Wood county pittsville deer herd

11/24/17 @ 12:38 AM
ORIGINAL POST
doohop65
doohop65
USER since 2/23/10

Do we have anybody who hunts or is familiar with the deer herd in the pittsville area, especially to the west of pittsville. 

i am looking at some land in wood county but my research has shown some areas are quite good and others not so much. 

Any thoughts are apprecaited. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
12/7/17 @ 10:10 AM
doohop65
doohop65
USER since 2/23/10

Been busy and just getting back to this. Thanks for all the input so far. 

Musky i I will give you a shout in the next few days when I get some free time  

Couple more questions. What kind of land price are you guys seeing? Below are a couple of interesting properties. Driving through the area the other day it seems like it is a lower cost area with many rougher looking places. I would really need to buy either for less than they are asking.

one is north of 73 and one is south. It seems like what I understand with how the lines are drawn north of 73 would be better even though they are quite close to each other. The south property actually seems a little better. Any thoughts are appreciated.

this area is not my first selection because it is too far from my house but it could work if I could get it bough right. I want to get my kids started (3&5) and am tired of the bad experiences on public. 

https://www.whitetailproperties.com/hunting-land/wisconsin/wood/outstanding-hunting-property-in-qdm-area-of-central-wi#tab.photos

https://www.whitetailproperties.com/hunting-land/wisconsin/wood/central-wisconsin-hunting-tract-quality-habitat

Post Your Comment
12/4/17 @ 9:07 PM
Fritz
Fritz
USER since 6/27/01

When  I was a kid (60's), most the deer were in the larger tracts of forest land closer to City Point or by Dexterville.  Quality bucks occasionally would show up, especially to the northwest in the farm lands.

Now, more deer in the farmlands but there are deer in the larger tracts of forestland, just not in the numbers they once were.  I hear about more quality bucks in the whole area than before.

If I was buying land, I would consider area.

Fritz

Post Your Comment
12/2/17 @ 10:35 AM
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

My uncle hunted with some other family members from Colorado really close to the intersection of hwy80 and hwy 73 and they saw more deer in a week then I will see in 10 years of hunting just 30 miles south!! They almost tagged out- they went 7 for 8 tags!! 3 bucks 4 does!! On thanksgiving day they saw 60 deer in one day which is just crazy!! Let's just say they were all smiles on there way back to Colorado!! For as long as I can remember pittsville has always been one of the better areas of the state!! I'm sure some areas are better than others but my only advice is if it's close to cow farmers I would buy it in a second!! It just so happens that cow farmers are good at growing deer and they coexist very well together!! My 2cents-Casedog 

Post Your Comment
12/1/17 @ 8:04 AM
Bullman
Bullman
USER since 4/10/15

DH65, The area west of Pittsville is divided by Hy 73. North of it is Central Farmland and South is Central Forest. The deer herd in the forest region is still down while the farmland area has recoved from those harsh winters. Still not the numbers from 6 - 10 years ago, but we see deer most days. You will find there is minimal farming South of 73, which tends to cause fewer deer, but a good quality hunt. The wolves are also in the area and when they move in all bets are off. We have found the deer to vacate the area for a period of time when we start to see wolves on camera. Good news is that they travel quite a distance, so it does not affect you for the total season. Hope you find a great piece of property up there.

Post Your Comment
11/24/17 @ 10:14 AM
Musky_36
Musky_36
USER since 4/27/02

Dh65,

Check your PM

Post Your Comment