Habitat Projects

10/14/15 @ 8:46 AM
ORIGINAL POST
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01
Just wanted to start a thread similar to the Food Plots thread where people can discuss habitat projects and ask advice of others. Our camp has been doing food plots for about 15 years now, but just started getting active with habitat projects the last few years here and ramping it up. So, lets here what people have going on.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 154 Posts
12/4/17 @ 3:49 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01

Madforlabs,

For the screening, it will be closely planted spruce trees.  Hoping to have them form a barrier and then I will leave some trails coming in and out as well as open travel to the south into the main block of our woods.  However for the main cover part the conifers will be spaced out to provide ground cover.  Also plan on having some pockets of hazelnut and American plum in the cover areas as well.  Have you are or anyone else planted that thorny raspberry brush?  The stuff that is waist to chest height?  Thought about mixing that with some oaks as a change of pace as well.  Just don't know the official name and if it is commercially available. 

Post Your Comment
12/4/17 @ 2:15 PM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12

Great outdoors

I planted approx 10 acres around 15 years ago with a mixture of red pine and hybrid aspen for bedding/security cover and also as a screen from being seen from a road across a 40 acre field. Turned out great. Only caution is you need to resist the temptation to plant pines too close together. I spaced them 10 feet apart. That way as they mature you don't loose understory due to crowding. Deer, grouse and turkeys all love it.

Post Your Comment
12/4/17 @ 2:04 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01

Has anyone ever planted a woods from scratch?  I purchased a 30 acre parcel earlier this fall that has about 26 acres open and tillable.  Normally I wouldn't consider this type of parcel, but there were 3 reasons why I bought it.  1, it was adjoining to lands I own or friends own, 2, it is primarily high ground, while most of my land is primarily low ground, and 3, it has excellent soil on it.

I'll be posting more of how this project progresses over the years and as I work on other habitat projects on the original lands.  For 2018, I am screening off the East(neighbor), North (road), and West (buddy).  The South border is land I share with a different buddy.  Between the 2 lands will be a series of hidden fields and food plots stretching 500 yards in length.  Long term for the 30 acres will be planting approx 20 acres of thermal and bedding cover, 5 acres of hardwood mast trees and 5 acres of plots.  In addition to screening in 2018, I will get started planting some of the mast and thermal/bedding cover. 

Post Your Comment
12/2/17 @ 11:19 AM
icebelt
icebelt
USER since 10/22/13

River chaser on my tree farm I get a lot of natural reproduction from white cedar. I never planted red cedar but now 25 years later I have a few that started some how. They are about 3 years old now still small. White birch come up on their own as well they like the edges of moist and dry soil.

Post Your Comment
12/2/17 @ 10:07 AM
alcrumpler
alcrumpler
USER since 7/19/09

Anyone tried wolfraths deer candy apple trees i have 2 one got nipped at the graft. Half apple graft with crab apple supposed to produce lots of apples found the add in back of a wisconsin magazine 

Post Your Comment
12/2/17 @ 8:47 AM
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

There is some good talking going on about apple trees on the Juneau county forum under the archery category for anyone interested!! Some good stuff IMHO-Casedog 

Post Your Comment
5/16/17 @ 11:41 AM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
USER since 8/23/01

Hello guys,

I need some light skid steer work done in northeast waushara county.  About 10 miles south of Waupaca.  Can anyone recommend a business or a guy on the side for cash?  Thanks in advance...messenger is fine. 

Post Your Comment
5/9/17 @ 5:05 PM
Team Crap Eye
Team Crap Eye
USER since 1/24/09

Paint the trunk with Roundup. Don't need huge amounts of chemical, and over spray isn't a concern.

Post Your Comment
5/9/17 @ 9:54 AM
3boys
3boys
USER since 4/18/09

Morning Bluefin, its easy to kill trees, just girdle them. If you want go a step even further after girdling, spray an herbacide inside the cut, dead period. Btw, about me planting douglas firs, i like the way they look and in the future looking at select cut $$. Ive planted plenty of whites/red pines, balsms and native firs. Dougs just look nice. Chestnuts are not native, but i like them as well :).

Post Your Comment
5/9/17 @ 9:28 AM
bluefin16
bluefin16
USER since 1/9/08

So, not to side track to far, but  i just took a black willow down in my yard. It was a huge tree, probably pushing 3-4 foot in diameter at the base.  Question is, how do i kill the trunck off? This thing is just gonna keep suckering forever if i dont find a way to kill it. It is right next to a pond so huge amounts of chemicals wont be doable. Seems stupid maybe , but would it work to paint the trunk? Seal it off and let it dry out?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 154 Posts