Can you ID this snake?

6/3/14 @ 5:33 PM
ORIGINAL POST
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
I was out in the yard today pulling up some grass netting that I had laid down to get the grass started when I found this snake tangled up in the netting. We do have a lot of ground squirrels so I am thinking this might be a rat snake but I am no expert. He is over 3 feet long which I think is pretty big for Wisconsin. He was dead when I found him. I live in rural Monroe county. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Edited on 6/3/14 5:34 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
6/18/15 @ 2:31 PM
phishin phool
phishin phool
USER since 4/5/08
Ok, here is my 2 cents worth. All ya'll are good however, my humble opinion is that the snake Ole Sarge is questioning is a corn snake. Very close to the milk but more yellowish. Only one more opinion for all ya'll to chew on. Wink

Post Your Comment
6/18/15 @ 2:26 PM
NRAguy
NRAguy
USER since 6/17/01
Thanks for your time Mr. Bass--I think that's it.

Post Your Comment
6/18/15 @ 1:48 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
NRAguy- I am having a hard time finding that snake as well. My top guess would be a Western Terrestrial Garter Snake. It seems like the closest match of the 23 snakes found in Colorado. There are quite a few subspecies and juveniles and adults look a lot different. What makes me think it's that snake is the faint lines it has down its body. http://www.coloradoherping.com/western-terrestrial-gartersnake-thamnophis-elegans-colorado-snakes.html

Edited on 6/18/15 1:49 PM
Post Your Comment
6/18/15 @ 12:18 PM
duxup
duxup
USER since 8/5/05
Hard to tell from the pics. The markings are similar for both the milk and rat. If the belly is whiter it is a milk. Also, the head of the milk is just barely wider than the body, whereas the head of the rat is quite a bid wider.

Post Your Comment
6/18/15 @ 7:09 AM
NRAguy
NRAguy
USER since 6/17/01
Just got back from Colorado....almost stepped on this guy. Trying to figure out what kind of snake it is--can't seem to match any pics online. Can anyone help ID this snake? Thanks.

Post Your Comment
6/5/14 @ 8:04 AM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
It is a milk snake. I've been seeing quite a few around my house the last few years. They are quite docile. For some reason I've been seeing a lot of grass, fox, milk and water snakes recently. When I first moved to my house I had an abundance of toads, now it's an abundance of snakes. Just as long as they keep rodents in check, it's ok by me.

Post Your Comment
6/5/14 @ 6:51 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
Thanks for all of the comments. I wish I could of found him before he died because I sure would have let him go. We have alot of 13 striped ground squirrels and I am pretty sure he was getting ready to go hunting. I hope that I have a few more on the property. I have about a 1/2 acre that I dont mow and it is pretty high grass so that is probably where he came from. I always consider it a good sign that your yard enviroment is healthy when you have snakes and toads as they are both predators and eat alot of the bad stuff..

Edited on 6/5/14 6:51 AM
Post Your Comment
6/4/14 @ 1:37 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
I agree with eastern milk snake.

Post Your Comment
6/3/14 @ 9:44 PM
Horble
Horble
USER since 4/11/08
That is an Eastern Milk Snake. Good rodent eater. Good snake. Pretty common from Wausau south, and more common the farther south you go. Pretty docile for a big snake and very secretive too.

Edited on 6/3/14 9:46 PM
Post Your Comment
6/3/14 @ 8:22 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05
My first thought was northern pine snake, but I think it's a fox.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts