best smoker recomendations

12/17/15 @ 10:24 PM
ORIGINAL POST
beachcomber II
beachcomber II
USER since 12/7/13
thinking of buying smoker. recommendations wanted. what heat source is best , brand ,glass door steel door. thanx for your opinions in advance.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 41 Posts
8/21/17 @ 10:11 AM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03

The only thing better than a big fresh tomato from the garden on your BLT is to add your own home made bacon. This was my first attempt at making it. Takes a week with the curing and then smoking but well worth the wait and effort. It came out really good, a bit more salt than we like but I'll tweak the recipe for the next one.

Post Your Comment
6/20/17 @ 4:23 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

Bought the Green Mountain pellet grill and have done a couple batches of fish. It is way easier than my old Masterbuilt and better control. I use the meat probe so there is no guessing if it is done. It comes with a real easy to use probe that works off the controls of the grill. I smoked some bows for 5 hours at 150* and then brought them up to 140* with the 200* setting. They were mild and still soft. The next batch was cohos at 150* for 8 hours and then 200* until it reached 145* in a thick chunk. That batch was drier and smokier as expected.The smoky ones are good for dips and spreads. I was searching for the outside parameters. Chicken , Ribs and loin chops have all been good too. The meat probe is way more useful than I thought it would be. Loin chops are done in about 20 minutes at 400*. I would have left them on too long without the probe. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
3/30/17 @ 11:39 PM
BOBBYB
BOBBYB
USER since 5/24/03

Put rub on the ribs put on the Traeger. AWESOME!

Post Your Comment
3/30/17 @ 2:53 PM
Mad Trapper
Mad Trapper
MEMBER since 2/13/02

BB read some reviews on pit boss. Does your auger run 4 min. after u change heat up or down? They said it did, but may be a older review. I would check temps, the review said 20 degress higher than seton one side and 20 degress cooler than set on other side. Not cutting them, just what I read. The good thing is that the review said everything they cooked turned out good.lol

Post Your Comment
3/29/17 @ 8:52 PM
badgerbass
badgerbass
USER since 8/20/07
Mad Trapper take a look at Pitboss Pellet Grills...bought one at Cabelas on black friday and love mine. I heard Walmart might eb stocking them now. They are cheaper in price than the RecTec and Traeger but the quality appears good. They face a members forum on facebook and very few issues, and the issues there were appear to be handled quickly by customer service. I bought a smaller size, wish I would have gone bigger.

Post Your Comment
3/29/17 @ 7:59 PM
Mad Trapper
Mad Trapper
MEMBER since 2/13/02

Does anyone have a Rec Tec pellet smoker. They burn about a lb per hour at 225 degrees. I think it has an Advantage over Taeger as it gets to 500 degrees. 

Post Your Comment
3/29/17 @ 1:10 PM
Mad Trapper
Mad Trapper
MEMBER since 2/13/02

Thanks, I was just cocerned about the cost to smoke items. So if u are smoking at low temps one should no use that much.

Post Your Comment
3/29/17 @ 9:42 AM
badgerbass
badgerbass
USER since 8/20/07

pellet use depends on several factors...temp you are cooking at weather its smoke setting up to about 500 degrees. Also external temp. Longer cooks like pork I might on average use 2-3 pounds of pellets. Burgers, chicken breast, steaks maybe a half pound. I use my pellet grill about 1-2 times a week and a 40lb bag lasts about 2 months.

Post Your Comment
3/29/17 @ 8:04 AM
Mad Trapper
Mad Trapper
MEMBER since 2/13/02

Wondering how long a bag of wood pellets last in a smoker like a traeger? I assume u are smoking for a 5-8 hour period. How many sessions one might get out of a bag of pellets. Thanks  

Post Your Comment
3/20/17 @ 7:29 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Beasley,

From what I have heard, the Traeger is one of the best smokers you can use at home.  I have a Masterbuilt electric, and it is decent...not many complaints.  I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Traeger, however.  It creates heat through burning wood rather than an electric element.  Better smoke infusion than an electric.  I am considering upgrading to one from my Masterbuilt...

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 41 Posts