently or contact the RSW to find out about class sessions in your area.

If you're due for recertification you should be getting notices.

Tim

1/26/17 @ 9:31 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06

Do you know if there are any more scheduled training days for the Field Day Instructors?  Or is this a once a year thing? 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE