I need some help with understanding the deer tags

9/9/15 @ 9:01 AM
ORIGINAL POST
FISH-EM
FISH-EM
USER since 5/12/09
so with the bow license you obviously have the buck deer tag and the other one is the Res farmland antlerless deer carcass tag I assume that is the doe tag. Also do you have to use one first or does it matter. Sorry new to the hunting don't know.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts
9/22/15 @ 7:27 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
"Jc, there are both public and private tags available in all of the counties I would hunt. Outagamie, Winnebago, waushara, shawano, and Waupaca counties. There is no shortage of deer in any of these counties which makes this that much sillier."

It may be silly to you now, but having the private and public tags gives the managers another tool should be public land be decimated like most other counties in the state. Most hunters agree that this is a long overdue and welcome change to the regulations. In most areas, public hunting land has been literally devoid of deer for many years. If there are public land tags available, $12 is not much to spend on an antlerless tag.

Post Your Comment
9/21/15 @ 6:22 PM
doohop65
doohop65
USER since 2/23/10
Jc, there are both public and private tags available in all of the counties I would hunt. Outagamie, Winnebago, waushara, shawano, and Waupaca counties. There is no shortage of deer in any of these counties which makes this that much sillier.

Out of curiosity how many of you folks have access to private land or hunt exclusively public like I do? Perhaps I shouldn't care because in the next 5-7 years I will purchase my own land. The thing to remember is whether we agree on all of this it's important to speak up for your hunting rights. There are a lot of folks who would like to see it all go away.

Post Your Comment
9/21/15 @ 5:09 PM
chuckc
chuckc
USER since 3/21/14
You make the assumption that deer numbers are low. . everywhere.

That is not even close to true.

I have the training (school) and the experience to make a good decision on what to "harvest". For the time being I am having almost no impact on the herd and am very happy with my choices. CHuckC

Post Your Comment
9/21/15 @ 2:37 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01
What short memories we have. I remember the late 2000's when year after year of Earn-A-Buck, EAB watch units, and nearly unlimited antlerless tags statewide really did a number on the deer population. At that time nearly every hunter was bemoaning the deer population and the abundance of tags everywhere despite many people experiencing terrible hunts in areas that were once abundant with deer. With some legislative change and nudging, the DNR started to listen. The new system, while not perfect, is a great step in the right direction by allocating antlerless tags better and charging for them.

Would you rather see nothing or next to nothing everywhere you hunt yet have a pocket full of free antlerless tags you can't fill or know that it is not responsible to fill or would you rather have better quality experiences in the woods, but maybe have to pass on some does because you don't have an antlerless tag for that particular spot? Easy decision for me. I remember the late 2000's and I know that due to predator populations and other factors that some areas still have not recovered. I am not willing to take a chance of returning to those days just to shoot a doe. Simply not worth it.

Post Your Comment
9/21/15 @ 2:16 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
"I kinda like having a buck and a doe tag. I like to take a doe early, then sit and watch bucks. MAYBE even shoot a buck if the right one comes by. Can't do that if I have only one tag. Most years I end up with that doe and that's it so I am hardly hurting the deer population. ChuckC"

Who doesn't like a buck AND a doe tag. However, when resources are limited, that doe tag is not a good idea to fill if the deer population is low. Shooting a buck has literally zero effect on the deer population. If everyone practiced your annual doe shoot, that greatly impacts the deer population.

Post Your Comment
9/21/15 @ 2:14 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
"I agree with your assessment to put more deer on public lands but I would come at it from a different angle. This new license structure does not limit doe removal in the area I hunt by any stretch of the imagination. I live in the fox very area and have access to 5 counties within 30 minutes of my house. Every one of these counties has doe tags available for sale as of this post."

The question is, are public land tags available or only private land tags available in these counties. If public land tags are available, it isn't the fault of the license system, it is the fault of the CDAC. In this case make your voice heard at the meetings. In my area, the public land tags available were extremely low, but there are thousands of private land tags available. That is a good thing in the county I live in.

Post Your Comment
9/21/15 @ 12:27 PM
chuckc
chuckc
USER since 3/21/14
Fish em.

As I read it, you can use either tag first, depending upon what you shoot.

We just need to be more aware of where we are if we are thinking os shooting a doe.

It gets really exciting when the public property you hunt is divided by a county line, meaning you just MIGHT be well off to buy an extra doe tag to cover, or hope the Warden is not looking for you on that lucky day.

I kinda like having a buck and a doe tag. I like to take a doe early, then sit and watch bucks. MAYBE even shoot a buck if the right one comes by. Can't do that if I have only one tag. Most years I end up with that doe and that's it so I am hardly hurting the deer population. ChuckC

Post Your Comment
9/21/15 @ 12:00 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02
Lets go back to the old days with 1 tag per license. Just make it a either sex tag. No one really needs more than one deer. Some people want the antlers and some just want some venison in the freezer. If you need more than 1 deer take up gun and bow hunting.

Post Your Comment
9/21/15 @ 11:44 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I like the county designation and public vs private, but I'd go one step further and take away the free doe tags with the license purchase. Everyone gets a buck tag for bow and a buck tag for gun. If you want a doe tag you buy a bonus. They'd get more of an accurate idea of the number of tags per county then. Now they have no idea what people will pick when they buy a license, take away the guessing game. If they want 500 public land tags, make 500 bonus tags for public available. Not 500 bonuses plus 500 free tags people chose with their license purchase. They may look at past harvest but I still think its a guess with this new system.

Or if the DNR wants more money and the public tags fly off the shelf, start a public land preference point system so that people do not have to race to snatch them up right when they are available.

Just wait until all the gun only hunters start purchasing licenses. I don't mean that in a bad way, there are usually just more people who may not follow it or run into it during bow season. I talked to a guy last weekend who told me I was wrong and that he gets 2 tags for any unit and he hunts in a numbered unit yet.....will be quite the shock for people don't follow this stuff or didn't even realized they did away with the numbered units last year. Someone said there was a guy arguing at Fleet Farm the other day and they referred them to a DNR number haha.

Post Your Comment
9/21/15 @ 10:57 AM
doohop65
doohop65
USER since 2/23/10
JC,

I agree with your assessment to put more deer on public lands but I would come at it from a different angle. This new license structure does not limit doe removal in the area I hunt by any stretch of the imagination. I live in the fox very area and have access to 5 counties within 30 minutes of my house. Every one of these counties has doe tags available for sale as of this post.

What I would recommend is make the anterless tag mobile with your regular archery/gun tag. Make all extra tags more expensive, say $50-100 per additional tag. This would allow folks flexibility to hunt more areas and slow down the guys that kill lots of deer. Additionally if we need to increase deer numbers do away with the additional anterless deer tags.

Allowing flexibility to all hunters while preserving our resources should be the goal. I know many of you may not agree with my plan but I think it will get us to similar ends with a more user friendly approach.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts