Group hunting

1/18/16 @ 10:54 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Grimreaper416
Grimreaper416
USER since 1/18/16
So why can you group hunt with a gun but not with a bow? Makes no sense to me...
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
1/9/19 @ 10:33 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
Another rule that should be changed in my opinion.  Party tagging really takes a toll on the deer herd on the public land I hunt.  

Post Your Comment
1/7/19 @ 12:03 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I don't see that in the regs, just says you must be licensed.  Only the person the deer is shot for has to show proof of a tag.  Tag and license are 2 different things.

Post Your Comment
1/7/19 @ 12:00 PM
woodturner
woodturner
USER since 2/12/04

You need to be a licensed deer hunter to be a group hunter, whether your kill tag is filled or not and must carry a firearm. Drivers only do not need a deer hunting license and may not carry a firearm.

Post Your Comment
1/7/19 @ 11:41 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
USER since 1/5/05

Last time I read the regulations fully it was my understanding if YOU don't have a valid tag it is illegal for you to fill someone else's tag because you legally can not be hunting without a valid tag for yourself. I think very few party hunting groups actually follow this law. I know a couple groups that guys buy doe tags specifically so they can hunt all 9 days and possibly fill someone else's buck tag in the group.

Another reason why I really dislike gun season. Which is funny because that's what got me into hunting to start with then I was 12.

Post Your Comment
1/7/19 @ 12:06 AM
rvrbt
rvrbt
USER since 3/24/10

Deer hunting traditionally was families and friends hunting together to get meat . Some people say you shouldn't be in the woods if you got your buck . I say if your Dad wants you to fill his tag while he's out there why not ? As long as it's a valid tag who cares who fills it.

Post Your Comment
1/6/19 @ 11:11 PM
Clearwater Alask Outfitters
Clearwater Alask Outfitters
USER since 10/18/18

According to me, gun hunting is much safer than bow hunting.

Post Your Comment
1/18/16 @ 5:26 PM
Malleye
Malleye
USER since 10/4/10
From what I recall, the DNR allow group hunting because everyone was doing it anyway and there was no good way to stop it. It was pure fatalism by the DNR and law enforcement.

We had those cool two-part tags at the time. I've proposed that we should go back to those tags and if you don't have a full back tag, you should not be allowed to be in the woods with a firearm that is (by the legal definition) usable for deer hunting.

Post Your Comment
1/18/16 @ 11:10 AM
Grimreaper416
Grimreaper416
USER since 1/18/16
True! But the logic of the Dnr to kill off all the deer and have laws like this is just dumb! Just like having to buy multiple antlerless tags if you hunt multiple counties...

Post Your Comment
1/18/16 @ 11:05 AM
jlkohl
jlkohl
USER since 6/9/02
Better question is, why is it even allowed at all?

Post Your Comment