Youth hunt

9/18/12 @ 8:56 PM
ORIGINAL POST
bkroll
bkroll
USER since 12/5/11
I feel this youth hunt is a sign of our times. Kids now a days are afforded the same if not better opportunitys as adults. What happened to wait your turn like the rest of us had to. Adults spend all the money on hunting and do the scouting so kids can go out a month and a half early and shoot bucks. I think this hunt should be doe only. I may sound cold hearted but I feel very strongly about this, I have 23 nephews so it's not like I don't love kids I do. It's just that I waited my turn, so should they. It just seems every one caters to the kids. Thoughts?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 313 Posts
10/8/18 @ 11:34 AM
Igor
Igor
USER since 6/20/01

First buck of his career yestereday morning at 6:55.  To say he was pumped after this is an understatement.  Now with 3 deer under his belt, he's ready for anything.  Made for one happy young man on the ride home from Jump River.

Also appears as the Savage Axis is a popular rifle.....

Post Your Comment
10/8/18 @ 7:31 AM
FullDraw05
FullDraw05
USER since 10/10/17
I don't know if i paid attention more this  year, there were more youth involved this year, or it was just a good year.. but between the social media platforms i follow, WOW! there was a lot of success this year, congrats to everyone who either shot one or just participated, that is AWESOME!

Post Your Comment
10/7/18 @ 5:55 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER since 7/17/09

Congratulations to all the sucessful youth hunters and to all those that were able to participate! 

Thanks for sharing the pictures! 

Post Your Comment
10/7/18 @ 5:42 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

Great pics, guys! Thanks for sharing your memories.

Tim 

Post Your Comment
10/7/18 @ 5:16 PM
Alum 16.5
Alum 16.5
USER since 3/24/10

Daughter and son had great time this weekend ! 

Edited on 10/7/18 5:18 PM
Post Your Comment
10/7/18 @ 5:04 PM
Nvralone
Nvralone
USER since 10/26/15

My sons second deer. He’ll be ten next week. He had passed several small deer yesterday. We’ve been in the woods the majority of the weekend and can count on one hand the number of shots. 

I also used to oppose the youth hunt. Now having children and being able to spend another great weekend with them is what it’s all about. 

Post Your Comment
10/7/18 @ 4:17 PM
Loomis22
Loomis22
USER since 3/25/18

Proud of my son. Missed a big doe 1/2 hour prior to this nubby coming out.  Made a great shot. 10yrs old, 1st deer.

Post Your Comment
10/6/18 @ 7:47 PM
haf2fsh
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01

My grandson was bummed when we called off our hunt this weekend. Driving over 100 miles to sit in the rain wasn't a good idea. We got a month of prime bow hunting, and the gun season with much better conditions.  Good Luck Everyone..............

Post Your Comment
10/6/18 @ 9:42 AM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

For many of us "older folks" we did not need a youth hunt to get us into hunting. I still remember walking by my brothers side when I was 10-11 years old as we did deer drives. I carried a broom handle (my gun) and did everything to mirror my brothers.In winter we would do rabbit hunts and I was the officially brush pile "jumper"..

Not all kids today grow up in the same pro-hunting enviroment. Even alot of the land I was able to hunt 30-40 years ago is no longer available. I am all for any programs that allow kids to learn and get into the hunting lifestyle. Bummer they have such crappy weather this weekend.. Good luck to all the kids and mentors. 

Post Your Comment
10/6/18 @ 7:59 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

That sounds like a great idea.  Where I go it can be -20 and a bunch of snow, I’m sure kids would love it.  

A good hunter should not be affected by a couple kids during the lull period.  I bet many who complain aren’t affected at all.  It’s just something different to complain about or a new excuse.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 313 Posts