Sprinstead, Wisconsin

12/12/15 @ 11:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Bassin Oshvegas
Bassin Oshvegas
USER since 3/25/07
Does anyone on here have land around Springstead? I have a chance to buy a 40 pretty cheap and am curious how the deer numbers are? I realize there's probably a ton of wolves. Just want some opinions. Thanks!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
12/13/15 @ 4:46 PM
carpmjh
carpmjh
USER since 2/11/02
Fishing on the TFF and surrounding lakes would be the biggest draw.

Post Your Comment
12/13/15 @ 11:24 AM
Benelli 12
Benelli 12
USER since 6/19/01
Oshvegas,

My parents and brother both live in Springstead. My brother lives on 182 just past the Frontier Inn... my parents down off of Springstead Landing Rd. We have acreage at both properties, but due minimal hunting on them. We focus mainly on the public land available. I agree with Lakeshiner and hookem, deer numbers are down but we manage to scratch a few every year and most years at least 1 mature buck upwards of 150". We hunt hard and some years are better than others. The area is beautiful and layer back and relaxing. The turkey hunting is great ( I still do not know how they survive up there ) the fishing,ducks,grouse are all top notch... my dad caretaker for many landowners in the area and has a pretty good grasp of the deer and movements. There are deer on the cameras, but most of it at night. Some large bucks this year around, but we didn't score on those. Dad got a nice 2 year old 8 ptr bow season. Wolves have been a problem, and will continue to be unless something is done. Bear hunting is good to great, friends have tagged many over the years. They are constantly in the yard, on the deck, breaking bird feeders. Had a BIG BOY 450+ actually go through the garage door at my brothers to dig up the dirt floor where he boils his maple syrup, he has been nicknamed " The Bast..."...

PM me if you want some info. Let me know where in Springstead the 40 is and I might be able to give you actual info on the property.

B12

Post Your Comment
12/12/15 @ 10:27 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
Lakesiner, that is true. It is not even worth the taxes if you just use it for deer hunting. We use it for deer more than anything but have shot 4 bear since 1989 when I bought the land. We grouse hunt a bit and fish too on the river. Smallmouth is good , walleye fish in is way down hill . Northern and musky on the river are almost extinct. The channel catfishin seems to be better and still only pic up a few per year. , And sometimes we just go to walk in the woods. So, deer , bear, grouse , and fish ing cabin. I love my place but it is not worth having . Taxes are only 235 this year. If taxes were 1k or so , I would not bother. My place aint eaten no hay , but if it was Id likely sell.

Post Your Comment
12/12/15 @ 8:30 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
That's near my area (20 minutes away). We've been no doe for 6 years that I've been there, has yet to improve. I guess that really tells the story when every doe/fawn/small spike gets a pass each year and the population still tanks. Smile

I saw a lot of grouse this year though for it being a down part of the cycle. Every time out, even when looking for a Christmas tree.

I have to agree with ihookem, there is so much public land available that just having a place to stay up there gives you access to all of it. I ended up buying a couple acres and then head out to all the public around me.

You'd have the Turtle Flambeau just down the road though, so that would be a plus. If a guy does not get hung up on just deer hunting there is quite a bit of other stuff to do.

Post Your Comment
12/12/15 @ 7:52 PM
Bassin Oshvegas
Bassin Oshvegas
USER since 3/25/07
Thanks guys.. That's what I figured..

Post Your Comment
12/12/15 @ 3:58 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
Deer numbers? That is assuming numbers is a plural word Big Smile All kidding aside, this is Iron co. Last year Iron co harvested 127 bucks during gun season. That is about one buck every 7 or 8 square miles. This year they did a bit better at about 160? So, that is about one buck every 5 sq. miles. Forget deer hunting there, and Horble is right, start baiting and bing in wolves and bear along with the deer. Honeslty , I hear a lot of guys on here posting they see more bear than deer. If there is bait in from of the corn pile, you can bet the bear will be there too. If you buy it for " cheap" you will find out why the first year of deer hunting and suddenly, the 40 wasn't so cheap. I can get a 40 in Gogebic co. Mich. for 20k It is easy access and nice cedars, hemlocks all over and young Hemlocks not even touched by the deer. Been for sale for years and noone wants it.

Post Your Comment
12/12/15 @ 12:22 PM
Horble
Horble
USER since 4/11/08
I have a couple friends with land down there. Yes, there are wolves, plus bear hunting is good (and you will get a tag every 7-11 years) and duck hunting is good. Grouse numbers are coming back. Deer hunting has been sporadic at best in recent years, but there are still a couple deer around. I would be honest and say that if you intend on buying a 40 and just hunting that you will be very disappointed. Use it as home base and take advantage of the enormous amount of public land available in the area. Find the small pockets of deer and hunt them. Baiting your property will insure a good number of predators hunting the same deer in the immediate area. And, BTW, there are a lot of 'cheap' 40's around.

Post Your Comment