MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Tree Stands

10/21/18 @ 11:31 PM
INITIAL POST
alexdozon
alexdozon
User since 9/26/18

Hopefully, I'm not the only one that feels this way. Hunting from a treestand as I get older not liking it as much. I seem to get colder faster. The thought of falling even though I still wear a harness. I just think better off just hunting from a blind. A bad thing about blinds is the view isn't as great. Ideas thoughts?

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
10/22/18 @ 8:58 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

For many years we have used Ambusher Tree Stands, light portable and easy to set up. Trouble is they are not made anymore. We use them when we are moving around. For more permanent stands on our land we get the better stands with the web seats from Menards and just leave them up all year and only remove the seat after season. I have been also using  popup blinds quite a bit lately and have shot my last 3 deer from the ground. Just stick it in a bunch of balsams and throw some branches on top and in front and the deer don't even have a clue you are there.

10/22/18 @ 5:21 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

Try double wide ladder stands. More room and feel more secure.  There is a product from HME that is a pulley used to lift hang on stands to place them. Works great. Got it at Fleet Farm. And as far as getting cold, bought an Arctic Shield body insulator suit this year, used twice and is awesome. That's where double ladder stand comes in handy, more room to manuever in suit.

10/22/18 @ 8:58 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I here you,I have gone to safety lines so I am attached to the tree from ground to tree stand.I use a climber for new spots and if it looks good I ask for help to put up a strap on.All that said in a few years I may have to go ground blind.At 63 knees are getting stiff,even though I hate to do it I may go crossbow in a few years for less movement so ground hunting would be a little easier.

10/22/18 @ 8:55 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I started using a ground blind this year so that I could take my son along.  I shot a doe from it and could have shot a buck in 2 sits from it.  At first I was very skeptical but its actually pretty nice.  As long as you have the windows to your back closed, they really can't see you inside it.  Brush it in good so they don't stare at it. I had the doe I shot 5 yards away, felt like I could reach out and touch it.

They obviously won't work everywhere, but if you have to give up a little view to be able to go yet I think they are perfectly fine.  Some places they are better than tree stands, so there is that situation too.  Where I have mine its all  pines and if I go in a tree I can see 10 yards.  From the ground I can see 75 yards since the lower branches are dead.  Broke the dead branches away for shooting lanes.  In that case its better.

I'm gaining more confidence with it each time I go now.  Don't get me wrong though, I still use tree stands as well.  Both have their place.

10/22/18 @ 12:14 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I'm 59 years young & only use aluminum climbing stands.

I tried hang on stands. But those can be very tricky to hang by yourself. I would like to use these more. Mainly because they are quiet while getting up.

Ladder stands are a great option. But hauling them to your spot can be difficult. 

I wish I could find an aluminum 20' ladder stand that doesn't cost over $150.00.

I've attempted to use ground blinds,  but just hate the limited views.

Big Mac 

10/22/18 @ 12:02 AM
deerdog
User since 11/7/03

Ladder stand maybe? I know I feel way more secure in one. Or natural ground blind?

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE