winter deer kill

4/1/14 @ 11:44 AM
ORIGINAL POST
freeguideservice
freeguideservice
USER since 12/4/13
anyone have any ideas or stories of deer kill off yet, snow and weather is crazy. There talking more snow for this weekend April 4th - 5th. Gonna be ugly for the deer.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 44 Posts
9/11/14 @ 8:41 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I figure the only thing I have going for me this year is that I'm not a trophy hunter so if a forker comes by, I'll be letting one fly. Kids love venison hotdogs.

This one is a slob. Tounge Out

Edited on 9/11/14 8:42 AM
Post Your Comment
9/11/14 @ 7:51 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
I have seen a total of one doe that has two fawns this year, and that was seen while driving in the vehicle. Very few fawns in general, and if a doe was lucky enough they always seem to have one fawn this year. Lots of either "dry does", last year's fawns that weren't bred, or does who failed to produce a fawn due to the harsh winter. The deer numbers are down in the large public areas I hunt from 2013, and the numbers were much lower in 2013 compared to 2012. Very few 3.5 year old bucks last year compared to 2012, so I don't feel I have much hope this year at all.

Post Your Comment
9/11/14 @ 7:06 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I do agree the bigger bucks are probably down, it only makes sense. They would be the least prepared for the winter. I shot a nice one during muzzleloader a few years back and it had no fat on it whatsoever. They cover a lot of ground looking for does compared to farmland deer. I was just more surprised at how many fawns have been around, wasn't expecting that.

Post Your Comment
9/10/14 @ 1:59 PM
Saronafish
Saronafish
USER since 1/5/05
I moved around trust me. I had cameras in 21 different locations for no less than 2 weeks before they got checked or moved and I always went at least 1/2 a mile as the crow flies away to try to get into a different home range of other deer when moving the cameras. Im not a rookie at this game. I am just telling you the winter killed a pile of deer in MY area. Everyones area is different. WSI for my area was 170 I believe and that killed a lot of old bucks. wasn't trying to say anyone was wrong that the deer did good by them. It just wasn't the case by me. I contacted the county Biologist for the county I hunt and he said my observations were spot on with his and other peoples for the county.

Those 21 different locations were at the most spread out over an area of about 9 miles by 9 miles so I covered some ground. There are no farm fields within 10-15 miles so its 100% forest and mostly public land. Its a super large area and there are areas that I just never got a camera in that deer could have moved in but I think I got a pretty good sample of what made it through last winter. A few wolves, lots of bear, a couple bobcat, a surprising number of doe and fawns, and very very few bucks over 2 years old.

Post Your Comment
9/10/14 @ 8:43 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
In the past years, I would see 10-20 deer a day, everyday at my house. This year I see a doe with one fawn and a second doe with 2 fawns maybe once a week. When 8 fawns are orphaned during gun season, and that is just how many that I know for a fact had their mothers shot, what can you expect. I'm sure my neighbors blame the wolves or some other factor, anything but themselves.

Post Your Comment
9/10/14 @ 8:36 AM
thechief
thechief
USER since 5/2/05
truth is you may never really know what the winter kill did to the deer herd. just because your not getting trail pics where you did in the past years, doesn't mean they are dead. deer herds move, seems like you have to find them from year to year, and sometimes I have to go a few miles from the area I hunted last year to get back into the family groups again.

Post Your Comment
9/10/14 @ 7:16 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
And that's why I said my area didn't constitute the whole northwoods Big Smile North of 70 is pretty broad lol.

Post Your Comment
9/10/14 @ 6:09 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
USER since 1/5/05
Im north of 70 as well and it was as bad if not worse than what I figured it would be.

All public land where I hunt. My camera pictures are down 75% from last year which was down about 50% from 2012 so I am getting about 12% of the pictures I got in 2012.

I had 14 bucks on camera over 3.5 in 2012 and I killed one of them and knew of 1 other one being killed.

Last year we had roughly 10 on camera mostly all the same ones from the year before. This year I have 2 bucks over 3.5 on camera and they are both deer I have had on camera in years past.

So for old bucks last winter killed 80% of them in my area. I will say this spring I saw more fawns on camera then 2013 so I was very happy to see that. But to say it wasnt as bad as we thought would be a joke. I proof is in my pictures for my area.

Post Your Comment
9/8/14 @ 9:34 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I'm starting to think maybe this winter wasn't as bad as I thought in my area(I'm north of 70). Got a doe with 3 fawns by my cabin (aka Super Doe) and another with a single fawn. Also a spiker and fork. Don't typically see nicer bucks till the rut so no shocker only small ones. Another area a ways away had a different doe with 3 fawns (Super Doe 2), a fork, a decent six out to the ears with no brows, and a few other lone does. All in all, not any different than prior years so far. I do realize my couple spots don't constitute the whole north woods though, but it's good to see the fawns. No doe this year should just help, granted it's been no doe for at least the past 4 years anyway.

Post Your Comment
7/9/14 @ 9:54 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I think the road kills were partly due to the mosquitoes this year. They were so bad early on that the deer were staying more in open areas to avoid them (fields or cut ditches). Saw that a lot up north. The deer I've seen in the woods could not stand in one place for very long and their ears and tails were going non-stop. Never saw them act like that before but when I stepped outside it was easy to see why. One was flapping its ears so much I thought it was trying to fly. Big Smile

Edited on 7/9/14 9:54 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 44 Posts