Plumb creek lands now Meteor owned,Adams and Wood County

9/5/14 @ 12:27 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Cambridge
Cambridge
USER since 3/21/14
Just noticed the other day all previously Plumb Creek paper land in norther Adams, southern Wood county is now owned by Meteor Timber. (found this on Adams Counties land maps on their County web site) Anyone know more about this? Will this affect access during hunting seasons?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
10/21/14 @ 1:39 PM
swamp people
swamp people
USER since 5/14/12
There are a boat load of deer in 53 Juneau county on public land however there are almost impossible to hunt, because of the high amount of human traffic in the woods, these woods get pounded by the Juneau/wood county line. Dove, squirrel, bear, coyote wolf, bow, grouse, mushroom hunters etc. They spook at the slightest thing that is out of place, however its public land and thats what its for. By the time gun season rolls around, the deer are nocturnal, and general only go out into the fields after sun down, and thats when the road hunting starts. Only time I hunt 53 public is bow season and even then its the hard as he'll.

Post Your Comment
10/21/14 @ 12:46 PM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10
Igor I don't attack any one persons post. I have been hunting that area for 35 years. There was a time you would sit and watch 20 to 30 does walk by during gun season and never see a antler. I've see the "good" "bad" and the "ugly" I was stating a general point. Back in the late 70's every body hunted Adams county in the late 80's the DNR took advantage of that and sold unlimited tags at $ 12.00 a piece and people shot the sh*#% out of the deer. Its those same people now that are saying theres no deer because they are planting corn? now lets See!!! Iowa has one of the best deer herds in the upper Midwest its about 70% corn. A little closer look get below say Green county more corn then woods, Deer population booming. I was just saying getting rid of some of these huge parcels of nothing but rows of timber will eventually help the herd. definitely help getting more Quality bucks Wink

Post Your Comment
10/21/14 @ 11:50 AM
Igor
Igor
USER since 6/20/01
Pike Eyes: I do sincerely hope your statement about blame was not aimed at me.

If it was, you don't have the first clue about how I hunt or the people I hunt with. There is just not much decent public land to hunt in that area. PERIOD.

You mention private land, obviously you own some or access to some. I do not, although I do now own property for next season. But I will tell you not all private owners hunted responsibly. I know of 2 farmers, won't mention names here, that performed a wholesale slaughter of deer on their land. Saw it fristhand, this isn't "bar talk".

Saw LOTS of unethical acts including pushing public land towards thiers the Friday before opener at about 4:30 in the afternoon.

Post Your Comment
10/20/14 @ 12:28 PM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10
It amazes me how people want to blame what ever they can on there not being any deer!!!. But never want to look at the hunter himself who for the last almost 10 years bought tag after tag after tag to shoot as many deer as they could. Then wonder why there are no deer on public land. The private people hunted responsibly and the private lands in Adams county[53> are full of deer. I can go out on any given night and see or shoot deer. Might start to see more Quality bucks with the food/cover Wink

Post Your Comment
10/7/14 @ 2:28 PM
Igor
Igor
USER since 6/20/01
Reason #493 why after 35 seasons of hunting Area 53 in Monroe Center, WI I am done after this year. Little/no deer left, no public land of any substance to hunt (75-80% of the public is pine plantations) and property values not worth it.

Going to be hard to leave 35 years of memories behind, but my son starts hunting next year and I want him to at least see a deer!

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 4:46 PM
unit53
unit53
USER since 12/13/12
Just 120 acres of 500+ I have seen just this year turned into farmland. Not including the other 1500 acres that is getting leveled for a golf course.

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 1:32 PM
swamp people
swamp people
USER since 5/14/12
Here is how to plant corn in a forest. Sell it to a farming company. Cut off all the tops ,cut off at the trunk, remove timber and sell for profit, bull doze all tops into a pile, bull doze out all stumps, pile up stumps, make mulch out of everything but the stumps, sell the mulch, burn the stumps, chisel plow sand multiple times until clean and level, plant wind breaks, fertilize, install watering system, plant corn. I did your home work.

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 12:33 PM
Cambridge
Cambridge
USER since 3/21/14
Here is a article about just this issue. Wooded lands being cleared for corn! No mention what it does to the water table or polution runoff. Terrible news.

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.com/story/news/local/2014/10/05/lt-governor-candidate-tours-learn-cafo-concerns/16784013/

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 7:43 AM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
There have been some wooded parcels in Adams county that have been sold, removed from MFL, cleared, and turned into irrigated cropland in the past 5 years. I have appraised some of them. However, relative to the number of acres that Plum Creek owned, it has been fairly small. Maybe not to people who hunted right in those areas, but county wide- it is pretty small. The lands that were cleared were all young pine plantations, which many people complain about as being devoid of deer.

Post Your Comment
10/5/14 @ 5:50 PM
swamp people
swamp people
USER since 5/14/12
most lands owned by plum creek were sold, most sold so far have been completely leveled so corn can be planted, they need the feed for the dairy farm off of 22nd street with anther dairy farm in the works in wood county..so far approx 5000 acres have been leveled and cleared for feed..there are 3 main farms buying the land, and removing all trees, etc wesocki, okray and b and d..

Edited on 10/5/14 6:17 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts