Wisconsin's Unmanaged Wolves

11/13/17 @ 10:35 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

A very interesting possible end around of longtime federal inaction on the out of control  Wisconsin wolf packs.

Edited on 11/13/17 10:37 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 498 Posts
2/7/18 @ 1:59 PM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

Elk Advisory Committee Minutes

Here you go badger. While not the biannual update you are yearning for, it does provide some of the updates you were looking for. Go to the dnr website and search for elk advisory committee and there are other minutes from previous meetings. I don’t know what to make of this so I’d love to hear your insights 

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 9:04 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
USER since 4/5/08

Steve White, I have always been a man who, when makes a mistake, or is wrong, quickly admits it. In this case I must be wrong about the native american point and, I apologize. However, I was not nor was I fishing for anything. I did know the pics were wolves. I am NOT a city boy. I did not know they were looking for or at bear bait. On that issue I will plead if ignorant and, I hope you know the difference between ignorant and stupid. 

In my defense I guess I was just put off you did not answer my honest questions. 

As far as trolling you...I do NOT troll ever. Not even when I am on the water and phishing!

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 8:52 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

phishin phool,  I'm sorry that I took your not knowing most of the pics I posted were of wolves at an obvious bear bait. Thinking you were perhaps an anti fishing for something.  My wrong.

But, now you got my curiosity peeked. Having now gone through all the posts on this topic. I see no where I stated being part Native American. Which makes me wonder where you gleamed that info? Perhaps trolling me else where? Perhaps my initial thoughts were right?

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 8:10 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Oh whoops, I was out last week and didn't look at this site.  Too lazy to read back so you can be smart with me if I deserve it, I have no problems with that!  I just noticed it on our local news today so they must be behind.

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 7:58 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
USER since 4/5/08

lakeshiner, I am (seriously) not trying to be a smart a$$ but, I posted a link about that story on 28 Jan '18. Just an FYI.

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 7:07 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Saw on the news this morning that a guy shot a wolf during opening day of rifle season.  It was collared and when it was found they saw the guy in his stand yet.  He also was illegally baiting.

So the genius shot a wolf and then stayed by it LOL.  One less I suppose for you guys counting.  Hopefully one less idiot in the woods too.  He must have thought one of the 3 S's was 'Stay'.

Post Your Comment
2/4/18 @ 8:32 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

Black squirrels? In 4-5 separate spots in one day ? I see more wolves than squirrels and that's no joke.  It wasn't beaver hair either . It was late summer and it could only have been bear hair. It was jet black either a bear or an angus cow. That was a few year ago when the bears very likely outnumbered the deer. That clearly has  been the plan all along from our dysfunctional WDNR. Predators eating predators after the small game is gone and the deer herd was demolished. No humans needed.  How very Humane. A Northwoods predator pit exactly as planned by our WDNR. The pro wolf propoganda still coming out of Madison is proof  enough of that. 

Edited on 2/4/18 9:19 AM
Post Your Comment
2/4/18 @ 8:11 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
USER since 4/5/08

Steve White-man, I am still trying to figure out why you felt the need, to put it your post, that you are part Native American??? What bearing did it have on your post??? 

Once again, my natural curiosity has been aroused. 

Post Your Comment
2/4/18 @ 5:43 AM
jkb
jkb
USER since 6/25/02

Wolf populations used to be monitored through the radio collars like the one in Steve's pictures.  There was someone in charge of trapping and collaring wolves in the state.  Once collared,  the wolves that were usually a part of a pack would be located with a plane during winter surveys and the pack would be counted.  This method is costly and was probably eliminated especially after the cuts to the DNR.  The method of just using tracking data is highly inefficient and misses many of the areas that aren't cut by roads.  There are at least 6 wolves in one of the areas Steve is alluding to that are not on any DNR map.  If this is true in one area then you can extrapolate that data out over the state to see where the population is really underestimated.

IMO the wolf population is underestimated and we need a season but to say you should be afraid to walk in the woods with the fear of being attacked is ridiculous. I rarely carry a gun even in small game hunting season as the grouse population is not high in my area.  FNB, short black hair could be anything from black squirrels to beavers which wolves can catch easier than deer in the summer/fall.  With that said, I would anticipate that with the crust on the snow in Vilas the wolves have the advantage.  They can move much faster over the top of the snow with their large feet.  Deer have retreated into towns and around homes to seek food and avoid contact with predators already this winter based on my observations around St. Germain.  I'm sure you could drive through the wooded subdivisions around any northwoods towns and see hundreds of deer.

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 8:44 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

PLH, it's just not worth my comment 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 498 Posts