Wisconsin's Unmanaged Wolves

11/13/17 @ 11:35 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

A very interesting possible end around of longtime federal inaction on the out of control  Wisconsin wolf packs.

Edited on 11/13/17 11:37 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 498 Posts
2/1/18 @ 10:00 AM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

Farnorth, Don't let those pesky little falsehoods stop you from another tinfoil rant.

Post Your Comment
2/1/18 @ 9:11 AM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

Tammy Baldwin was actually one of the (edit...authors) of the bill to remove Great Lakes wolves from the ESA along with like five or six other democrat senators that supported the bill. Unfortunately there needs to be 60 senators on board, last I heard they had 57 or 58. 

Tammy

Edited on 2/1/18 9:36 AM
Post Your Comment
2/1/18 @ 8:20 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

Tammy Baldwin wants a wolf hunt about as badly as our current upper management in our WDNR. Not at all.  We can fix that quickly and easily next fall btw. And I don't mind a few wolves around either Ihookem.....everything in moderation though and well managed. Exactly opposite of how wolves have been managed in Wisconsin going on 20 years. I wonder If those wolves are STILL not eating the BRF elk calves though. I really would like to see an accurate count on wolf predation on that collared herd though.....if done honestly it should give some great info on wolf predation in the Midwest. If done dishonestly...........then more pro wolf WDNR/Humane Society drivel. 20 years later and our crack scientists at the WDNR  are still scratching their heads over  almost no growth in Wisconsin's elk herd. Only in Wisconsin. 

Post Your Comment
1/31/18 @ 8:44 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

Lets see a bunch of wolf pics . Frankly, I seldom get them on the trail cams up in Price co.  They are wild animals by the way. I like wolves. I think they're cool. Maybe cause I'm part Native American.  They don't bother me at all and honestly believe I am the Wolf Whisperer. I walk right up to them in the woods. We get along just fine.  I guess my point is , we can complain till hell freezes over and repost the same lines a thousand times. it isn't getting us anywhere. You want to change something? Maybe get on Tammy Baldwinn and see if she can push through something. I dont know neither. She sais she wants a wolf hunt so let he put her money dont and get a vote going. 

Edited on 1/31/18 8:52 PM
Post Your Comment
1/31/18 @ 12:53 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

Interesting posts while I was gone on vacation for a bit. The Natives certainly did hunt harvest and eat wolves. To suggest otherwise is mentally challenged. And as for our WDNR they don't want to effectively estimate wolf populations in Wisconsin in any way shape or form. The people we employ to manage our states wildlife are in absolute lockstep with the Wisconsin Humane Society. CWD indeed and a lower deer population to boot! Had a cousin find a gorgeous 8 pointer last week that would have been a monster next year.......too bad a pack of real monsters got him before license buying state hunters. They don't eat the antlers though. The only part of a deer a  pack of wolves don't. Let's see if we have an increase in deer kill next year after a crappy winter( global warming lol) and moderate antlerless kill. I'll go out on a limb and guess a decrease.......a big one for 2018....... along with  another huge decrease in license sales to coincide with the pi$$ poor wildlife management we are currently getting in Wisconsin.  Exactly as this pro wolf agenda was planned. Still waiting to hear BRF elk predation rates for 2017...........they should be interesting indeed. 

Post Your Comment
1/30/18 @ 8:41 PM
Capt Quint2
Capt Quint2
USER since 4/14/15

Thus is crazy. There is absolutely no need for any kind of wolf population in this state. I wish we could kill them all. The DNR should also open up more Bear tags since the Bear population is too large and take a lot of fawns in the spring.

The North Country is screwed now with the large number of all predators, harsh winters and the DNR still allowing doe shooting in most zones.  

Quint out.  Good hunting and stay safe!

Post Your Comment
1/30/18 @ 7:24 PM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

The 2/3 rule has to do with harvest, or as a general rule of thumb, you can harvest 1/3 of the adults and still sustain the population. But all species are different depending upon reproductive rates and other factors. You probably couldn’t kill 1/3 of all adult sperm whales and sustain the population. You could probably kill half the adult coyotes and sustain. 

Post Your Comment
1/30/18 @ 7:20 PM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12

Trouser

Your comments are only valid if you wish to SUSTAIN 607 wolves. If you are shooting to hold a population of 350 you must obviously harvest in excess of 66%. Once you hit that target them the 66% rule can be applied.

Provided Wisconsin regains management, the target population will become yet another political football.

Post Your Comment
1/30/18 @ 7:17 PM
Brother of the brush
Brother of the brush
USER since 1/22/12

That's some funny stuff there Trouter......I guess with head in sand people don't think clearly.

Post Your Comment
1/30/18 @ 6:02 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
So, if the population climbs to 100,000, then we should manage for 60,000?  That doesn't make sense.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 498 Posts