Wisconsin's Unmanaged Wolves

11/13/17 @ 11:35 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

A very interesting possible end around of longtime federal inaction on the out of control  Wisconsin wolf packs.

Edited on 11/13/17 11:37 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 81 to 90 of 498 Posts
1/26/18 @ 11:03 AM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
USER since 8/31/11

Pretty work 

wisconsin-should-do-right-by-wolves

This includes a severe setback when federal protections were removed between 2012 and 2014, opening the door for recreational trophy hunting and trapping seasons. During those years, nearly 70 percent of the wolves killed were caught in cruel, steel-jawed leghold traps or neck snares. Others were killed with equally unsporting and barbaric methods, such as being chased by packs of hound dogs."

Additionally, wolves are essential to a healthy, functioning ecosystem in our state. Native carnivores, like wolves, target older and sick animals and are our best defense against diseases like chronic wasting disease, which is deadly, infectious and incurable and has risen to a prevalence rate of more than 30 percent in adult male deer. Wolves improve the overall health of Wisconsin’s deer herd and are clearly not depleting them, as evidenced by reports from the DNR of a sharp increase in deer hunter harvest numbers in the Northern Forest Zone – where our wolves are – during the past two years.

Melissa Tedrowe is the Wisconsin state director for The Humane Society 

Post Your Comment
1/26/18 @ 10:34 AM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

I think the sanctuary city issue is a better comparison than the marijuana issue. In a “sanctuary city” laws are passed or policies are implemented that prohibit local law enforcement from enforcing federal immigration laws or cooperating with federal immigration officials. This wolf law would be the same in concept by prohibiting local law enforcement (wardens, sheriffs, etc)  from enforcing federal law (ESA in this case) or cooperating with federal law enforcement (USFWS, Forest Service, USDA). If the sanctuary city concept is abhorrent to you the wolf law should be as well. 

Post Your Comment
1/26/18 @ 10:01 AM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

States can't override anything.  Up to this point, the Feds have simply put marijuana enforcement very low on the priority list.  The Attorney General would like to see that changed.

You can bet a wolf hunt would be considerably higher on the Feds priority list.

edit - spelling

Edited on 1/26/18 10:01 AM
Post Your Comment
1/26/18 @ 8:20 AM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

A simple thought & question; 

If states can "legalize"the sale of pot ( even though it is ILLEGAL in the eyes of the nation's laws), why can't states over-ride the federal courts & open up a legal wolf hunt?

I know,  this is just a basic simple thought/question. But doesn't that just make you think?

Please understand,  I realize there are many layers to this topic. With federal courts & judges, different points of views, interpretation of laws & science. 

Just tossing out the idea.

It shouldn't be this damn complicated!

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
1/25/18 @ 8:19 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Ah I forgot about that.  3 times then haha.

Post Your Comment
1/24/18 @ 3:49 PM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

Didn’t Daniel Day Lewis take him out at the beginning of Gangs of New York?

Post Your Comment
1/24/18 @ 2:10 PM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
USER since 8/31/11

Post Your Comment
1/24/18 @ 1:50 PM
trouter
trouter
USER since 7/3/01

The recovery of an apex predator from being nearly extinct in our state to the current population is outstanding and rare news for endangered resources.  Too often, the news about endangered resources is bad.

When it comes to wolf management, Wisconsin has won the Super Bowl of endangered resources.

Post Your Comment
1/24/18 @ 8:42 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Its still a good training movie though, even though he probably died he took out the alpha male in the process.  So if that happens here, the other residents can win from the sacrifice.

Shows how tough wolves are though because the only other that I can think of that killed Liam Neeson in a movie was Darth Maul, and he had the dark side in his favor.

Post Your Comment
1/23/18 @ 4:35 PM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

I never did see the end, I was just too terrified to watch it all knowing that many northern wi residents like myself will increasingly find themselves in similar situations, like that lady in Presque Isle...

Post Your Comment
Displaying 81 to 90 of 498 Posts