Boat launch idiots!

6/26/01 @ 2:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
goose
goose
USER since 6/16/01
Why is it that every time I go to a public launch I have to contend with someone who has no clue what they are doing? One time After fishing in the morning I get back to the launch, on lake winnebago in the big hole, and on one side of the dock I see a car and trailer in the launch, no boat or a person. I get to the dock and get out and look around and see a boat coming into the harbor. Didn't think much of it. Came back with my truck and trailer, just as two other rigs pull up to launch. I get my boat on the trailer and the boat I saw coming in behind me pulls up onto the trailer parked on the other side of the dock. This guy backed his rig in, got in his boat and went out on the lake without parking his car and trailer in the parking area!!!!!!!!!!! This launch is only a one dock two ramp deal. He had no problem with plugging one side with his car and going out on the lake! I'm sure we all have a few stories about jerks at the boat landings so here is a place to vent!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,899 Posts
9/5/18 @ 6:14 PM
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

"a good half hour to get off"

Cold, I take it you don't have kids?

Post Your Comment
8/27/18 @ 1:27 PM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

Been a while since I could classify myself as a BLI, but last week I went out on Winnebago solo. Came in, tied up, backed trailer in, got boat centered, hooked up and started cranking. It would come in straight then make a hard turn toward the dock no matter how many times I tried. Seriously spent a good 5 minutes of WTF-ing when I noticed...my tie off rope was wrapped around one of the pier posts. 

It was my first time out with my boat this year, so I was obviously rather rusty. 

Post Your Comment
8/27/18 @ 12:44 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

My guess is that you will be told to self-fornicate but it never hurts to try.

Post Your Comment
8/27/18 @ 9:21 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

Happened again last night. Was fishing off the south end of bago. Checked the radar and saw the storm coming. Had a good half hour to get off and get home but still needed to get moving. All went ok but at the Supples landing, boats were starting to pile up and a big yellow cigarette boat pulls in. It was a BIG rig. He kind of blocked a few lanes while he was waiting for the trailer but that wasn't the real problem. He left the damn engines on and we all had to listen to the gargling roar as he sat there and idled. Not being able to communicate with the driver of our trucks as they backed in the trailers was irritating to say the least. Is it hard to start those things back up once you shut them down?. I just don't get it why the knobs wouldn't shut it down until they need the power at the landing. It wasn't windy. Next time that happens, I am going to say something. I think it was needless and rude. Mrt.  

Edited on 8/27/18 10:56 AM
Post Your Comment
8/9/18 @ 2:31 PM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09

Launched at Lake Altoona last night during the Ski Sprites show.  Might also have been a company picnic or something going on in the park.  Numerous cars and trucks parked in the BOAT TRAILER parking area.

Had to park across the street in the overflow BOAT TRAILER parking area, which was also nearly full of cars and trucks.

Post Your Comment
8/8/18 @ 4:46 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03

Typical story of the guy who parks a launch shut and then unloads everything from his truck. 

It didn’t impact me one bit because I wasn’t in line waiting. Took the family over to Rock Lake in Lake Mills this afternoon and hung out at Sandy Beach. White truck with a ladder rack on the top shows up with an older Tracker. He backs into the launch lane and then takes about 20-25 minutes prepping his boat. No one was waiting in line behind him until the last 10 minutes or so. It was still an obnoxious amount of time to get your boat ready for launch. 

I will admit that when I am at a lake with very little pressure and little to no possibility of anyone showing up I’ll prep my stuff with a launch parked shut...but I’ll never do that at a busier landing regardless of the time of day or time of the year. If someone does show up and is ready to go I’ll move but that’s rare. From the time i pull into a launch until the time the empty trailer is parked it’s maybe five minutes...not close to a half a fricking hour. Even my wife picked up on the fact that this dude was taking forever and she’s never launched a boat in her life. 

Post Your Comment
8/1/18 @ 2:08 PM
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

And then of course you have the people that park in the way so they can let their dog play fetch and swim in the launch lanes.

And it's a boat launch, not a fishing pier.

Post Your Comment
8/1/18 @ 11:39 AM
Quester
Quester
USER since 1/28/07

Are these people that fish off boat launch docks paying a launch fee!

Some boat launch docks clearly state no fishing on launch docks for a reason!

Post Your Comment
8/1/18 @ 10:47 AM
FishChip
FishChip
USER since 2/2/17
Those who fish off boat launches and refuse to move for people launching and loading are BLI's.

Post Your Comment
8/1/18 @ 6:20 AM
Chiltonhead
Chiltonhead
USER since 6/27/11

The worst is the lazy ones who have to power load & are ruining the launches for everyone else because they have more boat than they need..when you see a bunk trailer..saddest is when there are signs by the lake launch & they still do it...I'm hoping the same thing happens in Vilas as what is happening in Door cty.,,,where boats of certain sizes have to go to a certain launch..Lily bay comes to mind in Door cty.....there was a guy who didn't like it a person was fishing off the dock...that guy has every right to be there..I had a guy get on me for dock fishing stating these docks are for launching boats...he stayed on me...I wrote his car licence plate # down & boat reg. #'s...called Tim Price..he said & I quote..."I should bring a table, chairs.& a cribbage board next time, have a lunch...& I'd be better off calling the police as he was harassing me"

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,899 Posts