Spoiled Meat

1/12/15 @ 6:32 PM
ORIGINAL POST
I'm Fishing or Hunting
I'm Fishing or Hunting
USER since 1/26/08
I know someone who hit two deer this morning around 4:30a.m. with their vehicle. (Doe and a Fawn) I'm just finding out he thought he hit both of them in the head as they were sort of leaning out over the road. I had to work all day and now have to decide whether or not to pick them up. How long will a deer last without spoiling in these types of temps without gutting them or it bleeding out? Will the guts freeze, and ultimately the meat be ok to eat? If I didn't pick them up tonight, would they still possibly be good tomorrow? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, IFH
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
1/30/15 @ 7:32 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
Definitely fine yet in winter like this. I've left deer over night during bow season and if the temp was fairly cold they were good yet, minus a little spoilage on the hind quarters. Just so thick there it doesn't cool as quickly. In the early bow season when its warm they can be shot if waiting that long though, but now is fine.

Post Your Comment
1/29/15 @ 2:17 PM
NiteMite
NiteMite
USER since 9/16/01
You'll be good to go. Just look at those goofs on TV who eat a moose that's been dead for months. Just cook it long enough and it'll be edible. Puke

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 8:57 PM
Horble
Horble
USER since 4/11/08
Absolutely! Good to go.

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 6:58 PM
I'm Fishing or Hunting
I'm Fishing or Hunting
USER since 1/26/08
Thanks Coolhawg!