Necedah Wildlife Refuge

10/10/15 @ 7:21 PM
ORIGINAL POST
thirsty2
thirsty2
USER since 10/8/09
Can anyone tell me about the Necedah Wildlife Refuge on what to expect? Lot of hunters, deer population etc. Does a hunter need a permit for this area? My Son who is in the Military and I looking for a place to hunt this year. Any info will help. Thanks Thirsty
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
10/14/15 @ 2:29 PM
swamp people
swamp people
USER since 5/14/12
Wilderness inn is in Sprague on highway 80 near 12th st. As far as the decline in deer, I have to agree, 15 years ago, it was loaded with deer, more land than hunters, over harvest and wolves seem to be the problem. Being a u.s.refuge, there is no harvesting coyote or wolf. Its a beautiful place, to many predators and it effected the deer and turkey population. I very rarely spend anytime hunting there anymore. However atving and snowmobiling is fun. But you never know all you need to see is one buck, and you could be done. Good luck. May your bullets fly straight. ..swamper. .

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 1:47 PM
bueller
bueller
USER since 1/4/03
thirsty, if u don't have that doe tag already u won't get one. they r long gone.

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 10:38 AM
Malleye
Malleye
USER since 10/4/10
Sarge,

I am not surprised you were the first to post about my comments. I told Thirsty to expect butterflies and oaks. This is what the refuge is being managed for. There's a lot of nice looking hunting areas on google earth. You may be Ol Sarge, but you must not be old enough to remember when the refuge actually held deer and the sky was black with geese. Now, it's a nice peaceful place to get out to the woods and not really have to worry about the work involved with cleaning game. Once again, the refuge has been hijacked by environmentalists who have no use for hunting and the official management strategy has moved away from game species. I have property a couple miles from the refuge and the deer hunting thing doesn't really bother me. I shot my first buck in the refuge many years ago and it was really fun to hunt it back then. What bothers me is that the Necedah refuge was originally a waterfowl refuge and was managed as such. I'm not sure they even have a waterfowl count there anymore. Last I knew, they were begging Ted Turner for money. I saw him there one day in 2004. I might be negative, but I have every right to be when Pittman Robertson Act dollars pay for 75% of the projects and the people that fund PR don't get to take advantage of what could be a great place to hunt.

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 9:44 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
Malleye,

why so negitive if you dont hunt there? Necedah is a huge place with lots of area to hunt. Take a look at google earth and you can see prime hunting areas. Now you are not going to sit and have deer walk out and beg to be shot, but there are nice bucks and anyone who puts some time into doing a little prep has a better than average chance at harvesting a deer. Just look at the area from 9th St up to Hwy 173 (Goose Pool north wards). Please dont be so negitive when people are looking for advise. This is one of the things that I dislike about this site.

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 6:28 AM
Malleye
Malleye
USER since 10/4/10
The reality is that the refuge has been overtaken by environmentalists bent on some nostalgic view of biodiversity that probably never existed there anyway. The area used to be managed for game species including waterfowl. The direction of the refuge has been officially changed according to the management group. Now it's cranes, butterflies, wolves and oak savannah. There is relatively little left for the sportsman to enjoy other than space to go and not be trespassing. There may be some changes in the deer population due to the restrictions on antlerless permits. Without direct management of food sources to support a higher population, odds are that the gains will be marginal. It really is a tragedy the way the refuge has been "stolen" from the people who built it and continue to fund it. It would be nice to get it back for those people who do not have access to private hunting opportunities. The feds are in charge of it and are listening to a different group that does not have the same goals as most hunters. Thankfully, I don't hunt there.

Post Your Comment
10/12/15 @ 6:09 PM
thirsty2
thirsty2
USER since 10/8/09
Thanks Swamp People! We will definitely get that doe tag and give it a whirl. Where is that Wilderness Inn for the Grub? Thanks Thirsty

Post Your Comment
10/11/15 @ 8:17 AM
swamp people
swamp people
USER since 5/14/12
the only permit you need is your doe for that are juneau county/forest. you will see trucks every 50 yards on the main roads especially on the weekends.deer population was dwindling, how ever with the new doe rules etc, in place it should change.you can not shoot coyotes there,bears and wolves are present as well. this place is huge, plenty of room for everyone, stop at wilderness inn for grub and refreshments, run by nice people. good luck.

Post Your Comment