Looking for Farmland to hunt on in Kane County

12/22/15 @ 4:15 PM
ORIGINAL POST
JKenny
JKenny
USER since 6/25/10
Hey guys I am new to this hunting thing and I am looking to secure some farm land next season in Kane County so that I can take my 11 year old son out geese hunting on. We have no problem with cleaning up after ourselves nor do we have any issues with helping you out with mending fences, or any work needed around the farm to pay our respect to you in allowing us out on your land. If you are open to the idea of allowing hunters on your property, please PM and we can discuss this the details. I appreciate you taking time to read this and Merry Christmas.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
12/25/15 @ 4:38 PM
Del Roy
Del Roy
USER since 2/17/14
I agree with the others who state that Kane County will be a tough nut to crack in securing land to hunt, especially if you are expecting to do so without shelling out some cash. I expect most landowners who have huntable land that is used by geese have already been hammered for years with inquiries from other hunters and guides alike seeking to secure their land. Not to completely discourage you from trying, just don't get your hopes too high. I would recommend a guide, especially if you are somewhat new to the game. Fox Valley Guide Service is one to check out, it will cost you but there is a high likelihood that you both will shoot birds. Good luck.

Post Your Comment
12/22/15 @ 5:07 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
Good Luck!!! Kane County is in extremely high demand. Like another poster stated, you will probably be better off trying a few counties farther west from the suburbs.

Post Your Comment
12/22/15 @ 4:50 PM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
I'd also look at a county further west for better results. McHenry for one.

Post Your Comment
12/22/15 @ 4:48 PM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
First off there are likely very few landowners looking here to offer you the opportunity to hunt their land. Generally if a landowner is on a hunting website, they hunt it themselves. In which case here's what you need to do....

Go to the county courthouse and get yourself a plat book or download a landowner map app like "OnXMaps".

Right now while the weather is mild and geese are still around in big numbers, go look for properties they are on. They may or not be there next year but they'll likely be somewhere close. Also find roosts, not to hunt but to know where concentrations of geese are so next fall you can find a central location where they come and go from.

Make some contacts with landowners now and into the spring. Offer your help if it's likely they'll let you hunt. Don't bother them during planting time. Considering the location to a large population if you wait until summer to make contacts, you'll likely be making contacts for the 2017 season. Be prepared to be rejected about 30 times to one who might let you hunt. You're looking into a high pressure area and contacts and relationships will need to be made well in advance of the season starting.

You're other options and likely easier are to hire a guide or make some friends who already have access. Do not ever go back on your own to private land that someone else took you to unless the person who took you is agreeable to it. Nothing would get you cut out of my loop than to return to a place I took you to originally. Frankly if you're just starting out, you'll be far better off going with someone experienced than to go try to learn it on your own. You're looking into a high pressure area with pressured birds that won't cooperate nicely with a novice. Learn how and get some success before you beat yourself senseless trying to wing it on your own.

I'm not sure about IL but WI has a learn to hunt program where you and you kid would take a one day class and then follow it with a hunt with an experienced volunteer.

I'd also highly recommend an afternoon with a shooting instructor if you or your kid don't have much shooting experience. It's easier to learn how to shoot the right way right off the bat than to develop bad habits.

OnXMaps

12/22/15 @ 4:33 PM
FLAN
FLAN
USER since 2/21/06
What state is Kane county in?

Post Your Comment
12/22/15 @ 4:31 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
Where is Kane County? At first I thought typo but then I see it listed more then once.

Post Your Comment