Boat launch idiots!

6/26/01 @ 2:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
goose
goose
USER since 6/16/01
Why is it that every time I go to a public launch I have to contend with someone who has no clue what they are doing? One time After fishing in the morning I get back to the launch, on lake winnebago in the big hole, and on one side of the dock I see a car and trailer in the launch, no boat or a person. I get to the dock and get out and look around and see a boat coming into the harbor. Didn't think much of it. Came back with my truck and trailer, just as two other rigs pull up to launch. I get my boat on the trailer and the boat I saw coming in behind me pulls up onto the trailer parked on the other side of the dock. This guy backed his rig in, got in his boat and went out on the lake without parking his car and trailer in the parking area!!!!!!!!!!! This launch is only a one dock two ramp deal. He had no problem with plugging one side with his car and going out on the lake! I'm sure we all have a few stories about jerks at the boat landings so here is a place to vent!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,867 Posts
6/14/18 @ 6:59 PM
CrystalLakeMonster
CrystalLakeMonster
USER since 11/22/10

Put a camera up at any launch and record the chaos.  Send it in to America's Funniest Home Videos.  Might just win a prize.

Post Your Comment
6/14/18 @ 12:51 PM
utahman
utahman
USER since 3/9/03

I always offer to help a person, if I can tell they may need or want some, then give a few pointers, like back it down so the last roller is just at the water line, or whatever I can see that they may not know. By helping it also gets my boat in quicker. Some of these people only do it twice a year, put in in the spring, take it out in the fall.

Post Your Comment
6/13/18 @ 3:25 PM
banjo dan
banjo dan
USER since 1/5/04

I think that was good of you, Cold Front. If we were all aces at everything, I'm sure I'd still have hair on my left hand after last night's BBQ. 

I think there's a good chance that launches will get better and faster if we all talk to each other a little more and offer help like you did. And you're right - helping can literally just take 30 seconds. Probably have some good karma coming your way.

Post Your Comment
6/13/18 @ 2:21 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

Not a BLI story but still relevant. Launched the boat solo last night without a problem in a 10 lane facility. My buddy was a little delayed so I tied up to the dock and had a beer while waiting. I was ready to move out if it got busy but it obviously was not going to get that busy anyway. A guy came along and was launching an old boat next to mine and he seemed to be having a little trouble getting the rig off the trailer. As it turned out he was just trying to reach a very short lead rope. After recalling a recent post, I decided to ask him if he needed a hand. It took me 30 seconds to reach the lead from the dock and hang onto it while he unhooked it and parked the rig.

My point is that a little reminder in a previous post to help your fellow boater actually had an impact on me. I am not always attentive to the plights of others in that situation. Having read that I was more aware that the guy really just needed a little hand. That is the strength and power of this site. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
6/10/18 @ 12:00 PM
Jared
Jared
MEMBER since 7/22/01

12pack,

I agree about the signage which is why I kind of gave up, but might see what they have to say after the constant ordeal.

I sat on a park bench one Fourth of July and basically couldn't stop shaking my head.

Post Your Comment
6/10/18 @ 10:00 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

The boat prep area signage is a good idea...I've only seen a sign like that on Kegonsa at Fish Camp.  The only folks who know where to stage are the regulars at most launches.

And, signs are ignored by most who are dumb enough to prep their boat while blocking a ramp anyway, so it might not do any good.

Post Your Comment
6/9/18 @ 8:31 PM
Jared
Jared
MEMBER since 7/22/01

ayefish, I was typing as you were posting.

I knew it was going to be fun when he passed me started backing up and messing with the boat.

I should have took video. After 5 minutes or so, I banged my head against the steering wheel and got out.

I walked up and as calmly as I could said, not trying to be a (umm, use your imagination), but you are taking up two lanes of the launch. Do you need a hand? "No, no I'm good". Ok fine. 

Like others have posted, if you're new to the game, it can be difficult, especially alone. More so here with an ENE wind. After he parked his truck he came by and apologized.

But, c'mon man!

Boat landing on a Saturday afternoon is not the place for practice and he nearly wrecked his prop in the process. He's lucky it wasn't busy.

The guy trying to dock came up to me just laughing.

It's not funny, if you need a hand just say so, best for both of us. We've all been newbies at one point.

Thankfully there was some scenery to pass the time...

But it's the same old, same old. I actually emailed the city and suggested some sort of sign at the entrance of the landing, or signage for something like a "boat readying area" something, I don't know. I just don't know, but it certainly does get irritating time after time.

All that for an ENE wind and I caught basically nothing. Should have just pulled by and went home.

Edited on 6/9/18 8:47 PM
Post Your Comment
6/9/18 @ 8:22 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11

Need a little backstory Jared.

Post Your Comment
6/9/18 @ 8:14 PM
Jared
Jared
MEMBER since 7/22/01