Boat launch idiots!

6/26/01 @ 1:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
goose
goose
USER since 6/16/01
Why is it that every time I go to a public launch I have to contend with someone who has no clue what they are doing? One time After fishing in the morning I get back to the launch, on lake winnebago in the big hole, and on one side of the dock I see a car and trailer in the launch, no boat or a person. I get to the dock and get out and look around and see a boat coming into the harbor. Didn't think much of it. Came back with my truck and trailer, just as two other rigs pull up to launch. I get my boat on the trailer and the boat I saw coming in behind me pulls up onto the trailer parked on the other side of the dock. This guy backed his rig in, got in his boat and went out on the lake without parking his car and trailer in the parking area!!!!!!!!!!! This launch is only a one dock two ramp deal. He had no problem with plugging one side with his car and going out on the lake! I'm sure we all have a few stories about jerks at the boat landings so here is a place to vent!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,809 Posts
11/10/17 @ 10:05 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

Here ya go. Took up the whole launch.

Post Your Comment
10/27/17 @ 11:38 AM
banjo dan
banjo dan
USER since 1/5/04
That makes sense to me now, about parking brakes or transmissions not holding. I always assumed it was spinning tires while the weight of a larger boat pulled it all in. Things sure can happen quickly. Hope that person was okay. 

Post Your Comment
10/27/17 @ 6:05 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

It can be pretty easy for a tow vehicle to be pulled back in to the lake on a steep launch with a worn or faulty park brake, especially with an older tranny.  At Olin Park (not even a steep launch) once, by myself, I failed to get the tranny in park completely...it was 1/2-shifted between park and reverse (rushing to get the boat in and get out of the way), as I stepped out of the cab to pull the boat out and tie off, the tranny popped into reverse, and the worn park brake allowed the truck to start backing in.  I was fast enuf to get in and stop it, but talk about a heart stopper.  I was stone sober, 6am or so, so I can easily see a drunk having 10x the problem.

I now am DELIBERATE about shifting to park and stomping on the park brake pedal to the floor.

I'd hate to see how that launch would have turned out on the Big Green launch, east side of the lake....steepest launch ramp I've ever used.

Post Your Comment
10/26/17 @ 7:09 PM
banjo dan
banjo dan
USER since 1/5/04

Lakeshiner, that's a good idea for sure - not to have the kids in the backseat when launching. 

I've seen plenty of videos of recovering an underwater vehicle from launches, but I've never figured out how it actually happens. I'd like to know, because it's definitely something I'd like to avoid! I'm positive the owner had no intention of that happening, and sometimes things just happen too fast to recover from, but how does that happen? 

Post Your Comment
10/26/17 @ 12:39 PM
Jared
Jared
MEMBER since 7/22/01

I'm not even sure how you figured out they were drunk. I've seen this kind of thing a million times, at all hours of the day.

Post Your Comment
10/26/17 @ 9:46 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
USER since 1/11/05

x2 on the additional footage. 

I bought a used boat earlier this year, having never owned, launched or loaded one before. I have had it in the water 4 times now, twice on lakes and twice on the Mississippi. I have not found it to be a difficult thing, mostly just preparation and common sense. Of course it probably helps to be sober, too. Those guys looked to lack all three. Lol. 

Post Your Comment
10/26/17 @ 7:41 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I don't know if you knew how plowed they were when they made their first attempt to pull the boat out with it clearly outside of the wheel wells but it would have been priceless if you would have just let them do it.  

I hope you post more footage of that circus.

Post Your Comment
10/25/17 @ 5:27 PM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

Here is a link to the video from Saturday. This video is just a portion of the nonsense.

https://youtu.be/gMh38ck7fVs

Post Your Comment
10/25/17 @ 2:24 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02

Fished Lake Winnebago Thursday October 19, when I came back to the landing, Grundman Lane, a wrecker was pulling a minivan out that was submerged up to the middle of the windows. 

Post Your Comment
10/25/17 @ 1:53 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
That is why I don't keep my kids strapped in their car seats when launching the boat.  They are always out and standing on shore.  I'm sure that guy thought it would never happen either.

Edited on 10/25/17 1:54 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,809 Posts