SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

October lull

10/7/18 @ 12:56 PM
INITIAL POST
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
Old folklore.  No such thing.  If your not seeing deer.  Your in the wrong spot.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
1/31/19 @ 4:08 PM
FULL DRAW
FULL DRAW
User since 1/8/02

The famous October Lull is nothing more than the result of pressured deer. I routinely get mid day pictures of 4 yr old bucks and older during the October Lull on properties we don’t hunt until the rut. 

10/24/18 @ 7:56 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

JC Nailed it,good post and so true about the maple leaves falling up here.

10/23/18 @ 10:16 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I can't say I disagree with JC,  I think he had good points.  the reality is the deer are transitioning to different food and once the bucks shed that velvet their only goal is to live and breed.  

Onc can speculate all they want but the reality is it's a change in patterns and depending on the amount of pressure will determine how good or bad it may be for you.  

I know a guy that didn't hunt all year yet,  first night was sunday and he saw 15 deer,  4 good bucks,  no shots.  Deer were moving great around him but that probably had a lot to do with no stepping foot on that ground since april.  

I personally hate the term "october lull".  If you are seeing a lull do something different.  We had this conversation already.  the guys hunting 40 acres that been hunting for 5 weeks now,  i'd expect that its slow for you,  that shouldn't be a news flash.  

Right now the deer are on corn big time.  I know there is a ton of fields up yet,  that's the issue for many. Once the corn comes down sightings should go up.  It's wet,  I suspect many fields will be up through gun season this year.  HOPEFULLY.  LOL

10/23/18 @ 9:21 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"I disagree JC. It all depends on where you set up. If your not seeing bucks. Your in the wrong spot. Fields and field edges are not where you want to be. That is a big reason why people don't see deer during the "lull"."

Obvious people may be in the wrong spot if deer sightings are slow.  However, I have found there is a lot going on in mid-October that decreases your odds.  I don't care if it is a field edge or in the woods.  You can set up anywhere, but if the bucks are not moving during daylight you are not going to be successful.  You can negate this a bit by encroaching on bedding areas, but you are further pressuring animals to move at night....exacerbating the problem.

Some bucks that have been patterned start dispersing, and this is unpredictable...may end up miles away.  I have found most bucks simply don't move as much during daylight, and don't move as far since there is an abundance of food...freshly fallen maple leaves at their feet, piles of acorns, thousands of acres of corn to hide and feed in, etc.  As a result, more night time activity occurs, and movement becomes more unpredictable making it harder to pattern and see bucks.  To me, I define that as a lull for hunting. 

Why is it that most people kill the most bucks the first week of season and during the rut?  Simple, they are patterened, dumb, and move during daylight early in the season.  Late in the season, they are dumb, move more during daylight, and move more.  I am just speaking from my decades of bowhunting that there is a reason people kill more bucks early and late in the season, and I call this the October lull.

10/20/18 @ 12:18 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Sure you can shoot a buck in mid october I have shot a few in the 45 years that  i have bow hunted.I only bowhunt now before and after a coldfront in mid October.Lots of things to do in october,bird hunting,fishing,duck hunting.

10/19/18 @ 8:01 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

I disagree JC.  It all depends on where you set up.   If your not seeing bucks.  Your in the wrong spot.  Fields and field edges are not where you want to be.  That is a big reason why people don't see deer during the "lull".

10/18/18 @ 12:51 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
Sorry, there is a lull.  Bucks naturally change behavior shortly after the velvet goes off and become more nocturnal naturally.  As also has been mentioned, several factors also are going on (yes, some of this has to do with hunting pressure but not all of it).  Leaves dropping is a big change as deer know they are making noise when they walk, and they aren't as hidden as before the leaf drop.  Another thing that I believe is often overlooked is deer eat freshly fallen maple leaves to a large degree.  With that much food laying on the ground throughout the woods, deer simply don't have to move as much.  Watching fields bordering land where it isn't hunted at all will show you that less deer activity is occurring this time of the year.  If you aren't seeing a lull, you are either lying or simply a better hunter than the other 99% of us.
10/15/18 @ 8:47 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

There are tons of reasons for the "lull"

1. deer now know it's hunting season in many areas

2. food sources change

3. weather can be bad, and i agree warm days with winter coats forming mean less movement

like clockwork, early-mid october is tough hunting for me most years.  

10/14/18 @ 10:09 AM
doohop65
User since 2/23/10

Sure there is a lull. Especially in public land because of all the morons. 

Take  Friday night for me for example. Get into the woods early at 2 and all set up before 230 on a small piece of public with a significant walk.

Listen to morons come into this small piece from 330 until finally at 5 see a brain surgeon walking around at 515. Decide my night is over and climb down.

October lull started on this parcel. Morons crowding spots will do that to the deer.  

10/14/18 @ 9:45 AM
Whitetailfever29
User since 11/20/12
In October deer are starting to put fat on and growing their winter coats. Typically October averages 70 degrees so moving during the day I'm sure is a bit uncomfortable. No different than us walking to our treestand with our warmer hunting clothes on, so I think they like the coolness of dark thus more pics at night. November is usually much cooler and with the rut also deer are more likely to move during the day. Years past I've also noticed a decline in sightings during the day but always had pics at night. This year had been different with the much cooler temps. My cameras have pics of deer, including nice bucks, moving at all hours of day. I've been seeing many more deer from stand also. Just yesterday I saw 5 bucks and 6 does
10/13/18 @ 4:14 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

No lull unless you create it. Hunting pressure and changing patterns which hunters fail to adapt to are the usual culprits.

Saw 6 bucks last night. My kind of lull!!

10/13/18 @ 1:49 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

I agree with you on this ihookem.  Taking it a step further, I believe it takes a week or so for deer to get used to walking in those noisy leaves, exaggerated by some hunting pressure.

10/13/18 @ 11:23 AM
rubline
User since 10/17/04

I think it is because a lot people hunt the same spots they seen deer the first few weekends,but pressure has sent them back deeper the woods.Got to change it up a bit.Alot of my best sits are the first time in a area.

10/13/18 @ 11:07 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

And then again, I always wondered if it was the leaves all gone by Oct. 5th to the 10th or so . I always thought the deer saw their woods as " strange " when the leaves were gone after having them to use to hide all summer. No?

10/8/18 @ 7:30 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

I have to disagree river chaser.  There is no lull.  People stop seeing deer for many reason and they have been mentioned down below.  It has nothing to do with brain chemistry or rut behavior.  Most people hunt the same few stands and the same land every weekend.  A few weeks have gone by since the opener and deer have caught on.  Add food source changes as well and you'll get some non active time on stand. There is no mystical lull. All myth.  People need to learn to adapt and learn to follow the deer and they will be on them all year long.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE