SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Forest County Deer Hunting

11/11/01 @ 5:18 PM
INITIAL POST
Pat
User since 6/15/01
Does anyone else hunt Forest county north of Crandon? I have hunted this area for 40 years and there are very few other hunters. Most years I don't see another boot track in the snow the whole season. These deer are really dying of old age in alot of these areas. I manage to get a buck most every year. Pat

Displaying 20 to 29 of 703 posts
4/21/20 @ 7:21 AM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

I agree that many youth doe tags are filled by family members. Take the kids turkey hunting and leave the does alone for a few years. We really haven't had a rough winter up here for 5 years. I'm a little surprised the deer population hasn't improved at all, at least where I'm at (Hiles).

I saw more deer the fall of 2013 deer hunting then in any season since. The winters of 2013/14 and 2014/15 were brutal. I don't think the deer have recovered.

4/20/20 @ 9:07 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

The Biologist wanted 300 antlerless permits plus all youth license's holders could shoot their doe also, but the CDAC voted to only let the youth hunters shoot a doe but to have a 0 quota for does for the rest of the hunters . Trouble is everyone knows half the youth doe permits filled are shot by an adult.

4/20/20 @ 1:55 PM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

Yama,

What did the DNR Biologist recommend? I just filled out the feedback for 2020 CDAC recommendations on the DNR site and it looked to me like a buck only season is being suggested. I could be wrong in how i interpreted the question though. 

4/18/20 @ 6:08 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

After listening to the DNR Biologists recommendations for the Forest County CDAC I thought I should take a ride to see all the deer we are supposed to have in our County. Took about a 40 mile UTV ride through the National Forest south of Armstrong Creek and I think I have to disagree with our biologist. We got our snow 6 days ago and I seen maybe 25 sets of deer tracks cross the road, 1 set of bear tracks. The alarming thing is I easily seen over 100 sets of wolf tracks crossing the road in the snow. The freshest set of deer tracks I seen had about 5 sets of wolf tracks hot on its trail so I have a bad feeling for that poor deer. A now retired biologist told me about 5 years ago " you only have maybe 10 deer per square mile after this last bad winter. Now each wolf needs 20 deer to survive, each pack has about 5 wolves in it so do the math and that's why there are no deer left in some areas of the northern Wisconsin "

12/18/19 @ 7:08 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

23" of snow on the ground NE of Laona already. Very bad start to the winter for the deer. 

12/4/19 @ 10:38 AM
remfire
User since 1/31/05

As an add on to my comments yesterday.  Last year our group (of 5) saw 7 deer.  5 doe, 2 fawn and 1 buck.  I also saw a group of 3 wolves running over a ridge line and my son's walking in saw a group of 7 wolves run across an old railroad grade.  When driving the fire lanes north of Hiles sometimes we see as many wolf tracks as deer tracks after a fresh snow. Yes, the late season and the Wed. night snow storm affected the 2019 hunt, but the number of wolves in the area just adds to the problem.  

12/3/19 @ 9:34 AM
remfire
User since 1/31/05

I've been hunting north of Hiles for 60 yrs now.  In the same area for the last 50 yrs. Usually we have 5-6 hunters in camp.  This was one of our worst years. We get to our stands in the dark and leave after 4:30 in the late afternoon. This year my youngest son saw a doe with 2 fawns and 2 wolves ,,, all on Monday morning.  My oldest son hunted 7 1/2 days and saw no deer. By far one of our worst years.  With the Wed. snow storm we were able to see the deer movement thru the area thru Sat. and most moved at night. Very few moved during daylight.

12/2/19 @ 10:13 AM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
User since 8/23/01

Wolf tracks and multiple coyote sightings.  Also had pack of 5+ howling Tuesday AM.  Did get this find at least.  Anyone have any recipes for shed soup?  Received roughly 15 inches of snow yesterday.  That was on top of 4 on the ground already.  Early winter has set in.  

12/1/19 @ 7:02 PM
mr.wally
User since 4/16/04

I agree, been coming to the carter area for 30 plus years and this was by far the worst season. Very little shooting opening weekend and very few hunters to move the deer. I am not sure if I will make it back next year, never went this long without shooting a deer!!

12/1/19 @ 10:41 AM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
User since 8/23/01

12 hunters out of Carter.  1 miss of a 4 pointer opening day...1 spike passed opening day.  No deer seen after Tuesday.  Skunked.  Worst deer season ever.  Im talking 50 years of record keeping.  Keep coming up for tradition.  That may have ended this year.  Yikes  

Displaying 20 to 29 of 703 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE