SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

winter deer kill

4/1/14 @ 12:44 PM
INITIAL POST
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13
anyone have any ideas or stories of deer kill off yet, snow and weather is crazy. There talking more snow for this weekend April 4th - 5th. Gonna be ugly for the deer.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 69 posts
4/21/19 @ 6:51 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Although I’ve noticed some very large groups of deer (100+), I’ve also noticed more smaller groups of deer than I can count (2 to 5).

I have not seen this many deer moving around Vilas County since the 90’s. Even back roads with nothing but forest on both sides have small groups of deer everywhere.  

Really encouraging...

4/19/19 @ 10:10 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
Seeing large groups of deer in early Spring tells me that winter took a toll.  Throwing caution to the wind and feeding in daylight in large groups tells me they are very hungry.  You can't use Spring sightings to evaluate deer populations.
4/16/19 @ 7:36 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

Lakeshiner,

I agree with your entire post. My thoughts exactly about it being a little deceiving. Every day I drive hwy 45 north to land o lakes then west on hwy b and the numbers of deer on the sides of the roads now are quite surprising. Those deer were not there a month ago. As soon as the south facing banks become free of snow, the deer show up. These deer will disperse in another month or so. Happens every year.

Driving around in the big woods areas however is a different story. These are the deer populations I’m concerned about. Hwy 70 east towards forest county, the deerskin/blackjacks area, High lake area. I will know more in a couple weeks when I start running trail cameras. 

4/16/19 @ 2:50 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

I live in SE Wisc. and saw 19 deer in a hay field at 11:00 yesterday.. I was out looking for turkey's and just assumed I was looking at a big flock of birds (they were 500+ yards away).. Very unusual to see so many deer at that time of day but the hay field is starting to 'green-up".Biggest group of deer I have seen in years.

Also saw a group of 8 deer 3-4 days ago so some of the deer are still bunched up in this area..Marshes are full of the water and I know that is also a factor in the deer still showing up in bigger groups

4/16/19 @ 9:34 AM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10

I'm willing to bet the deer numbers in the hurley area didn't go up. That's where I hunt. The winter is always brutal. I hope some day they make a comeback so my kids have something to hunt. I'm glad it is still buck only hunting yet. 

4/16/19 @ 8:16 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

This time of year I think of that more as the deer still being sort of yarded up.  They'll also show up along the roads more because that is the first place the sun hits to melt the snow.  I think its a little deceiving personally.  Like seeing a flock of 100 turkeys in a field this time of year and in 2 weeks there will be 5, after they disperse from their winter flocks.  

I have seen some fresh road kill in some areas.  Nothing near my cabin though, but then again there never are any there.  I always say you can tell deer densities by road kill.  Our area is one of the lowest in the state and you can tell because no one ever hits any.  If I drive around Minocqua or east of there though towards Eagle River, then there will be deer again along the roads and more are hit.  I assume there are more over there, but I don't hunt there.

4/15/19 @ 6:52 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Traveling on Hwy 8 and Hwy 13 the past few weeks, routinely see hundreds of deer. I'm sure they're concentrated to some extent. But compared to years past numbers appear to be up. 

4/13/19 @ 5:56 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Could be...

I will say that we’ve been seeing deer in high numbers on Hwy. M, Hwy. N, Hwy 155, and all sorts of deer on Razorback Road on the way to our cabin.  I have not seen this many deer up north for 30 years or so. 

We saw around 30 deer on our way to Boulder Junction from Sayner last weekend.  5 here, 3 there, 4 more over there - they are just everywhere right now.  

We have 5 deer that have been hanging around our cabin too - really encouraging!

4/12/19 @ 7:53 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05

Plmlk-

Are you sure your just not seeing big concetrations of deer that were pushed into areas from many miles away during this past winter. In NW Wisco when we get back winters like this past one I usually always see more deer in the spring because they are forced into the best of the best habitat just to survive and they have dispersed yet back to their normal home ranges.

Spring of 2014 I saw 17 deer in a clear cut I hunt regularly. I can promise you that specific 640 acre section maybe has 17 deer total in it during the fall any given day of any given year.

4/11/19 @ 1:49 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

Plmlk, 

yes there’s some big pockets of deer where they yarded up a bit. I have seen the fields around sugar camp loaded up with deer now that the snowpack is down. I know of several areas around Vilas and Oneida where there’s large pockets of deer...  It’s the deer populations out in the sticks that has me concerned. And unfortunately my neck of the woods (U.P. Border) gets compared with the Merrill and Medford areas which isn’t right in my mind. Sharp contrast in winter severity in just 100 miles. 

4/7/19 @ 10:10 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

I don’t believe I can recall a time when we’ve seen more deer than what we’ve been seeing lately in Vilas county. 

Saw around 100+ deer in a field near Sugarcamp.  

Near Sayner they are everywhere too.  Have around 5 that have been hanging around the cabin too.  

Despite the winter, they seem to have stronger numbers than I’ve seen in quite some time. 

3/23/19 @ 9:43 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Still a fair amount of snow in Mosinee today . Anywhere the suns not on all day  .

3/13/19 @ 8:27 AM
woodturner
PRO MEMBER User since 2/12/04
3/12/19 @ 6:56 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

I've officially been triggered!  lol  First time ever,,really!

3/7/19 @ 2:14 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06
This winter has been bad, but deer not being in fields as much is more a function of genetics than weather.  Deer's metabolism changes by late winter.  They mainly eat tree buds and things like that, and their metabolism slows way down.  Every year come February sightings in fields go down.  It's a survival mechanism.  If they needed ground food to survive winters they'd be extinct by now.  
Displaying 1 to 15 of 69 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE