Wisconsin's Unmanaged Wolves

11/13/17 @ 11:35 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

A very interesting possible end around of longtime federal inaction on the out of control  Wisconsin wolf packs.

Edited on 11/13/17 11:37 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 71 to 80 of 498 Posts
1/28/18 @ 9:31 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

I finally see some logic. Yet, Trouter continues to show himself as a tree hugging wolf lo ver.  

Most folks not living in the wolf infected areas just cannot grasp the issue. Even then, many that do not hunt, or even frequent the woods living here. have no clue.  They may see it on the news, or their facebook feeds. Yet, dont know what is in their backyard. Even some of my neighbors don't know there are even wolves in WI! Yet,  there have been life or death battles in my yard,  That  shows a serious problem!!  They can give an opinion on a fake news story of our president. Yet, dont know there is a blood thirsty animal waiting to kill FIFI when let out to take a crap! 

Really if you live south of hwy 8. Should just STFU!!  No idea what those of us in the north are dealing with!

Post Your Comment
1/28/18 @ 4:06 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

kona77,

Add to your call list Paul Ryan, whether he represents you or not. As Speaker of the House, he holds power over what may, or may not come up for vote.

Tim 

Edited on 1/28/18 4:06 PM
Post Your Comment
1/28/18 @ 1:29 PM
trouter
trouter
USER since 7/3/01

I will need to chat with a large game biologist about the survival of prions in wolf scat. 

Humans reduce the spread of CWD by reducing deer density.  This is done by banning baiting.

Humans reduce the spread of CWD by tight control of deer farms that have DWD infected deer.

Humans impact CWD by lowering the deer density in areas where the disease is present.  This is accomplished via increased hunting tags made available to hunters.

Humans impact CWD by researching the disease and making informed public policy decisions.

Post Your Comment
1/28/18 @ 12:28 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

Wolves do not impact CWD.  Thinning the herd by sharpshooters, hunters, or predators all can reduce the population.  With most diseases, reducing the population helps prevent the spread of a disease.

CWD is not such a disease, and all management via sharpshooters, hunting, or predator introduction will not prevent the disease from spreading.  There is nothing humans can do to prevent CWD from spreading, short of an oral vaccination placed in bait piles or dropped in the form of bait packets for deer (similar to wild rabies vaccinations).  There is no such vaccine to date.  No vaccine will likely be available within the next 20 years at minimum, unless CWD makes the species jump to humans.  Then, and only then, will enough funding and interest be available to increase research efforts.

When wolves eat a CWD infected deer, they are also spreading the disease.  Wolves have a range of many miles, and after eating a diseased deer they will defecate miles away.  The prion survives in the gastrointestinal tract, and will be deposited to new areas where it remains a vector for at least a decade.  I believe CWD transmission is poorly understood, and things such as spiroplasma in ticks or flies, or vectors such as crows and coyotes could be potentially spreading the disease.  How does a disease travel 100 miles from the nearest wild infected deer to a new area...ie, Lincoln County, Washburn County, etc.?

Post Your Comment
1/28/18 @ 11:30 AM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

I see the comments from the Humane Society noted the "cruel nature of wolves being hunted/chased by hounds". If she feels this is barbaric then she should have the same empathy for deer because that is exactly how wolves kill many of their deer.

I know the terms Logic and Humane Society can never be used in the same sentence. All hunting methods are barbaric in their minds.

I know this was bought up by other posters but we all need to keep contacting our elected officials to let them know we need to give Wisconsin and other states the power to manage this issue.. I get this is a frustrating issue for folks who have to live with high numbers of wolves in their back yard. I will continue to send messages to Baldwin/Johnson and my House Rep. on this matter.       

Post Your Comment
1/28/18 @ 8:47 AM
1/27/18 @ 8:00 PM
trouter
trouter
USER since 7/3/01

Wolves do not eliminate CWD.  They do impact it.

Adams County has both CWD and wolves.  But both in too small a number to impact each other.  

But the science is sound:  wolves cull sick deer, including deer infected with CWD.

Post Your Comment
1/27/18 @ 7:53 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

My GOD!!! Will the stupid ever stop? Guess that was a dumb question!! 

I got just one question.  If wolves are supposed to be the end all to CWD. Why have they not been place in the CWD zones??  Dane county hires sharpshooters, but does not introduce wolves? HMMMMMMMM!!!!

Post Your Comment
1/26/18 @ 5:35 PM
trouter
trouter
USER since 7/3/01

The law enforcement part of the bill was removed.

Counting, monitoring, educating and all the other aspects of DNR work with wolves needs to continue.  To stop doing so would create a hole in the data.  

Post Your Comment
1/26/18 @ 3:28 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I think I've pieced it all together now after seeing that.  Follow me here:

Wolves will prevent CWD.  Fact proven by the Humane Society.

The DNR wanted us to shoot all the deer to prevent CWD.  The DNR caught flack for all the doe tags.

The DNR decided to work with the Feds to fight CWD by using wolves.

The DNR can deny it now and blame the Feds. 

The Feds can point to the courts.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 71 to 80 of 498 Posts