What killed it for you?

10/14/18 @ 11:09 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

To piggyback on the last thread "What motivates you?"

What killed it for you?

For me it was my dad getting sick about 3 years ago. He passed just almost 2 years ago.

Toss in a dislocated knee and other med problems. I haven't seen the woods in over 3 years.

Never missed a year since I was 10 (I am 37) until then. I just lost it. 

I'd rather be fishing.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 89 Posts
12/24/18 @ 11:09 AM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

Will be selling a family property (in-laws), house, and 80 acres of land Sauk cty in the spring. Have had a ton of great hunts and memories. However, as Ive told the nephews deer season is only 3 months, there are 9 other months of work. I haven't minded the work as it keeps me busy, but busy with no time for other interests is a problem. When it becomes obvious that there is always time to hunt, but never time to help out, its time to sell. I'm fortunate to have a ton of other land available in the Green, Lafayette county area. I'm sure my cousin that I'm very close to will appreciate an extra set of hands around the farm. Not asking for full time help, just a little assistance now and again. 2 shoulder operations this year and another a few years ago makes it harder. I've made the comment many times to deaf ears, that when its gone its gone. No doubt in my mind that its gonna hit home to them when the sold sticker goes on the sign. Merry Christmas everyone.

Post Your Comment
12/19/18 @ 7:23 PM
bluefin16
bluefin16
USER since 1/9/08

Arrogant and demanding? No way!!! A t.v. star never saw it coming!!! Lol

Just funnin a little Cws

I remember Winkelmann back in the day would fish big cedar once in a while. Sister would see him in the bar afterwards. He was a nasty rude drunk. Also heard he tried to be a womanizer, but with that look it was probably too hard to pull off! The drunk part is true, the rest is speculation.

Post Your Comment
12/19/18 @ 1:37 PM
CWScoach
CWScoach
USER since 6/7/18

.  They are definitely not what you see on screen from what I have heard.  Very arrogant and demanding.  When they come to WI they take the mantra of being in a different zip code from home as well.  It is a tough industry and unless you are a bully you do not often get anywhere.  Their videos are second to none.

Post Your Comment
12/19/18 @ 12:19 PM
bluefin16
bluefin16
USER since 1/9/08

Much worse..... the demons might put the skeletons in there!

Post Your Comment
12/19/18 @ 8:15 AM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Sounds worse than skeletons to me......

Post Your Comment
12/19/18 @ 5:58 AM
bluefin16
bluefin16
USER since 1/9/08

Can you expand on the demons in the drury's closet comment?

Post Your Comment
12/19/18 @ 4:51 AM
CWScoach
CWScoach
USER since 6/7/18

This is going to come off as contradictory in the end, but it is all the tv shows with all the bigger than you videos.  On top of that it annoys me that I have to watch them drink coffee and explain it.  I can watch it, just show me the action.  I miss the Babe type guys who explain, teach and give hands on stuff for after the kill too.  As far as the Drury boys, they have demons in their closet but we all do.  They make money on us.

I am fortunate enough to have two boys, a budding producer who can take lousy footage and make it look decent and try an old tactic.  No worries about the biggest or the best although there are some episodes.  Mentoring kids, getting them out and them showing the audience cooking segments, how to clean etc. with the help of others.  Our last episode is on snapping turtles.  The little money we make goes into putting it on the channel. Not many people know about it locally and that is a shame but  Hopefully when the boys are older they will have great memories they can look back on.  If you are bored check it out, there are some pretty cool episodes.http://www.huntchannel.tv/growin-up-wild/ 

Post Your Comment
12/11/18 @ 3:19 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Kids definitely changed my hunting.  We don't live that close to family for easy baby-sitters.  I went from hardcore to not caring quite as much.  Now I just take what I can get.  I'm not going to compete with the guy hunting any time he wants with nothing really holding them back.   I just had to come up with ways to make it work.  In the past that's all I'd do, any free time I'd be in a tree.  I've come to realize I was missing a lot though too.  I actually do more overall by deer hunting less now.

We duck hunt in a boat, kids have toys along and blow on calls, etc.  I have ear muffs for them.  We bring lots of snacks.  Its chaotic at times but we get ducks yet.  I even started deer hunting in a ground blind so they could come along.  Amazingly we get deer, even though they are loud at times.  They seem excited about it so that's been fun for me, different kind of fun I guess.  Gets easier every year now as they get older. 

Edited on 12/12/18 7:40 AM
Post Your Comment
12/10/18 @ 3:11 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
USER since 5/31/02

I'm sure this will be a very unpopular opinion, but what's killing it for me is the lack of antlerless permits available in the northern forest zone.

I know what we did in the past was wrong (with 1000s of antlerless permits available up there) but at this point in my life (59) I sure would be happy to just take one reasonably plump doe for the freezer.

I've never been a trophy hunter and I'm not going to claim I need to shoot a deer to survive. But a freezer full of venison does take a bite out of the grocery bill. With much healthier and more delicious meat to boot.

Like other guys have posted, age does take its toll on you and feet and knees and hips and back just can't do things anymore like they did when you were 30. Trust me, one day you're looking in the mirror and you're pushing 60 years old. HTF did that happen.

I liked to old days of Hunters Choice. Bring it up to date and make it one deer and you're done in the northern forest zone. That would work for me.

After this year, I think I might be done.

Forever.

RR

Post Your Comment
12/3/18 @ 4:42 PM
wack'em & stack'em
wack'em & stack'em
USER since 3/13/10

i lost my itch to get out for a few reasons

1- have a young kids. too young to take out. and i lack patience to take child out. i waterfowl hunt and most spots need a helping hand to hunt.

2- most friends either dont hunt anymore,or we've grown apart.

3- i travel 5-30 days in a row,due to my work. time home is time with family.

4- had permission to hunt 300 acres in iowa county. landowner passed and kids sold it.

all reasons killed my buzz.

i get out in the blind about 2-5 times a year. kill a few ducks/geese. i live in country. so some shooting is just pass shooting geese. hope to get out more once kids get older.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 89 Posts