Gun deer license sales

11/19/17 @ 8:55 PM
ORIGINAL POST
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

Does anyone know how many gun , bow and crossbow licenses were sold this year in Wisconsin?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 55 Posts
11/27/17 @ 7:18 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
One year I shot 2 bucks. The first buck was much bigger and the gun buck was a spike. I regretted shooting the second deer and never did it again. I shoot about 1 deer every two years, buck or doe, makes no difference.

Edited on 11/27/17 7:19 PM
Post Your Comment
11/27/17 @ 10:39 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Bottomline,  there should be a way to make sure someone can't shoot another buck or deer with the same tag.  My biggest issue ethically with that is,  If you shot a buck already,  aren't you proud enough ?  If you shot a smaller buck than you wanted,  that's your fault and no one else.

I don't see the point of people shooting two small bucks anyway....the slobs will be slobs.  You kill one buck,  regardless of size,  be happy with it.  Most aren't shooting two mature bucks with a bow in a year.  Most times it's hard to get one every year or every couple muchless two in a season.  Gun that's another story.

Post Your Comment
11/27/17 @ 10:08 AM
fishnhunt14
fishnhunt14
USER since 4/17/07
Completely agree with long barrels except for the calling in before transport part since I don't have service in alot of areas I hunt.  Here's the perfect example why I want tags back.  Opening day of gun season I shot a 9 point buck on public land.  I gutted the buck and tried to drag it up a steep hill and could hardly get it to budge.  My uncle was hunting on the other side of the property but we did not have any cell service.  I had to leave my buck, walk out, drive down the road, walk in to his spot and then go back to my buck, probably took over 30 minutes. I had to leave a trophy buck in the woods untagged on public land with other hunters around.  I did not like this at all.  I took pictures of the deer with my phone for evidence in case anyone tried to steal it that way I had some proof as far as time of kill. I'd feel a little better leaving it with a tag attached.

Post Your Comment
11/27/17 @ 8:33 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13
Why even have wardens honestly? There has been  scheming from within our WDNR to forever lower deer populations. In fact they neve do seem to get low enough. If they really want to finish the deer population off for good lower the fine for poaching to like a $50 fine. No tagging and you're  almost there anyways. Only in Wisconsin. 

Post Your Comment
11/27/17 @ 7:49 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

They need to spend the money and implement a paper sticker,  just like every other state.  Something needs to go on that deer saying it's yours.  Something to deter someone from reusing a tag.  Must be slit,  signed,  called in immediately before transporting.  It's a must.  

It still doesn't stop people from using others tags,  but that's been going on a LONG time.  The DNR probably doesn't mind that,  at least they are getting more money.  LOL

Edited on 11/27/17 7:50 AM
Post Your Comment
11/23/17 @ 1:17 PM
Whitetailfever29
Whitetailfever29
USER since 11/20/12

OMG!! So Sorry, 26 years then, forgive me for rounding. I forgot what site I'm on. When I first starting hunting you had to apply for a party tag to shoot a doe. Then it went to applying for a hunters choice to shoot a buck or doe with one license and hopefully you got one every other year if you wanted to shoot a doe. The majority of hunters were not getting 7 tags a year, otherwise the herd decimation would of started way before CWD.

Post Your Comment
11/23/17 @ 11:15 AM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

" Twentyfive years ago you got one license" . Not true, in 1992 I was allowed 7 doe tags for unit 20 ( west Price co.) and a buck tag just for a gun license. 

Post Your Comment
11/23/17 @ 8:51 AM
Whitetailfever29
Whitetailfever29
USER since 11/20/12

Brew, Totally missed the point. If they sell 600,000 licenses today, it's really 1,200,000 plus licenses. You base the ratio on amount of licenses available now, not the number of hunters. Plus you can still group gun hunt today so it means nothing in this formula.

Post Your Comment
11/23/17 @ 8:41 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

Very interesting 2017 gun kill numbers so far. I wonder if the WDNR managers or our elected politicians have any idea how big of a drop in license sales kill numbers like this should get them next year. And after a few years of ideal winters statewide no less.  Time to hire some more ad men in Madison......either that or some competent wildlife managers .Circus indeed. 

Edited on 11/23/17 8:42 AM
Post Your Comment
11/23/17 @ 8:33 AM
brews4995
brews4995
USER since 4/2/10

No 25 years ago, when you filled your tag,  you just joined up and group hunted, helping others fill their tag. Thats what happened all over. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 55 Posts