MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Gun deer license sales

11/19/17 @ 9:55 PM
INITIAL POST
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Does anyone know how many gun , bow and crossbow licenses were sold this year in Wisconsin?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 55 posts
11/27/17 @ 8:18 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
One year I shot 2 bucks. The first buck was much bigger and the gun buck was a spike. I regretted shooting the second deer and never did it again. I shoot about 1 deer every two years, buck or doe, makes no difference.
11/27/17 @ 11:39 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Bottomline,  there should be a way to make sure someone can't shoot another buck or deer with the same tag.  My biggest issue ethically with that is,  If you shot a buck already,  aren't you proud enough ?  If you shot a smaller buck than you wanted,  that's your fault and no one else.

I don't see the point of people shooting two small bucks anyway....the slobs will be slobs.  You kill one buck,  regardless of size,  be happy with it.  Most aren't shooting two mature bucks with a bow in a year.  Most times it's hard to get one every year or every couple muchless two in a season.  Gun that's another story.

11/27/17 @ 11:08 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
Completely agree with long barrels except for the calling in before transport part since I don't have service in alot of areas I hunt.  Here's the perfect example why I want tags back.  Opening day of gun season I shot a 9 point buck on public land.  I gutted the buck and tried to drag it up a steep hill and could hardly get it to budge.  My uncle was hunting on the other side of the property but we did not have any cell service.  I had to leave my buck, walk out, drive down the road, walk in to his spot and then go back to my buck, probably took over 30 minutes. I had to leave a trophy buck in the woods untagged on public land with other hunters around.  I did not like this at all.  I took pictures of the deer with my phone for evidence in case anyone tried to steal it that way I had some proof as far as time of kill. I'd feel a little better leaving it with a tag attached.
11/27/17 @ 8:49 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

They need to spend the money and implement a paper sticker,  just like every other state.  Something needs to go on that deer saying it's yours.  Something to deter someone from reusing a tag.  Must be slit,  signed,  called in immediately before transporting.  It's a must.  

It still doesn't stop people from using others tags,  but that's been going on a LONG time.  The DNR probably doesn't mind that,  at least they are getting more money.  LOL

11/23/17 @ 2:17 PM
Whitetailfever29
User since 11/20/12

OMG!! So Sorry, 26 years then, forgive me for rounding. I forgot what site I'm on. When I first starting hunting you had to apply for a party tag to shoot a doe. Then it went to applying for a hunters choice to shoot a buck or doe with one license and hopefully you got one every other year if you wanted to shoot a doe. The majority of hunters were not getting 7 tags a year, otherwise the herd decimation would of started way before CWD.

11/23/17 @ 12:15 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

" Twentyfive years ago you got one license" . Not true, in 1992 I was allowed 7 doe tags for unit 20 ( west Price co.) and a buck tag just for a gun license. 

11/23/17 @ 9:51 AM
Whitetailfever29
User since 11/20/12

Brew, Totally missed the point. If they sell 600,000 licenses today, it's really 1,200,000 plus licenses. You base the ratio on amount of licenses available now, not the number of hunters. Plus you can still group gun hunt today so it means nothing in this formula.

11/23/17 @ 9:33 AM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

No 25 years ago, when you filled your tag,  you just joined up and group hunted, helping others fill their tag. Thats what happened all over. 

11/23/17 @ 9:13 AM
Whitetailfever29
User since 11/20/12

Don't forget that 25 years ago every hunter only got 1 tag per hunter. Once filled, they were done for that season. Now every hunter gets two tags with the option of buying more which allows a previously successful hunters to continue hunting. It essentially doubles the number of hunters in the woods. The success ratio should be based on tags given out, not the number of hunters.

11/22/17 @ 10:03 PM
Lastcastmaybeknot
User since 4/20/16

Cheaters cheat. Tags or not. 

11/22/17 @ 9:23 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

There is no doubt that many "shady " hunters are not registering their deer so they can go back out again. Actually, a warden walking up to a deer camp with several deer hanging would have a hard time figuring if any were not registered. How would he know?  I would gladly pay another 5 bucks to go back to the old way except back tags.  I shot a doe on Monday Nov. 13th. I hung it in the garage , that night ,went out to eat the next night and darn near forgot to call it in. I called it 25 hrs after the kill. How many would just not bother? I think hunters should at least have to tg it with the kill info on it.  was down 12% state wide. The northern units had an increase. Of course the weather was blamed, but I heard it was nasty in southern WIs. It was not exactly cozy up north neither  on Sunday with a low of 13 degrees. 

11/22/17 @ 10:24 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
I agree...the cat was out of the bag a couple of years ago when the vinyl tags went away.....
11/22/17 @ 8:46 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

LOTS OF IT!  Once someone has a deer skinned, quartered and in the freezer....out of sight out of mind.  The DNR doesn't care....they would need to start busting people like other states before people are 100% honest.  Kill em,  throw em in the truck and go.  

What WI needs to do about lost revenue is start charging the "No good brother -in- law" from Illinois $500 per season to hunt....just like states NR fees to our south.  Charge NR though the teeth.  It would cost me over $300 to shoot a turkey in Iowa.  $700 to kill a deer with a bow after points.  Don't let the NR hunters rape the land for pennies anymore.

11/22/17 @ 7:50 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

I wonder how many extra bucks will get shot with this new tagging system. Once you shoot one and get it home hanging in your garage the odds of getting checked by a warden are slim at best. Get it cut up and don't register it then go back to woods for another one. I would never do this but I bet some people will. I know that a poacher will poach either way but this new system just makes it that much easier.  

I like the no back tags and online/ phone registration but wish they would have kept the green plastic tags. Once you punch those it's done, assuming you don't buy duplicates.  

11/22/17 @ 3:50 AM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

How much is the new tagging and registration sytem (or lack there of) responsible? People just say hell with it.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 55 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE