Wisconsin's Unmanaged Wolves

11/13/17 @ 10:35 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

A very interesting possible end around of longtime federal inaction on the out of control  Wisconsin wolf packs.

Edited on 11/13/17 10:37 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 20 to 29 of 498 Posts
2/3/18 @ 8:44 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

PLH, it's just not worth my comment 

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 3:43 PM
phishin phool
phishin phool
USER since 4/5/08

Steve White, thanks ever so much for answering my question. NOT!!!

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 11:49 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Duck, thats because all but the collared female are singles. She does have a mate. Just not caught them on the camera together. The other game cam pics. Might not have caught other members of the pack as they passed. Although I doubt the one with mange was still part of a pack.  As for the other pics. The one in the potato field was only one close enough for even a poor pic with a cell phone. The other 3 were already at the tree line. That was in the field. Just south of Sugar Camp on hwy 17!  The other was part of 3 on hwy D by the rainbow damm. Taken by a friend of mine. He did not see the other 2 on the other side of the road until it was to late. I do got track pics of that pack. The very next day after that pic was taken.  About a mile away.

So I dont get pics of multiples togehter on the bear baits. Most of my baits are not where there are bigger packs. Even then the smaller packs dont ever seem to go into the baits all together for what ever reason.  Now the edited track pics show 1 less wolf than is in that pack. Not sure where the 5th one was that day. His track not in the road. I do have 3 bear baits on that road. Rarely do they ever go into those baits to get pictures taken. I wont put my game cameras right on the road either. But if you wish to send me a few of yours. Would be glad too. Just plan for them to be stolen!  Those 3 baits maybe get 1 or 2 wolf pics on them a year. But the tracks are there clear as day!  Love to hunt that piece. But I rarely will hunt the dogs in that piece. Dont even much like taking my bird dogs in there.

Once in a while a pack of 4 will move through the area with the bait that has the collared female on it. Never have gotten them on camera.  December 2016 had one day to cat hunt that piece before the snowmobile trails opened restricting access. A beautiful big cat is in that area. Just as we started to look for his tracks. Rounded a corner on a logging road to find the 4 pack tracks fresh as could be. They went the exact way I was going. Which took them right past that bait within 20yds. Of course not bear season so no camera there.  Would have been out of range anyway.  That pack kept from hunting that piece that day. 

I'll get some cameras out the next time we get a good snow. Only so my tracks can be covered up. So it wont be so easy for the thieves to steal them!!  Believe being coyote season yet, I can still legally put them out. Will have to check on that!

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 8:03 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
USER since 4/5/08

Steve White, I was not "fishing" for anything. The pictures just perked my natural curiosity, and so I thought if I asked the question...you might have told me. Instead of the dribble you chose to use. 

Nothing wrong with honest curiosity...well, except for that one cat. 

Edited on 2/3/18 8:45 AM
Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 7:33 AM
duckjunkie
duckjunkie
USER since 11/3/08

Your track picture comments assume multiple wolves yet your pictures of wolves are only singles.......hmmmm

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 6:56 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

These are a few pics of how wolves typically work a road. Couple in the woods. Couple in the road. Until they find a target.

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 6:52 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Here a couple a few miles south of me. The one was in the middle of a large potato field middle of the day!!

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 6:46 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

That's just foolish!! Risk loosing the bulk of my lively hood so stupidly! 

I dont normally put out cameras randomly in the woods. 99% are out on baits.  I should put a few out for kicks.

These 2 pics are right behind my house!  Yes, the one had mange!!

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 6:34 AM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
USER since 8/31/11

Here's a dead wolf pic for you. 

Legend goes the young warrior was walking his domesticated dog through the prairie.  Dog takes off the path and finds a carcass to roll in.   Upon investigating the young warrior becomes deeply saddened to discover a deceased brother wolf. He raises his hand above his head makes a fist and shakes it at the heavens screaming "dam you complications from brain worm!"  Anyways he saved the hide and wore it, this is how most predator pelts were obtained.  I'm not sure why the artist depicted the drum thing as a massive vajajay though.

Post Your Comment
2/2/18 @ 10:12 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

Any more wolf pics not over bait?  We have a total of 10 trail cam pics of wolves and most are the same wolf a few minutes apart. Any more pics? Let's see them. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 20 to 29 of 498 Posts