SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Moss on Food Plots

7/11/18 @ 12:14 PM
INITIAL POST
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I have a couple of food plots cut into the woods in Oneida County, which have done pretty well for several years. I’ve experimented with different seeds but have done the best with clover. The last year or two, I have been noticing an excessive amount of moss covering the plots.

Given the location, sunlight is definitely an issue, and the soil is on the acidic side. 

Has anyone else had this experience? Thoughts or advice?

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
7/16/18 @ 2:50 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Pellet lime will,  it's more of a rapid release than ag lime.  throw it down on the snow and let the spring melt do it's thing.

Cut a couple trees,  get some light in there.  you'll help the plot and the woods more than you'd imagine.  More light,  more under growth,  get it nice and thick around the plots plus clover will be at it's best if you can get it at least 50% sun.  I'd drop a couple trees and leave the tops,  don't clean it up.

7/13/18 @ 11:47 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Yeah it seems like overkill for how much lime they suggest throwing down. Last year I grabbed a couple bags thinking it would be plenty but it was no where near the recommended amount after I did the soil test based on the size of the area.

I'm told it doesn't affect the pH until the following year either.

7/12/18 @ 9:38 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Kvan,

Thanks. That is what I suspected. I’ve spread lime a few times but could probably double or triple what I have been doing. 

7/12/18 @ 8:26 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Most likely because of the acidity of the soil. Forest foliage really acidifies the soil which moss love. Throw some lime down and it should help. I had/have this issue with a portion of my lawn that doesn't get much sunlight but gets plenty of water. The lime didn't fix it in one year, but I can tell a difference this year.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE