big buddy heater only lighting on the right side on high.. HELP!

11/21/14 @ 10:32 PM
ORIGINAL POST
A Fisherman
A Fisherman
MEMBER since 8/21/01
Heater was subjected to being in 6 inches of water and now the left side will not light any body have any ideas or know anyone in the Marinette - green bay area that might be able to help .
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts
3/7/15 @ 8:38 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Took one apart and cleaned it the other day. Walked into a friend's shop and got a "Hey! Glad you're here. I brought my heater in..."

It seems to me that when there's something in the pilot orifice - even if you can blow thru it - that "something" creates turbulence that keeps the pilot from igniting... Swab it with a Q-tip (remove 1/2 of the cotton) and solvent...I used Dewars this time. Really. It wasn't my shop.

It's possible to test it without the shroud. Clean and reassemble the tubes and pilot orifice,then temporarily put the ceramic back on. The easiest part is cleaning everything and getting back in working order. Putting it back together takes some trial and error.

Sometimes the pilot wants to be first lit with a lighter but from then on it'll go with the piezo.

Dive in a try.

Post Your Comment
3/3/15 @ 8:01 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
had that happen on mine the pilot went to heck

Post Your Comment
2/26/15 @ 7:22 AM
Gimper
Gimper
USER since 11/27/01
FlyAllDay,

My best guess, and this is only a guess, is that if you had it hooked to a bulk tank and a hose with no filter that the oils from the fuel line got into your heater and fouled it up. If you have never hooked a bulk tank to it, then check the pilot orifice for spiderwebs/eggs.

Post Your Comment
2/25/15 @ 9:01 PM
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
Anyone have your heater just shut off....I was fishing Monday in the deep freeze and it just shut off. Checked the propane tank and still had half a tank left. Switched out the tanks just in case and it would not fire up. The igniter works, but couldn't get the pilot to go on. Any ideas?

Post Your Comment
12/9/14 @ 8:03 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Well,A.F.?...Did you take it apart and clean the dam thing?

Think about it - the cause of the malfunction was "contamination"....water contamination with possibly some small stuff IN the water...and it's a pretty simple piece of equipment...so the most likely solution is to remove the contamination.

Of course it's easier to simply not try.

Buy another one. Sunflower-style ones are far simpler. Of course you run the risk of burning the shanty walls with that kind of heater.

Post Your Comment
12/2/14 @ 4:57 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Nothing like a little encouragement cds : )

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 5:59 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I thought it might be helpful Plum.

I sensed a defeatist attitude.

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 5:23 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Your first link cracked me up cds... Not quite what I was expecting. Have not thought about Thomas the Train in quite some time...

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 12:50 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Z9aB-yEaE

There's all sorts of info out there regarding the Mr Heater products cleaning maintenance and repair.

google google google...

I think I've put more effort into his problem than the OP has.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/repair-little-buddy-portable-heater/

TYhere's numerous other DIY stuff about those heaters online ...Iceshanty.com...Indepthoutdoors.com....

Edited on 12/1/14 2:00 PM
Post Your Comment
11/29/14 @ 7:13 PM
Summers Off
Summers Off
USER since 5/9/06
Nice link.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts