Wisconsin's Unmanaged Wolves

11/13/17 @ 11:35 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

A very interesting possible end around of longtime federal inaction on the out of control  Wisconsin wolf packs.

Edited on 11/13/17 11:37 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 498 Posts
2/9/18 @ 8:29 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

That Newald /Cavour region is where the last Wisconsin wolves were killed in the early 60s. It's very near where my family pioneered at the turn of the century. I have fond memories of hunting there in the 80s and 90s learning to hunt with my grandfather on land he hunted as a child. I'd love to teach my son there but  now it's very rare to see a deer and it's  foolish to deer hunt there. Exactly as planned by the anti hunters managing our WDNR now. Amazingly with such a historically low deer density in that region our WDNR foresters still howl about so called "overbrowse" . Even going so far as to issue private timber companies antlerless tags to slaughter pregnant does off of winter log jobs a never ending quest to eradicate the deer herd in that region. The new deer goal seems to be zero and unmanaged Wisconsin wolves are definitely a means to that end. It used to be absolutely overrun with grouse and rabbits too. The amount  of grouse were simply staggering,more grouse harvested in an hours walk than would be seen in an entire season hunting hard nowadays. A Northwoods sportsmans paradise turned into an utter wasteland by our predator loving WDNR political activists. Unmanaged Wisconsin wolves simply are a means to further the far lefts anti hunting /anti gun agenda. The scary part is that their plan is working and hunters including me are simply stopping hunting or going elsewhere. The left through their mismanagement are getting the end result they are after ......destroying the proud Wisconsin hunting tradition . The plummeting Wisconsin license sales prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt. It's time for this nonsense to end the sooner the better .   Bring on the wolf bill Senator Tiffany ! And bring on a bobcat season too!

Edited on 2/9/18 9:21 AM
Post Your Comment
2/9/18 @ 6:35 AM
icebelt
icebelt
USER since 10/22/13

Just shoot them all what can the Feds do lock everyone in the state up? I know that won't happen, they can't control are boarders let alone keep track of their over populated fir babies. All they have is threats to try and stop people who don't need these dogs around, this makes up all people! Nobody needs them some people just want them.

Post Your Comment
2/9/18 @ 5:41 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Armstrong creek has been thick with wolves for many years. One of the top dog killing areas in the north.  Logging is not bringing them in. Just making it easier to kill the few remaining deer. Would be just awesome for a few yuppie snowmobilers to get attacked. Would be another revenue source destroyed by the so needed wolf.

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 11:26 PM
yamatroller
yamatroller
USER since 5/7/06

I seen on the 100 Mile Snow Safari Snowmobile Trail Report in Forest County they are warning about wolves on the trail West of Armstrong Creek to Newald. There is logging going on in that area and I suppose that attracts the deer so the wolves are not far behind. We were through there a couple weeks ago and seen a nice doe and 2 fawns, I wish them luck!!

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 1:23 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

What wolves? 

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 12:40 PM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10

They mention at least one other bull elk for the Clam Lake herd as a wolf kill but the update regarding kills was specifically for the introduced Kentucky elk and their recent offspring, not the herd as a whole. BRF update did not mention anything about kills. This is also not a report, but just meeting minutes. It's a quick update, not an indepth report out.

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 8:28 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

Some  citizen must have gotten a pic of that calf being eaten by wolves for it to be termed a " confirmed wolf kill" . The rest of the BRF herd must have excelled at the tree climbing lessons our WDNR has been teaching them. It seemed in that report that there were zero other wolf predations in 2017..................that's a stunning turnaround from the over 30% rates in 2016. That's our very pro wolf WDNR as always so hard at work............... protecting their precious overpopulation of wolves not the truly endangered once native Wisconsin elk. 

Edited on 2/8/18 9:29 AM
Post Your Comment
2/7/18 @ 9:50 PM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10

At least the wolves finally managed to kill one of those elusive calves...

Post Your Comment
2/7/18 @ 5:50 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13
Thanks for the link Fish, much appreciated. Not a single mention at this entire meeting of predation rates on the BRF elk herd by wolves or any other predators? On hard data from an electronic collared elk herd. Only in Wisconsin. As always unbelievable. Prowolf WDNR politically agenda  indeed. 

Edited on 2/8/18 9:30 AM
Post Your Comment
2/7/18 @ 4:52 PM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
USER since 8/31/11

What am I missing?  We let go 80 some elk the last few years in the flambeau and now the northern herd is 185.  Is that a success story?  Reminds me of a stocked trout pond.  See what happens when they stop delivering new bodies every year.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 498 Posts