"Subsistence" Hunting

1/5/15 @ 10:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12
Is it just me or do you feel similarly that in this day and age there is really no room for "subsistence hunting" within our outdoor culture? I'm very tired of hearing these self serving game hogs ramble on about their "right" to fill their freezer to overflowing with wild game just so long as they operate within the confines of fish and game laws. My opinion is that no one has the "right" to harvest game in a way that negatively impacts local game populations and works to the detriment of other sportsmens opportunities. The fishing community has done a very good job over the years to promote a culture where harvest is limited to sustainable levels that do not impact the overall fishery. Why is it that hunters have such a difficult time embracing a bit of self-restraint to the benefit of all? Don't get me wrong. I love to eat wild game and understand one cannot hunt without the opportunity for harvest. However, our meals of fish, fowl and big game are considered bountiful treats, not selfish daily indulgences. I'm disgusted by low end game hogging pigs. Our game laws allow them to operate in a self-serving manner but we're certainly not obligated to dismiss their actions. I shun them and hope you do as well. Discuss...
Edited on 1/5/15 10:33 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 80 Posts
4/16/15 @ 9:18 PM
GUS MAX 2
GUS MAX 2
USER since 1/30/12
Don't you be worrying about those mushrooms cds.

Post Your Comment
4/16/15 @ 8:58 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I switched from Jacks to the cheaper Red Baron pizzas at Walmart. I hunt there often, especially for marked down meat.

Was driving to work today, looking at all the dead deer on the interstate that are now visible with the snow being gone. Thought to myself, if a guy picked all those up when they were fresh, you just might be able to be a subsistence roadkill hunter. Think I saw 5 or 6 today. Throw in the one that was just hit near my house and I'd have a freezer full. Tounge Out No hunting equipment needed, let others kill them for you.

Post Your Comment
4/16/15 @ 8:37 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
I like jacks to. Nothing wrong with. Throw extra cheese on and you're golden!

Post Your Comment
4/16/15 @ 6:30 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Mmmm! Subsistence Pizza. Just like the Settlers had.

Post Your Comment
4/16/15 @ 2:06 AM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10
Hey "29" your on the wrong post this isn't about pizza!!!! Wink

Post Your Comment
4/15/15 @ 1:35 PM
Chokeonthis29
Chokeonthis29
USER since 9/30/14
Yep, my freezer is full too. Just not full of JACKS pizza. Yuck, may as well spread tomato sauce on cardboard. We make our own pizzas. And they get topped with venison for sausage. Once in a while we use turkey. And ill letcha guess which "store" I go to for the turkey. LMAO

Post Your Comment
4/14/15 @ 12:04 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
I agree

Post Your Comment
4/14/15 @ 11:57 AM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10
those people that pack there freezer with all that extra game from year to year are definitely not subsistence hunters. A subsistence hunter only takes what he needs to preserve the resource. those who take more are called "slob hunters" Wink

Post Your Comment
4/14/15 @ 10:13 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Those are the people that are annoying...

Post Your Comment
4/14/15 @ 10:11 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Eating stuff in a reasonable time sure, but... Ive meet people that show me their freezer as if its a trophy room. Just pounds of meat and fish that just sit. Yet you hear, "I got this limit of whatever last year.... this turkey was a fun hunt but i gotta go out next weekend for another because there's room in here for more...whats this i should eat it because its 3 years frozen... this 10 lb bag walleye is from Canada 4 years ago... i really need to get that fish mounted one day..." blah blah blah... keep filling those freezers though....

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 80 Posts