Hunting Stands

12/29/14 @ 9:55 AM
ORIGINAL POST
P-Dubs
P-Dubs
USER since 2/4/02
I got some Christmas money and would like to put a couple permanent stands on my hunting land for bow and gun season. I am trying to decide between ladder stands or hang ons with climbing sticks (potentially save some money that way?) Can anyone share their go to setup and any advice? I welcome your thoughts. Thanks. PDUBS
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
1/5/15 @ 3:41 PM
Edward Felcohands
Edward Felcohands
USER since 2/24/09
There is no point in using a hang on as a permanent, every year the tree trunk expands and puts more pressure on the strap and attachment points, and then it can fail on you at any time. They also get grown into the tree which is bad for the tree and may give you a foolish sense of security. I have trees I hunt every year for many years, but I always take down the hang ons after each season. Ladder stands have issues mentioned already on here, but you can just loosen the ratchets each year and leave them, it keeps the stand up on the tree but there is no expansion pressure from tree growth and the stand can move with the tree a little more. Tighten them up in late summer and you are good to go for fall.

Post Your Comment
1/5/15 @ 12:30 PM
fishballs
fishballs
USER since 4/8/04
if you own or lease land, take a look at the facebook website d&d hunting blinds out of appleton. he builds a real nice elevated 4x4 or 4x6 box stand for under $300. we have 3 of them!

Post Your Comment
1/5/15 @ 7:54 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
BFish - Those Menards stands are what I use too. They were under $30 w/rebate this year. Cheap and affective! I will say I think the Rivers Edge cheapy at Fleet Farm has a little more platform room but its a little heavier.

Bolting the legs together makes sense, I might do that.

Edited on 1/5/15 7:55 AM
Post Your Comment
1/2/15 @ 1:57 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
I use pretty much every kind of stand that's out there. For bow season I use 1-man ladder stands, 2-man ladder stands, hang-ons, and a climber. For rifle season I normally use a homemade open window box blind. Out of all of these I prefer a 17' 2-man ladder stand for overall comfortability. I can move around and stretch out if needed and it's hidden enough that deer rarely even look at it whne I'm hunting.

Post Your Comment
1/2/15 @ 1:36 PM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
We use Ladder stands, wood box stands on 16' 4x4, and climbers. Each have Pros and cons.

We use the wooden box stands on 4x4s for gun hunting were you have more range. They are nice because they are larger, you can move, you can build them how you want to with shelves seats roof etc. We have them positioned so our shots are normally 100 yds or more. The down side is they can be very noisy on very cold days and mature does stay away from them.

We use climbers when we are hunting very close to bedding areas and need to sneak in very quietly. We always, put on an extra coat of paint on them when they are new, bolt the legs together, push the legs into the ground to the first step, and strap them in tight. We have had very little problems with noise. The critters will eat the mesh fabric so I stay away from those. For $50 it is tough to beat the ones at Mendards at the end of the season. We mainly use these for bowhunting.

Obviously our Box and Ladder stand are on private land.

We also use Climbers, normally only in remote areas. They are nice because you can hunt about anywhere and the big does don't see them and get smart to them. The down side is they can be noisy when you go up and down and you can push deer out that are bedded very close.

So does this answer your question?

Post Your Comment
1/2/15 @ 11:41 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
build a box blind can find lots of free wood on craigslist

Post Your Comment
12/31/14 @ 8:25 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
A hang on will definitely be quieter and probably have more of a platform to stand on. Ladders are easy and you don't need a rope to pull up your bow or gun. They can be moved very easy, leave them in one piece and put them on your shoulders and go. I notice the creaks from the ladders more so because the tree is moving all year long and it slowly works the ladder down into the ground. That causes it to not be set correctly anymore so there can be play in the ladder sections. I've already set one early in the season and came back to it during gun and had the ladder sections be an inch apart or more. You climb it and your weight then forces it back with a clang. Then when you get out it opens back up, all because it moved throughout the year.

If I did not plan on moving them I'd probably do a hang on stand.

Edited on 12/31/14 8:26 AM
Post Your Comment
12/30/14 @ 9:28 AM
NiteMite
NiteMite
USER since 9/16/01
I know you're trying to save $$, but my experience has been to buy cheaper priced metal permanent stands, only to find all my quite as a mouse prep work was for not. Even if I could get in quietly, a breezy day would get the tree moving and my stand squeaking. I finally spent the $$ on Lone Wolf portable, which also becomes permanent on some hunting grounds. No squeaks, pops or squeals. Sticks were quiet, also. I kick myself for not buying one years and $$ earlier.

Good luck.

Post Your Comment
12/30/14 @ 1:50 AM
dad and daughter
dad and daughter
USER since 6/9/06
I'd have to say for ease in getting in and out a ladder stand .The problem I have experienced is that when the temperature drops,they tend to crack ,pop and ting at the slightest of moving around .I have the old style gorilla hang on and no matter what ,they do not make any noise and very solid stands. They all look good and serve the purpose and when you are shopping just think about Nov hunting rather than Sept hunting when the weather has changed and you have more layers on.

Post Your Comment
12/29/14 @ 4:35 PM
gotacarp
gotacarp
USER since 2/2/10
Id have to say ladder stands. But dont skimp on the ones with the small foot plat forms. I personally like to hunt out of the 1and ahalf man ladder stands.i repaint all mine befor they go in the woods and take themnout at the end of the season too.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts