Public vs Private Antlerless tags

4/16/14 @ 8:25 AM
ORIGINAL POST
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
I attended the spring meetings in Marathon county this year and listened to the biologist present on antlerless goals and tag issuance for this year. This is the first year that there will be public and private antlerless tags. What surprised me was that in Marathon county, 15% of the antlerless tags were set aside for public land. The biologist explained that 12% of the land in the county is public, so 15% of the tags were set aside for this group. I thought the idea was to increase antlerless pressure on private land, but setting aside MORE tags for public would have the opposite effect. I then called the biologist for Portage County (where I own a farm) and asked her the same question. She said she looked at public vs private land harvest in the last 5 years. 7% of antlerless deer were historically killed on public land, so they set aside 15% of the tags for public. THIS IS EVEN WORSE! I own private land in these counties and we don't have a deer shortage on the land we own. I am afraid that with this type of tag issuance we will have too many deer shot off public land, and not enough on private. The Portage county biologist said they did this to make sure that public land hunters get a chance at an antlerless tag- this amazed me.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 155 Posts
6/29/14 @ 3:16 PM
boneshredder
boneshredder
USER since 8/16/11
Who needs a tag shoot um all

Post Your Comment
6/29/14 @ 2:15 PM
Limit Five
Limit Five
USER since 6/9/03
So my property is located in what is now called Central forest. Buck only. I called and asked about bow and my antlerless tag will only be good in farmland, even though I own land. So basically I will not be able to take a doe. I am trying to be positive about this. I think the DNR total estimates may have just been a little out of wack for some time now by having sooo many doe tags for my area available. I wonder how this is going to play out for those few public spots in central farmland.

Post Your Comment
6/28/14 @ 1:30 PM
J.R.8
J.R.8
USER since 4/6/13
Boner I don't worry because guys like you karma eventually catches up.

Post Your Comment
6/28/14 @ 11:12 AM
boneshredder
boneshredder
USER since 8/16/11
Hahahahahaha

Post Your Comment
6/27/14 @ 5:42 PM
boneshredder
boneshredder
USER since 8/16/11
Takes a quality guy to shoot all them deer to fill my freezers

Post Your Comment
6/27/14 @ 9:05 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
Boner is a quality guy.

Post Your Comment
6/26/14 @ 2:52 PM
Summers Off
Summers Off
USER since 5/9/06
Have a good day "boner"!

Post Your Comment
6/26/14 @ 2:42 PM
boneshredder
boneshredder
USER since 8/16/11
This just put a smile on my face thank you for that ladies Smile

Post Your Comment
6/23/14 @ 1:37 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02
I think he's on a fishing expadition and he seems to be catching quite a few.

Edited on 6/23/14 1:39 PM
Post Your Comment
6/23/14 @ 1:23 PM
J.R.8
J.R.8
USER since 4/6/13
Boneshreder your not getting a rise out of anyone...you just look like a moron.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 155 Posts