Some people!!!!!

2/2/15 @ 11:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
kmdeerhunter
kmdeerhunter
USER since 11/5/14
I have permission to hunt two private parcels, one being 30 acres and the other being 15. We are the only ones that have permission, given written permission from land owners to charge people with trespassing, and authorized to post the land private, but some trespassers are relentless. During the fall we went out to put up a new stand we noticed there is a tree stand placed on the property line of a bordering private 13 acres that adjoins ( in this case lets just say our land to make it easier). So we place a note on the tree stating to call us regarding the tree stand. He calls two hours later and says whats wrong with it its not on your land. I said no, but it faces our land. He replies well im not hunting your land, just the land i Have permission for, once again I stated its faces our land and your markers to get to it are across ours as well. His reply well then who owns it, in which I replied you can find out for yourself just like i did, and he hangs up. Now we only hunt it after opening weekend in the evenings. after opening weekend my mom says the guys has been hunting it all opening weekend. So Monday evening we go sit for the evening. At 3 o'clock we see a truck slow down real slow, In which he can see me from the road sitting about 50 yards from the stand facing the "correct way". He drives off and we never see anyone use the stand the rest of the week. Closing night my father comes in from the other side to hunt a dry hill in the swamp and notices two tress stands on our land and one on the private property about 30 yards from our land. And the tracks come all the way through our land from the property that he has permission to hunt. So last week I go to see if the two stand are still there and they are. So I proceed to remove then, in which the stands has the same name and number of the guy we talked to in the first place in the fall. I call him and said two of your stands have been removed that were on our land and why do you keep trespassing through our land to get to your stand that is OK, it doesn't make any sense when you can just access from the land you have permission to hunt, why trespass? he hangs up. I look his address up and he lives 1/2 mile away and is a respected fishing and hunting writer for the local area, LOL! By the way all of our no trespassing signs keep getting removed days after we replace them. SOME PEOPLE!!!!!!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
2/16/15 @ 6:25 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Years back we had a guy who kept putting stands in the same tree, my father must have taken 10 of them over the coarse of 5 yrs. he had enough one day and cut the tree down. Never had a problem after that. Kinda funny cuz their was at least 15 other trees in the area but for some odd reason the guy really liked that one tree.

Post Your Comment
2/13/15 @ 1:00 PM
goju
goju
USER since 12/30/10
Contact the publications he is writing for and ask them if they are aware he is violating trespass laws. Reputable publications want nothing to do with law breakers, it makes hem look bad also.

When making this contact it is very important to remember to sate only facts. If you state an opinion,make it very clear that it is your opinion. Truth is an absolute defense against libel and slander suits.

If nothing else you will get his attention is a way he will have to acknowledge.

Post Your Comment
2/6/15 @ 4:05 PM
fishy
fishy
USER since 1/12/02
good point lazyfisher- sometimes the landowner says enough is enough and its easier to just say no. I have had that happen, but if it was me I would alk to the landowner and get his blessing before getting the law involved-and if he says no- deal with it another way. If you used an enclosed stand-you could put orange in the window-it would be a risk for them to walk in on it and they would think your hunting it opening weekend..

Post Your Comment
2/3/15 @ 7:18 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
Another route is to "out" the person. If he truly is respected in the community this may speak louder to him than a small fine, or at least threaten to do so. Just remember, it is not your land, and if this becomes a pain for the owner, you could lose your privileges.

Post Your Comment
2/3/15 @ 4:27 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I agree with keeping the stands if they are on "your" property. Hit him in the pocketbook. When my pops had the old hunting land near Rice Lake, we commonly found trespasser's stands on the land. We lived on the opposite side of the state and the locals knew it. Some groups used our parcel like it was public despite the posted signs. I'd go over a weekend or two after the bow opener, two weekends before the gun opener and once more during late season and collect stands that I found. I'd bring them back home and list them in the paper (this was before the inter web so the paper was the way to sell things boys and girls). Made some good jing.

I wish that I would have kept some as pops sold the property for his retirement lake home and I bought some hunting property of my own. Who knows, maybe I'll find some stands in the upcoming years. Shouldn't be long before the locals figure out that I don't live close by. Cool

Edited on 2/3/15 7:13 PM
Post Your Comment
2/3/15 @ 3:54 PM
fishy
fishy
USER since 1/12/02
This shouldn't be that big of a problem-document-and call the sheriff. They have to enforce the law if you call them. Sometimes they like to do warnings, but if you or the landowner insist-they will right a ticket. Second tickets goes up and so on>>>> and have them confiscate the stand. This is what I would do.

Post Your Comment