Boat launch idiots!

6/26/01 @ 2:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
goose
goose
USER since 6/16/01
Why is it that every time I go to a public launch I have to contend with someone who has no clue what they are doing? One time After fishing in the morning I get back to the launch, on lake winnebago in the big hole, and on one side of the dock I see a car and trailer in the launch, no boat or a person. I get to the dock and get out and look around and see a boat coming into the harbor. Didn't think much of it. Came back with my truck and trailer, just as two other rigs pull up to launch. I get my boat on the trailer and the boat I saw coming in behind me pulls up onto the trailer parked on the other side of the dock. This guy backed his rig in, got in his boat and went out on the lake without parking his car and trailer in the parking area!!!!!!!!!!! This launch is only a one dock two ramp deal. He had no problem with plugging one side with his car and going out on the lake! I'm sure we all have a few stories about jerks at the boat landings so here is a place to vent!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,833 Posts
TODAY @ 1:40 PM
Bowhunting Guy
Bowhunting Guy
USER since 5/22/18

Like many of you, I thought I had experienced about everything one could see at a boat launch. That changed last week in Fremont.

I usually fish here in the evenings during the week to limit my exposure to BLI’s, but no such luck last week. I arrived about 5:30 at the town launch, and there was a large pontoon boat tied PERPENDICULAR to the loading docks, effectively blocking all four lanes. I don’t mean he was tied up temporarily, or to drop someone off- he was kicked back, drinking a beer, and fishing for whitebass. To reiterate, entirely blocking all four lanes of one of the busiest launches in NE Wisconsin.

After I backed my rig in, I had to push off his motor to get around him. He wished me good luck like what he was doing was perfectly acceptable. Anyone care to take a guess which state he was from?

I’ve kicked around the idea of abandoning my Memorial Day plans just to go and watch this launch over the weekend. Cheap, quality entertainment. 

Cheers to all other efficient boat launchers out there. May your talents carry over to the less fortunate this beautiful weekend. 

Post Your Comment
5/20/18 @ 9:48 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

That’s why this is one of my favorite threads 

Post Your Comment
5/20/18 @ 4:27 PM
shadling1
shadling1
USER since 1/17/12

OMG!!!! I laughed so hard watching that I almost pissed myself!!!

Edited on 5/20/18 4:27 PM
Post Your Comment
5/20/18 @ 1:15 PM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
USER since 2/4/09

Lmao too funny

Post Your Comment
5/19/18 @ 10:37 PM
ttreebark
ttreebark
USER since 7/6/06

Peter Griffin, ultimate boat launch idiot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oq0YNo02KM

Post Your Comment
5/8/18 @ 10:09 AM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14

Plain and simple.....If there is EVER a place to tie up other than in front of the ramp that is where you should be tying up.

And having your partner standing there holding the rope really makes you  look bad.

....I'm sure that just opened up another can of worms (no pun intended). L0L

Post Your Comment
5/8/18 @ 9:53 AM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14

Well said, migr8tor.

Regarding the fact that it takes YOU (and me) the same amount of time,  I agree. 

My issue is the people blocking the area from others to use.  I don't feel it is my right to determine your time. And I certainly don't want someone else determining how my time is used.

My issue remains the fact that people disregard how their actions affect others.

I've always said boat launches are fluid.  Could be empty for hours and then a bunch of people all show up at once. It never fails.

Post Your Comment
5/8/18 @ 7:41 AM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10

Not sure of the gripe here. It takes the same amount of time either way you do it.Get the tuck first and block the ramp, or tie off first and then get the truck and block the ramp. people just need to understand that alot of us fish solo and that is the way it is. the only idiot is the person that is to inpatient to understand.

Post Your Comment
5/7/18 @ 9:20 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11

I launch my boat solo probably 70% of the time. I fish from March to December. I consider myself a speedy launch/loader based on 99% of the people I see at landings.

I can tell you no one is right here because so much depends on the launch and circumstances. I have both tied to the dock and tied to the seawall and felt under the conditions I was being courteous and respectful in both scenarios.  

Good topic though. Just goes to show how one person's polite is another person's rude.

Post Your Comment
5/7/18 @ 8:10 PM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11

In regards to the parking at a sea wall when going to get the tow vehicle when solo, that’s kind of a grey area. I am often alone and am very well versed at loading my boat. If I see that it could be a situation where it’s going to take a long time to get loaded because I’m waiting for others to launch/load because I didn’t have my boat “in line” at the dock, I’m not gonna wait around for them. Parking my boat away from the launch area doesn’t give anyone any indication of what I’m doing, therefore giving the opportunity for them to launch/load ahead of me. Now if there isn’t a lot of activity at the launch or I’m going to be more than a few minutes getting my truck, then I’ll keep off to the side and take my turn when I get it. There are just way too many idiots for me to open myself to them skipping me and making the process any longer. I can see where someone who is slow and oblivious to what’s going on should park their boat elsewhere and take their turn when the opportunity comes. I’d say I can park my boat at the dock, walk to get my truck, back the trailer in and load my boat in around 5 minutes solo.

Now when launching the boat at a busy launch, I do think blocking a dock is ignorant and whenever possible they should park their boat off to the side while parking the vehicle. But that goes for everyone, not just solo. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,833 Posts