Homemade food plot equipment

2/10/16 @ 9:19 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Justin01
Justin01
USER since 3/30/13
I' have been kicking around making a disc for my small tractor I have a spring tooth but thinking I need a disk any ideas from guys that made them or tips on what to do or not to do would be great.. I would be doing roughly 3 acres but 2 different areas on same property
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
3/7/16 @ 7:19 AM
gooseslayer
gooseslayer
USER since 2/1/10
Has anyone converted a backpack sprayer into one that can be attached to an atv for larger applications?

Post Your Comment
3/1/16 @ 7:54 AM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Ours weighs somewhere around 275 and 300 lbs. I got a piece of scrap/leftover from a place that sells just culverts. They had a pile of cutoffs behind the building. Got a 18in 5 footer for $60. But that one was too heavy for my liking so we got a smaller piece for free from the landowner we hunt with. (Didn't know he had it at the time or would have started with that). I thought about going double wall...weighing option of more 'cushion' for the concrete vs having grooves for the concrete to fill in and hold on to. After one season I can here small pieces of concrete rolling in it...Prob just because it's not solid concrete all the way through.

Post Your Comment
2/25/16 @ 7:44 AM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02
Cast, Looks great, will work real well for you.

I'm in the process of making one right now. I secured a 5' piece of double wall for free. The only downside is it's 24". I checked at Menards for something similar but smaller diameter, $25\ft in 10' lengths only. I cut the piece in 3 sections to make it (somewhat) easier to handle. Centered the pipe with plywood ends same as you. Filled with concrete, finished that this past Monday after work. Very heavy, way more that what's needed I think but it should work ok for me. If not I'll keep an eye out for some smaller diameter culvert and start over. I'll have the frame so just out some pipe and concrete. I have a buddy who owns a metal fab shop here in town. Got the pipe and a solid 1 7\8" rod for the axle. I'll be picking up the rest of the steel shortly to start welding up the frame. My son is taking a welding class in school so he can get behind the mask on this one.

Good luck plotting this spring!

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 4:48 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
How the tongue is made/connected.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 4:47 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
For size comparison.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 4:46 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Was out at the property today and snapped a couple more pics of that packer..

Post Your Comment
2/13/16 @ 7:44 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
No problem. I'll be around. Pm me if this thread gets buried or bombed. Smile

Post Your Comment
2/13/16 @ 5:45 PM
gooseslayer
gooseslayer
USER since 2/1/10
Thanks cast-away! I may be asking you more questions later this year I think this may be a summer project.

Post Your Comment
2/11/16 @ 9:02 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Sure can. I'd have to go dig it out of the snow for exact measurements but it's either a 12 or 14 in single wall plastic culvert pipe and it's just a bit wider than a atv. Bought a piece of round stock from a metal shop for the axle. Biggest thing is to make sure that it is dead center when you fill the pipe so it doesn't wobble. We made end plates with holes in the center out of plywood and screwed them on the ends and had the axle in place when we pour the concrete. Filling the entire thing with concrete would have made it too heavy for my liking so we cut rings out of 1 in foam insulation (pink board) and stacked them up to take up room inside the pipe. Had to square out holes to slide them over the axle also. To fill the pipe we dug a small hole for the axle to protrude out of the bottom while we strapped the pipe vertically to a tree. The frame/tongue is just threaded black pipe with 90 degree elbows and fittings. We mounted the pillow block bearings to a piece of angle iron, put them in the freezer and left the axle in the sun for a while and slid the bearings on and bolted them onto the pipe frame. I believe we welded a piece of angle iron to the axle at the ends but still inside the tube just for some extra meat for the concrete to grab onto. I think that's just about it....I can take a few better pics of it next time I go out to the property....it only has one season of use so far, so we will see how long it lasts. If you have specific questions, let me know and I can try and be more detailed about a certain part etc.

Post Your Comment
2/11/16 @ 8:24 PM
gooseslayer
gooseslayer
USER since 2/1/10
Cast-away can you go a little more in depth on how you made your cultipacker?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts