Lets talk about a harness

10/13/14 @ 6:47 PM
ORIGINAL POST
esoxtomtom
esoxtomtom
USER since 4/24/08
Which is best and comfortable,Im sick of using that cheap one that comes with the tree stand, safety vest or harness?
Edited on 10/13/14 6:49 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
10/14/14 @ 5:29 PM
jchunter76
jchunter76
USER since 12/12/10
Check out the Muddy harness. I was going back in forth on which one to get myself. I just ordered the Muddy one a couple days ago. I haven't used it yet, but the reviews are good. It's light weight at 1.9 pounds and supposed to be tangle free. I found a good price online. Check them out and compare them with other one's that peek your interest.

Post Your Comment
10/14/14 @ 5:25 PM
sniper
sniper
USER since 10/17/01
This is the first year for me too with the life line, and I had the same question. When setting your stand and putting the life line up for the first time, use your lineman's strap. The life line is attached (wraps around through a loop) to the tree above your stand and ties off near the ground. This keeps some tension on the line while sliding the knot up while climbing. I tie the bottom off on my first ladder stick. It's super easy to go up and down with out ever disconnecting. If you go on the HSS website, I think there's a video on how to use them.

Edited on 10/14/14 5:28 PM
Post Your Comment
10/14/14 @ 2:46 PM
jch84
jch84
USER since 8/4/08
I've never used the life line, when and to what do you connect it to near your stand? I'm assuming to get up there to attach to something, you'll still be disconnected during that time, unless I'm missing something.

Post Your Comment
10/14/14 @ 2:30 PM
sniper
sniper
USER since 10/17/01
I felt I should add my two cents based on experience. Make sure you use a climbing belt like jch mentioned when setting stands etc. My Hunter Safety Systems vest came with one. I now use one to set stands and then use a HSS life line when hunting. Please be attached from the ground up. The life lines with the prussig(?) knot work slick. Previous to last year, I always just clipped the strap from my vest onto a carabinier on a tree strap above my stand. Last year while moving a stand (not hunting), I learned the hard way. To make a long story short, I ended up in intensive care for a couple nights with broken ribs in my back and a collapsed lung. Coughing up blood wasn't pleasant, but I consider myself extremely lucky. I came down from 18-20 feet and landed flat on my back. The HSS vests are unnoticeable under your outer layers and very comfortable. I'm sure every brand is. Statistically, 30-50 percent of hunters will fall if they hunt regularly out of a tree stand. From what I've read, 70% of those are climbing, getting in, or out of the stand. Again, attach yourself on the ground.

Post Your Comment
10/14/14 @ 10:04 AM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
I have an older HSS vest... my only complaint is the seat belt style buckles which I think they have upgraded by now. I also wear mine under my outer jacket and inside my warm bibs. That way I can put it on when I dress at my vehicle and not have to wrestle it on and clang buckles in the woods..and I can slip on my bibs and jacket over it.

Post Your Comment
10/14/14 @ 9:25 AM
jch84
jch84
USER since 8/4/08
I've read alot on archerytalk about people using rock climbing harnesses. It seems like a good idea, but I just don't feel like learning how to use it properly and buying the stuff. I just make the free ones work.

Best purchase I've made to complement the free harnesses is a climbers belt from HSS. Two carabiners on the ends quickly snap onto the hip loops on all 4 point harnesses, and make setting up stands a breeze. I practice setting up all my stands with one climbing stick in the backyard so I don't have any surprises in the woods.

Edited on 10/14/14 9:25 AM
Post Your Comment
10/13/14 @ 7:58 PM
daleracefan
daleracefan
MEMBER since 3/27/02
i had quite a few over the years than 2 years ago i bought a hunter safety system. THE BEST EVER!!! period.

Post Your Comment
10/13/14 @ 6:53 PM
Edward Felcohands
Edward Felcohands
USER since 2/24/09
go to a store that has a few out that you can play with, that way you can fiddle with them and find a system that will work for you. i checked out some that others had recommended on here and they really didn't work well for the way I do things, but as much as I hate going to cabelas I went there and was able to try on a few and found one the one that I have now.

Post Your Comment