Mountain bike trails on hunting land

1/3/16 @ 11:32 AM
ORIGINAL POST
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
Anyone ever build mountain bike trails on their hunting woods? My land has topography that would make for some really fun trails. My concern is the negative effect it could have on deer hunting. I'm in farm land so human interference isn't as big of a concern as big woods, but I'm still thinking it would push bigger deer off the land. Do you think laying off riding later in the summer would help or is it just not a good idea in general. For what I pay in taxes I would like to get as much use as possible from the land, and it would be a fun hobby with the kids, but deer hunting is the number 1 priority with the land.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
4/3/16 @ 5:41 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER since 12/19/10
We ride atv's at Dyracuse ATV park south of Wisconsin Rapids which consists of a bunch of trails that wind through the woods. All the trails are full of deer tracks. If they can put up with that I don't think pedal bikes would have a major negative impact.

Post Your Comment
2/20/16 @ 9:45 AM
Carp King
Carp King
USER since 8/7/01
If you cut some singletrack the deer will use it too.

Post Your Comment
1/25/16 @ 1:21 AM
Outdoorsman65x
Outdoorsman65x
USER since 1/24/16
I don't think it will bother the deer too much. Around my way there's large 4 foot wide beaten down dirt paths all through the woods. Still lots and lots of deer around.

Post Your Comment
1/24/16 @ 11:57 AM
John.Rennpferd
John.Rennpferd
USER since 6/3/10
I use to mountain bike a lot in SE WI; the deer get use to it, same as they get use to the golfers in the parks. If you are riding a typical pattern, I think the deer will just get use to you, and start ignoring you as you peddle through. Like the other guys said, stop before hunting season; not because it would spook deer, but to prevent some moron trespassing on your land from launching an arrow into you.

Post Your Comment
1/13/16 @ 9:54 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02
The land owner who lets me hunt his pasture jogs around it 5+ times a week except days I am hunting. Doesn't seem to matter to the deer. He is not usually jogging at prime hunting times though too. Same for cutting wood and other chores around the property.

Post Your Comment
1/7/16 @ 9:49 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
Cold front I agree as far as the rut,heck I have had PY bucks walk through my back yard during the rut in the middle of the day.They looked punch drunk,you just can't count on that though.Then you have the early bow season,I am almost 50 50 between the first week of bow season and the rut as far as my largest bucks.I do think if you have some heavy cover that you do not go in at all,you May be able to get away with some activity.

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 7:51 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
If the does hang out there, the Bucks will be there in the rut. Go for it until late August.. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 12:05 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
If they are bothered they will leave the area if at all possible.It is reallie simple if they are in an area that they can not get away from human intrusion they have to live with it.But if you are in an area that they have other options they will leave.

Post Your Comment
1/5/16 @ 11:01 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
That would be my plan, to shut it down in the end of August.

Post Your Comment
1/5/16 @ 10:43 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
Agree with the others. Shut down a few weeks prior to the season and you should be fine. When I lived in the twin cities, I mountain biked through some big buck country. At the time, I did not bowhunt very seriously and even during the rut, they did not care I was there. Saw some pretty cool fights and got very close.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts