Billy Kats
USER since 5/7/14
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
6/27/14 @ 8:11 AM
lookn' 4 PnY
lookn' 4 PnY
USER since 7/15/05

Deer patterning you is not always a bad thing. You need to know how they are adjusting to your habits and place your stands there early in the summer and not go back until it is time to hunt. Letting the deer think they have you figured out is how you stay one step ahead of them. Since this is about checking cameras, we never put cameras in places that are not established places humans already walk so attempting to be scent free is probably counter productive. Hunting season is another story.

Edited on 6/27/14 8:12 AM
Post Your Comment
6/27/14 @ 1:31 AM
mike7mm08
mike7mm08
USER since 9/19/02
As you say things vary place to place. I always thought deer would get used to things. Property I hunt had a area of thick brush we called the black hole. Not very large maybe ten acres. Go a hundred to three hundred yards in any direction there was anything a deer could need including similar batches of thick cover. Anyways if you wanted to shoot a deer all you had to do was watch the edge were the black hole meets the field just before dark. Take your pick of a dozen or more deer. Was this way for about five years.

A few years ago my brother who lives on the property had a girlfriend and her kids move in. The house is about four hundred yards from the black hole. The kids were into dirt bikes and ATVs and snowmobiles. Probable no more than a day or two passed with the kids driving similar past the black hole. They had a loop they would ride over and over that took them within about eighty yards of it.

Things did not work out so the girlfriend and kids moved out. Been three years now. We have not seen a deer or sign of deer anywhere near the black hole to this day.

I think if you have a smaller chunk of deer habitat with now other options they will habituate to routine activity. Where else are they going to go. If they have nearby option I think they more likely to move along than get used to things.

Post Your Comment
6/26/14 @ 3:15 PM
brews4995
brews4995
USER since 4/2/10
Everyone has a different opinion on what to do. I think the situation is also different from woods to woods. Cameras on field edges the deer are used to machinery being around so I don't think they mind if you drive out there in a truck, check it and leave, they are used to it.

I am in my two woods that I hunt probably 4 times a week from April until the end of hunting season. I have good atv trails and I walk and drive out there both. The trails also get mowed twice a year. I also have several food plots on both pieces. I never use cover scents when mowing, checking cameras, or working the food plots. I place my cameras in the food plots and on the roadways. I have done this for the last 5 years and I have more pictures and videos of huge bucks, does and fawns than I would have ever imagined. Im my opinion I have food that the deer want to eat and they want to be in my woods, therefore they will put up with the minor inconvenience of me being there a couple minutes a few times a week. I couldn't be happier with the amount of deer and pics I get and see each year.

I think if you do something and are consistant with it the deer very easily get used to it. It is when you start doing things differently that the deer get nervous and change their routines. With me being in the woods all the time all summer, they don't know when it goes from checking cameras to hunting time. They are just used to me being there.

Post Your Comment
6/26/14 @ 2:31 PM
browning3
browning3
USER since 5/23/02
Plan you camera setups and checks around rain. Best time to set or check a camera is before a rain shower. Washes away your scent better than any cover spray.

Post Your Comment
6/26/14 @ 12:13 PM
Billy Kats
Billy Kats
USER since 5/7/14
Very true! Wind direction is key. The less pressure you can put on your herd the better.

Post Your Comment
6/26/14 @ 1:08 AM
mike7mm08
mike7mm08
USER since 9/19/02
Play the wind and vary your entry methods and paths. Deer can be spooked when you check your camera the key is not to have them associate the camera with people. In farm country I try to keep cameras close to the field edges. Deer are not bothered by trucks or other vehicles in a field from time to time. Human scent is not uncommon either. I drive the field edges close to camera and come in down wind if I can and stay off well traveled trails and try to approach the camera from a different route each time. For cameras in the woods sometimes I will walk in sometimes ATV sometimes up wind sometimes downwind again mix it up. Deer can pattern us just like we pattern them. Keep them guessing.

Post Your Comment
6/25/14 @ 5:20 PM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09
Those products don't keep you scent free (nothing does). Gotta play the wind.

Post Your Comment