fruit treesfor deer?

4/28/14 @ 2:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BIG MOSS 24-7
BIG MOSS 24-7
USER since 11/2/09
I would like to plant some fruit trees on my land. I only have about three acres and it's river bottom.I'm looking for some trees that hold there fruit well into winter because late season archery is my favorite time to hunt. If i can find some that produce fruit in a year or two that would be a bonus too! Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 34 Posts
5/23/14 @ 1:23 PM
badgerfowl1
badgerfowl1
USER since 10/1/12
Do you know what varieties they were? Mice can still get them if they have the white spiral type of tree wrap. Usually its not til the tree is stretching the wrap though.

Post Your Comment
5/20/14 @ 1:21 PM
badgerfowl
badgerfowl
USER since 10/1/12
Here's a Hudson's Golden Gem from Burnt Ridge. The lowest 2 branches will likely get trimmed next spring. Then I'll have several to choose from to set as my first set of scaffolds at or near 5'.

Post Your Comment
5/20/14 @ 1:18 PM
badgerfowl
badgerfowl
USER since 10/1/12
Yes, it is recommended to head back the leader at planting. I've forgotten to do this and the trees didn't seem to have any ill effects. I remembered to do it this year. Cutting the low branches certainly won't hurt. My goal is to get the lowest ones to 5' as fast as I can. The main goal of the guide stake is to get a nice straight central leader. That should help with fruit loads in the future.

Post Your Comment
5/20/14 @ 1:13 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
Good to hear. They were very dry unfortunately just after getting them but I soaked them for an hour before planting, then watered at planting and we got a nice 1/2 inch 6 hour soaker last night around green bay. Three of my trees can be watered from 55 gallon barrels in seconds.

I have no complaints with them. I was thinking about the stake more from now until they set with new roots not from the angle of 2 years in and having some top weight growing.

Do you do anything with the trees when you plant as far as pruning back? I had a few branches that were 1.5 feet off the ground I just cut off right away. Waste of energy growing so low to the ground. I did not cut back the main leader although I have seen it recommended.

Edited on 5/20/14 1:16 PM
Post Your Comment
5/20/14 @ 1:07 PM
badgerfowl
badgerfowl
USER since 10/1/12
Yea I've got those rootstocks (except the standard) and am only using a 1/2" conduit 10' long for a guide stake. No problems yet but my trees are just starting to bear fruit. I'm hoping to add a Whitney some day. And a chestnut and centennial crab as well. I've got 19 trees now and possibly 4 more coming next year so it's beginning to become a good deal of work just taking care of these. I told myself I'd stop at 16...

My burnt ridge trees were runts to begin with in 2012 but now they are all around 8' and should begin bearing next year.

Here's my Dolgo on B118. Planted last year. Pic from this past weekend. We are in a frost pocket in the river bottoms and this is the earliest bloomer of the ones I've got planted. Not even 4' tall yet.

Edited on 5/20/14 1:14 PM
Post Your Comment
5/20/14 @ 12:53 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
Wolf River was Semi dwarf on B118.........Dolgo CRab - Standard........... Liberty - Standard...........Enterprise Semi Dwarf on M7........ Whitney Crab Semi Dwarf on M7

Best I could do as they made me change my order a month after I ordered, and I got permision to put 3 apples on a friends place where I took my bow buck this year. Tiny property but just the right spot for a tiny property.

I put a wolf, dolgo and whitney in 2 spots on my land and enterprise, liberty, wolf on his.

Edited on 5/20/14 12:54 PM
Post Your Comment
5/20/14 @ 12:49 PM
badgerfowl
badgerfowl
USER since 10/1/12
What rootstock did you get them on slosh? I ordered 4 from Burnt Ridge in 2012, all on B118, which is almost a standard size tree. For those I'm just using 1/2" conduit to guide the tree. That rootstock should anchor itself good enough to not need a permanent stake. I've got some semi-dwarf on M7 and EMLA 7 rootstock (about 50% of full size) and I still just have them staked to the 1/2" conduit. For anything smaller than that a more heavy duty T-post might be better.

That's too bad lookin! I lost a Liberty this past winter due to not having window screen on and the mice or w/e girdling the trunk at the base. It's on the rest of my trees now!

Post Your Comment
5/20/14 @ 4:07 AM
BIG MOSS 24-7
BIG MOSS 24-7
USER since 11/2/09
Thanks for all the info, I'm going to be planting this weekend!

Post Your Comment
5/19/14 @ 2:38 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
How important do you think steaking the trees is? Otherwise I have the same setup as you minus the black plastic on all of them. 10 foot of fence, 3 feet of window screen for mice protection, added a little lime and compast plus topped with mulch. Holes were twice as deep as three times as wide as needed.

I got enterprise, liberty, wolf river, whitney and dolgo crabs from Burnt Ridge in Washington.

Post Your Comment
5/19/14 @ 1:22 PM
lookn' 4 PnY
lookn' 4 PnY
USER since 7/15/05
Thanks for the pics Badger. I planted the exact trio of apple trees you posted. Lost the Freedom and enterprise to the tornadoes last August but up until then they were strong growers.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 34 Posts